Dying Betta

I'm not offended at all; we just seem to have a difference of opinion.
Still can't find any information on keeping hard water fish, with soft water fish in a community aquarium with betta fish of opposite genders which will breed in that set up...

I also don't believe that I'm abusing my fish and it isn't considerate to call someone "mental" because they have a different opinion.

I also don't believe that I'm abusing my fish and it isn't considerate to call someone "mental" because they have a different opinion.
"Difference of opinion" every time you've commented you've contributed more evidence to the neglect and abuse of your fish. I don't understand why I'm expected to accept it and not be pissed off by it

Still can't find any information on keeping hard water fish, with soft water fish in a community aquarium with betta fish of opposite genders which will breed in that set up...

Overwhelmingly outweighing evidence against it from credible sources

🤷‍♀️You're allowed to have your own opinion and I can have my own opinion. However, you haven't given any evidence from you're "credible sources".

I moved my baby fish to my main tank and did a water change on the nursey tank. I added a fungal cure and a lot of aquarium salt and now I'm just waiting for the temperature to go up before I put the betta in. Is it okay to have hi in the salty water overnight? (It's not as concentrated as a salt bath).

Do I refrain from questioning fish abuse to please you? Do you have any suggestions as to how I can question why someone is subjecting their fish to stress?
Is it really your place to question them about such things? I don’t think attacking people about the way they are managing their tank is helpful in the long run toward whatever goal you could have in doing so. I hate how people come onto this forum with sincere questions and get bullied about stuff they’re not even asking about. Compared to the sad tanks the fish are kept in at the fish stores before the person buys them, it would still be an upgrade from the situation they were in even if it’s not perfect by your standards.

I moved my baby fish to my main tank and did a water change on the nursey tank. I added a fungal cure and a lot of aquarium salt and now I'm just waiting for the temperature to go up before I put the betta in. Is it okay to have hi in the salty water overnight? (It's not as concentrated as a salt bath).
Yikes, this was an interesting read.

Dropsy is close to incurable, as it is a bacterial infection and signs usually don't show up quick enough for treatment to work. However, you can definitely try the salt baths. I don't think it is okay to do overnight salt baths with bettas, try to keep him in for a couple hours. However, listen to @Colin_T more on the salt baths as I am not as experienced as he is with diseases.

Bettas generally shouldn't be kept with other fish breeds. However, I have seen it work. It depends on the temperament and genetics your betta has. Your betta looks like a veiltail which tend to be less aggressive and more laid back.
If you don't see an excessive amount of flaring or if your betta has been fine for a long while, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Look for aggression in the other fish as well towards your betta because livebearers are mild fish but will get aggressive on occasion. If there is nothing else proving to cause this ailment, it could be his genetics or he is a victim of bullying and has gotten very stressed (also, if your water parameters change a lot, that can stress a fish out as well).

You sound like you know what you are doing and I wouldn't call what you are doing fish abuse. It is just going against what most fish keepers advise and that is okay if it works for you and your fish.

Do a large water change as well, I don't think anyone has said that yet but I could be wrong. About 85% should do the trick.

I really hope he gets better :(

@Colin_T how many salt baths should I do and what amount of salt should I add?
Aquarium salt (sodium chloride) is recommended to help treat parasites and some infections. I believe it can also help with early cases of dropsy since it is caused by bacteria, but when it starts to show symptoms like this it's usually too late to treat it.

Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) is used to relieve bloating and release liquids, which is why I recommend using it in this case. You add 1 tablespoon per gallon of water and leave him in it for about 10 minutes. You can do this everyday.

Because dropsy is almost always fatal and difficult to treat, I would give priority to the Epsom salt to lessen his suffering and help release the pressure from the swelling.

Is it really your place to question them about such things? I don’t think attacking people about the way they are managing their tank is helpful in the long run toward whatever goal you could have in doing so. I hate how people come onto this forum with sincere questions and get bullied about stuff they’re not even asking about. Compared to the sad tanks the fish are kept in at the fish stores before the person buys them, it would still be an upgrade from the situation they were in even if it’s not perfect by your standards.
When it's a factor to the problem, yes. Because I care about how the fish are treated, yes. Because this is a public place where everyone can share their opinion, yes. If you read the comments, it's sounds as if the fish are neglected which has created the whole problem. I hate how fish are seen as an easily replaceable pet and people like you defend others that are mistreating their pets. I'm happy to be the bad guy for good reasons. I don't care.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not supporting the mistreatment of animals. Do you really think that berating someone and beating them over the head with your opinion is going to make them adopt your advice? It doesn't further your cause of animals being treated fairly it just makes you a jerk. And I'm guessing makes you feel good about yourself or something.

I'm not supporting the mistreatment of animals. Do you really think that berating someone and beating them over the head with your opinion is going to make them adopt your advice? It doesn't further your cause of animals being treated fairly it just makes you a jerk. And I'm guessing makes you feel good about yourself or something.
No, I tried to offer advice about the problematic stocking before being told that it's supposedly all fine and not a problem. With more and more evidence of the fish being mistreated in every comment, I eventually got pissed off about it. Tbh, I don't really care for your opinion, but here I am explaining myself to you because for some reason you wanted to involve yourself. If I see fish abuse/neglect on a fishkeeping forum, I'm calling it out.

Most reactions

Back