Regards

So when is the new tank coming along Big C? Well overdue now

Have to check on a few things first CF
1. My marriage,
2. Sanity
3. Spare pocket money

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

pffft, you forefited your sanity the moment you put salt in the tank :lol:

......and the money, don't forget the money. The first thing you learn when you get into marines is that you will never have any spare money. The missus will always hate the 'damn' tank because she says 'it gets more attention than her' but what she doesn't appreciate is that at any moment it could go horribly wrong and crash unforgivingly, unlike our relationship that hasn't changed in the slightest in the last 3 years (thankfully it has pretty much blissful :hey:).

Anyway after you check your marriage you will start the next tank....... please???

Regards

Well nothing as such Ben,
The intake pipe from the tank to the sump is my main concern at present as I have a ladies stocking on the end of it to collect larger partical gunk form entering the sump proper but this keeps blocking too quickly for my liking, I've also tried various micron bags and they basically are doing the same. So I've a few things in my head and one of those ideas I'm sure will yield fruit. I had a local reefer around yesterday to collect some spare kit I had and also to give my tank the once over. He was basically impressed and could see no problems with the setup as it stands, He's a pretty knowledgeable guy so me being a newbie as such was glad to know I was moving in the right direction. I let him have some equipment for free as it were and he inturn is supplying me with some frags from his massive tank. So that really suits me down to the ground.
I'm getting some more frags in at pres (replacements which arrived dead from an online supplier) so once their in I'll post some more pics.
I know a few members are struggling with Apistasia at the moment so I wish to include this link here for a natural solution to this problem so I can refer back to this thread incase I ever need to employ this method.
http://www.hbaquatics-online.co.uk/product...rnis_nudibranch
ATB
BigC

Skimmer is bloody amazing Ben, a marked improvement over the little V2 Skim 120 Nano Skimmer, I'm really impressed with it.
I'm getting some more frags in at pres (replacements which arrived dead from an online supplier) so once their in I'll post some more pics.
Maybe Tuesday evening after the waterchange if I get the chance.
Thanks for looking
Regards
BigC

Bloke at my LFS has run deltec/tunze skimmers alongside TMC ones, guess which skimmed out more crap?
the cheapest one.

I know Ben, sometimse the dearer named brands are not that good in certain situations but what they do posess is a higher resale value.
When funds allow I wish to incorporate the following kit for more flow and regulation of that flow
Tunze Nanostream Rock
Tunze Nanostream Pump (electronic)6055
Tunze Single Controller
Tunze Photocel
I will rescape the left top of the tank to accomodate that I think.
But for now its back to the sump inlet lol
Regards
BigC

I know Ben, sometimse the dearer named brands are not that good in certain situations but what they do posess is a higher resale value.
When funds allow I wish to incorporate the following kit for more flow and regulation of that flow
Tunze Nanostream Rock
Tunze Nanostream Pump (electronic)6055
Tunze Single Controller
Tunze Photocel
I will rescape the left top of the tank to accomodate that I think.
But for now its back to the sump inlet lol
Regards
BigC

unfarmiliar with that one, whats it do?

Knocks off the pump at night apparently. Night Mode.

Since you guys are discussing skimmers, let me link you to a quantitative skimmer performance evaluation

A LOT of reading but the take home is really good. As long as the skimmer produces significant microbubbles to mostly fill its reaction chamber, the means by which it does so (venturi, needlewheel, downdraft, etc) offers negligable difference in performance. Throughput flow had significant effects on skimmate production although not massive effects (more throughput = better). The biggest difference it appeared came down to the size of the reaction chamber. I suppose this isn't all that shocking as microbubbles are microbubbles regardless of how you make them. And the more water you put through the chamber and the bigger the chamber is, the more opportunity for those bubbles to attach proteins to skim out. Seems to make lots of sense to me. For us aquarists that means focusing more on size, price and reliablity as opposed to fancy technology claims.

So bottom line BigC, good thing you have a skimmer with more flow and a bigger chamber now :)

Most reactions

Back