Dawn On The Reef

FINISHED IT!
Below is my newly configured Sump, which was performed inorder to accomodate a recently aquired V2 Skim 400 (Protein Skimmer) which needed to be installed in the cabinet beneath the tank. The Sump itself measures only 10"x10"x14.5" and has three small compartments.

Picture215.jpg

Very small sump. The flow will be from right to left, as you look at the pic.
Will it work, I bloody hope so. :lol:
Regards
BigC

Looks fine to me, just try and keep the corrigated outlet hose thing as level as possible. If the water has to run up hill at all then the thing just overflows backwards and out the cup. I discovered this and got a wet floor while experimenting :grr:

Silicone work looks neater than mine

just try and keep the corrigated outlet hose thing as level as possible. If the water has to run up hill at all then the thing just overflows backwards and out the cup
Cheers Ben for that little tip.
I'm gonna take off the anti kink pipe device (corrugated end) as I dont really need that for this application. and if I need to cut the pipe somewhat I will look at that aspect also.
Thanks again
BigC

I dont use the kink thing either, i would imagine that would only be useful on the back of a tank to keep things neat. Whats the plans for the other compartments then?

Now your adding a few SPS will you be using any sort of reactor at all? I would like to add a few more frags so im looking at nitrate/phosphate reactors. whats your views?

cheers

I am impressed with that sump Big C most economical. What thickness is that glass? I looks really thick, it isn't 10mm is it?

I was thinking of building a tank but for the 10mm stuff it is really expensive £194 just for the galss, but it looks (and is) incredibly sturdy.

Regards

Now your adding a few SPS will you be using any sort of reactor at all? I would like to add a few more frags so im looking at nitrate/phosphate reactors. whats your views?
To be honest Ben I dont think you need them, for SPS I think a Calcium reactor, good lighting and good flow would be better options.

Hi CF
The sump glass is only 6mm plate and 4mm float for the weirs.
I know glass is very expensive these days as I have to price it all the time.
Regards
BigC

YES, at least theres one sucess story among the doom n gloom.
The sump and skimmer are functioning perfectly, I am bloody relieved I can tell you. The water levels remain pretty much constant and the pump does not drain the last compartment. Just need to get the Carbon and Rowa back in and jobs a gudun.
Below are some pics from earlier.

Picture220.jpg

Just startin up

Picture223.jpg

Shes starting to collect.

Picture226-1.jpg

The ATC300 doing the bizz.

Picture228-1.jpg

All tidy again love.

Well that was one helluva afternoon,
Time for a JD methinks and watch the skimmer....skim.
Regards
BigC

ps. Had to use the Flow Regulator on the sump pump Ben as the skimmer was getting too much flow and the collection cup was over filling. Only turned it down very slightly.

Nice work C,
Looks great, I think ive got sump envy.
Thanks,
I'm pretty pleased it's working as it should for a start. I will let the skimmer bed in for a couple of days to find its own level then I'll readjust.
But everything is fine at present.
Whilst installing the new sump I also re-newed all the Eheim Flexi-pipe and cleaned the return pump and connectors and taps, the flow around the main tank is amazing now. Its suprising how much flow you loose over a period of time due to gunged up pipework.
Regards
BigC

Looks spot on mate, did you not upgrade the eturn pump then?
I wouldnt be suprised if my skimmer pipe or pump is a bit clogged up then and thats why i can miss the regulator

did you not upgrade the eturn pump then?
Dont think I really need to Ben, I have another namely a NewJet3000 but it looks like I won't be needing that at the mo.
Being a small tank that skimmer model means that I'll be over skimming in any case.

I wouldnt be suprised if my skimmer pipe or pump is a bit clogged up then and thats why i can miss the regulator
Quite possible, although I would say seing as mines started to bed in somewhat now I am going to open the regulator valve some more, but again not fully.
Regards
BigC

Most reactions

Back