Dying Betta

I find it absolutely hilarious that people have more of a problem with my behaviour than they do with fish abuse 😂 on a fishkeeping forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I kind of already figured out that you aren't interested in my opinion. While your motivations might be coming from a good place I just think it's not right for people to turn to a forum for advice and instead they get shamed. I don't think that's helpful for anyone. I've seen it happen a lot and I guess I got tired of just clicking off without calling it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Disguised swearing is not allowed and those words have been edited out. People are entitled to their opinions and can post them. Let’s just be respectful of each other. Otherwise we will have to lock this thread.

I cleaned up this thread. If thread goes downhill again, the thread will be locked. People have given their opinions - the OP can decide whether he will follow them or choose to do otherwise.

Yikes, this was an interesting read.

Dropsy is close to incurable, as it is a bacterial infection and signs usually don't show up quick enough for treatment to work. However, you can definitely try the salt baths. I don't think it is okay to do overnight salt baths with bettas, try to keep him in for a couple hours. However, listen to @Colin_T more on the salt baths as I am not as experienced as he is with diseases.

Bettas generally shouldn't be kept with other fish breeds. However, I have seen it work. It depends on the temperament and genetics your betta has. Your betta looks like a veiltail which tend to be less aggressive and more laid back.
If you don't see an excessive amount of flaring or if your betta has been fine for a long while, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Look for aggression in the other fish as well towards your betta because livebearers are mild fish but will get aggressive on occasion. If there is nothing else proving to cause this ailment, it could be his genetics or he is a victim of bullying and has gotten very stressed (also, if your water parameters change a lot, that can stress a fish out as well).

You sound like you know what you are doing and I wouldn't call what you are doing fish abuse. It is just going against what most fish keepers advise and that is okay if it works for you and your fish.

Do a large water change as well, I don't think anyone has said that yet but I could be wrong. About 85% should do the trick.

I really hope he gets better :(
I have never seen my betta flare at the other fish or bully anyone neither have my fish bullied him. Every since I added him to my tank, I have closely monitored his behavior, especially as he got bigger. He can even be more gentle than my swordtails. Not sure if that is from genetics or being raised in a community tank.

I moved from Long Island to NH four months ago and the fish moved with me. I think the different water bothered him a little bit and I'm still working to get it to where the fish are used to. That may have contributed to the ick which contributed to the dropsy.

I kept the betta in my hospital tank overnight with the salt and an anti-fungal. He's still alive, and swimming a little more. Should I do a water change or would that stress him out too much at this point?

Thank you:)

Last edited:
When it's a factor to the problem, yes. Because I care about how the fish are treated, yes. Because this is a public place where everyone can share their opinion, yes. If you read the comments, it's sounds as if the fish are neglected which has created the whole problem. I hate how fish are seen as an easily replaceable pet and people like you defend others that are mistreating their pets. I'm happy to be the bad guy for good reasons. I don't care.
I'm afraid you misunderstand me. My fish are not "easily replaceable." They are all special to me, especially this betta, and I take care of them to the best of my ability. I also DO NOT neglect my fish. I'm not sure what I said that would give you that impression.

Aquarium salt (sodium chloride) is recommended to help treat parasites and some infections. I believe it can also help with early cases of dropsy since it is caused by bacteria, but when it starts to show symptoms like this it's usually too late to treat it.

Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) is used to relieve bloating and release liquids, which is why I recommend using it in this case. You add 1 tablespoon per gallon of water and leave him in it for about 10 minutes. You can do this everyday.

Because dropsy is almost always fatal and difficult to treat, I would give priority to the Epsom salt to lessen his suffering and help release the pressure from the swelling.
Okay, good to know. I don't have any on hand, but I'll run out and get some. It should the one with no additives or anything, right?

Serious question: How much water should I change right now, if at all?

Okay, good to know. I don't have any on hand, but I'll run out and get some. It should the one with no additives or anything, right?
Yep, I’m not sure how it is where you live but I think the magnesium sulfate is usually sold pure. As for the sodium chloride, always use the one without additives or the one made for fish. Table salt should never be used because it has iodine and can be very dangerous for them.

Most reactions

Back