Dawn On The Reef

I tried last night to stimulate an emergence of polyps like you suggested (I must apologise as it wasn't entirely as you suggested instead of cyclopeeze I used phytochrom 1-30 micron particles). The polyps looked like they were going to come out but after ~20ml never revealed their tentacles (a bit like my girlfriend if you know what I mean ;) ). I can't get hold of any cyclopeeze until the shops open again, but do you think it will make much difference? I fed brine shrimp to the fish like normal and still little activity...... WAIT..... I see a small polyp with an even small polyp hidden behind; this could be the start of something beautiful :lol: !!! I'll be back with more information when I investigate a bit further.

Many thanks

Regards

WAIT..... I see a small polyp with an even small polyp hidden behind; this could be the start of something beautiful !!! I'll be back with more information when I investigate a bit further.

The suspense is killin me :lol:
I've heard of time-lapse photography but......

Regards
BigC

You think I should branch out into writing Novels; screw medicine :lol:. Nothing else has happened in the last few minutes, if anything they seem to be retracting once more. Do you remember where Ski posted the calibration solution directions for refractometers (I calibrated like the instruction suggested with distilled water but I think it would be nice to confirm this); I recently aquired one. Family are so kind along with 15 pairs of socks, my feet are cold no more :lol: !! My hydrometer and refractometer are disagreeing by 0.04 S.G; the hydrometer is saying the tank is 1.026 whereas the refractometer is saying that it is 1.030. If the refractometer is the most accurate reading this might suggest why my sun coral is being so elusive.

Regards

I'll have a scout round for Ski's post
If its any concellation I just use my RO water to calibrate my refractometer. As you can see from my tank I've never had any problems thus far.
I doubt if its that thats not allowing the sun coral to emerge.
Try the teasing method over the next couple of days .
What are your water stats and maintenance regime details.
BigC

PS http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-12/rhf/index.php#11

That is what I did; some RO on the plate and adjusted to zero. Thanks for the link most appreciated. According to that article I get the impression that sticking to manufacturers guidance is the key. The refractometer I have is a D-D aquarium one and it is stated that distilled water is to be used to calibrate the instrument. I thought RO is pretty close so I gave it a go with that. I may get some distilled water from the lab next time I'm in or buy some from Halfords, the battery top-up water. The chemistry is fine, nitrates and phosphates are <10ppm and <0.03ppm respectively, the alkalinity is always 8-13 and the salinity is 1.026 according to the hydrometer but 1.030 according to the refractometer which brings us back to the questions on calibration :lol:. Never ending is it :) ?? To tell you the truth I have not been measuring any water parameters except alkalinity for the last seeral months. I have been watching the tank mature and grow and from what I see nothing is telling me anything is wrong. Anyway must add to my new small journal thingy the sump is almost complete!!!

Regards

The tank is looking amazing Colin, that Elegance seems to be growing at a pace :good:

Seffie x

:fish:

Ps Pink Hystrix :drool: but I have vowed no more pink!

Just a word on my skimmer in case you were wondering. Space in the cabinet is very limited and it was always going to be a problem with whatever skimmer I bought.
So what I'm proposing to do (when I return to work in the New Year) is to build a complete new sump, probably a redesign. It will be roughly the same footprint except for the height, so instead of it being 18" high I will have to reduce this to 15" to allow access to the collection cup. I'm still messing about with designs at the moment as I need to fit the skimmer pump and the return into the confined space.
keep tuned to see what I come up with.
Regards
BigC
P.S. Thinking of putting a Birdsnest in your setup Sef!

Just a word on my skimmer in case you were wondering. Space in the cabinet is very limited and it was always going to be a problem with whatever skimmer I bought.
So what I'm proposing to do (when I return to work in the New Year) is to build a complete new sump, probably a redesign. It will be roughly the same footprint except for the height, so instead of it being 18" high I will have to reduce this to 15" to allow access to the collection cup. I'm still messing about with designs at the moment as I need to fit the skimmer pump and the return into the confined space.
keep tuned to see what I come up with.
Regards
BigC
P.S. Thinking of putting a Birdsnest in your setup Sef!

Thought about it Colin, they are mighty pretty looking :good: but I haven't got the lighting :sad:

Seffie x

:fish:

I really like that video Big C. As Ben stated...lots of movement and things going on. Having good luck w/your angel so far? A guy in my lrc had issues w/that species picking at stuff in his tank. Each fish is their own personality though. Mind me asking how often you feed? Leave any Nori clips in the tank? How much its being fed seems to make a difference if they take a liking to corals or not...or so I've read.

Wow...another rearrangement already :lol:

I will stay tuned :D

oh yea and like the sps too. That's what everyone around here is into...not me. I'll be gettting lps and softies :D

Thanks KJ.
No issues with the angel thus far, yes she does pick at the rockwall but doesn't really bother the corals as such. I feed probably twice a day (flake in the morning and Sun coral etal feed in the evening) Evening fed could be anything from Live BBS, frozen Brineshrimp, Mysis or Plankton pacifica sometimes a mixture to include live Phyto Feast and Cyclopeeze. I starve the tank for one day each week. So I think shes getting enough what with the copious amounts of pods in and around the rockwall.
Yeah I need to do something with the sump arrangment to allow me to hang the skimmer on the outside within a limited space and to keep things tidy below decks.

oh yea and like the sps too. That's what everyone around here is into...not me. I'll be gettting lps and softies
Ah! You only think that, you'll be looking at SPS soon enough. LOL

Regards
BigC

Took a few more shots with the microscope this afternoon

Trachyphillia.jpg

Trachyphillia sp.

SPSPolyps.jpg

Small encrusting SPS polyps

Platygyra.jpg

Platygyra sp.

Sure beats my handheld lens, This bit of kit will be useful at certain points in my hobby.
Regards
BigC

Nice pics/vid BigC. For calibration, make your own solution, then calibrate there. Marine and Reef Chit Chat--->Realm of Knowledge Sticky--->Page 2 should be what you guys are looking for. Make that solution and you have 1.026sg. Then measure it with your refractometer and correct it to 1.026 and bingo :)

Ended up having to purchase a new heater over the weekend as my existing one decided to go on the blink and fail. Luckily I was doing a waterchange that day. I felt the aquarium glass and thought that it felt cooler than normal, so I checked the thermometer in the sump and it read 74'F now I usually run the tank at 81'F so, no time to waste it was straight down to the LFS and got a replacment albeit a different brand.
I also ordered and recieved an ATC Temperature Control Computer via the internet. (Cant afford TUNZE or similar big brand names)
atc300.jpg
atc3002.jpg

Pretty cheap at only £24.99
It has a double plug socket, one for controlling the heater and the other is a timer which you can plug in whatever you like.
The heater can be set to your desired level and the controller will switch it on and off as is needed (thermostat really) it will work to an offset of 1' either side of what temp you have set.
The beauty of this product is that it also incorporates an audable alarm if anything were to go wrong with the temp settings, This can also be set and I have mine at +/- 2' from what I've set the heater which is 26'C.
Wish I'd had this already installed last weekend then I would have been alerted to the problem sooner.
Anyway there were no losses in the tank but could have been a whole lot worse.
So I would recommend purchasing something like this if you wish to keep a close eye on how your heater is performing.
ATB
BigC

Most reactions

Back