Coronavirus...post your thoughts here...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Latest news from Western Australia.

Petrol (gas/ fuel) prices have increased by over 50% overnight. The price of crude oil has not changed and it is assumed the reason for the price increase is due to the relaxing of restrictions and kids going back to school. The government has also allowed people to travel up to 150km (90 miles) from their homes and suddenly, overnight, petrol prices went from 80c per litre to $1.30+ per litre. This is the price of fuel before covid19 started. For the last 2 months (during the lockdown), fuel has been sitting on 80cents a litre.

----------------
Australian football and rugby players have been complaining of not being able to play a close contact sport and many have been claiming a government support payment even tho they are on million dollar contracts.

When covid19 kicked in, the Australian federal government brought in an emergency payment for people who lost their jobs and didn't have means to support themselves through this event. Anyone who lost their job could apply but it was only meant to be paid to people on low incomes.

Judges, lawyers, builders, and the professional football players have been applying for and getting the payments even though these people earn significantly more money than the average person. Many of the athletes are being paid $1 million plus per year to play sport for a few months each year. A lot of these players are claiming undue financial hardship. Most beginner lawyers get paid $300 per hour and work long days. Judges get paid a massive amount of money to stop them being bought by criminals and ruling in favor of the criminals.

How can these people claim undue financial hardship when they earn more than 10 times the income of the average person?

To put this in perspective, most Police officers and nurses earn between $50,000 & $75,000 per year. These people literally put their lives on the line and are working right through this pandemic. They aren't being paid more even though people are deliberately coughing on them and trying to make them sick.

I am on a disability pension and get $20,000 a year and most other pensioners and unemployed get the same amount.

So where do professional athletes and lawyers get off claiming undue financial hardship payments when they should have plenty of money and should be able to live very comfortably on their savings for a couple of months? And these people are not working or meant to be going out so they don't need money except to buy food and pay utility bills.

------------------
The governments across the country are relaxing laws/ restrictions and saying they expect more cases of covid19 to occur when this happens. Basically they no longer care about the virus and just want the economy to get going again. They are putting money ahead of lives :(

Latest news from Western Australia.

Petrol (gas/ fuel) prices have increased by over 50% overnight. The price of crude oil has not changed and it is assumed the reason for the price increase is due to the relaxing of restrictions and kids going back to school. The government has also allowed people to travel up to 150km (90 miles) from their homes and suddenly, overnight, petrol prices went from 80c per litre to $1.30+ per litre. This is the price of fuel before covid19 started. For the last 2 months (during the lockdown), fuel has been sitting on 80cents a litre.

----------------
Australian football and rugby players have been complaining of not being able to play a close contact sport and many have been claiming a government support payment even tho they are on million dollar contracts.

When covid19 kicked in, the Australian federal government brought in an emergency payment for people who lost their jobs and didn't have means to support themselves through this event. Anyone who lost their job could apply but it was only meant to be paid to people on low incomes.

Judges, lawyers, builders, and the professional football players have been applying for and getting the payments even though these people earn significantly more money than the average person. Many of the athletes are being paid $1 million plus per year to play sport for a few months each year. A lot of these players are claiming undue financial hardship. Most beginner lawyers get paid $300 per hour and work long days. Judges get paid a massive amount of money to stop them being bought by criminals and ruling in favor of the criminals.

How can these people claim undue financial hardship when they earn more than 10 times the income of the average person?

To put this in perspective, most Police officers and nurses earn between $50,000 & $75,000 per year. These people literally put their lives on the line and are working right through this pandemic. They aren't being paid more even though people are deliberately coughing on them and trying to make them sick.

So where do professional athletes and lawyers get off claiming undue financial hardship payments when they should have plenty of money and should be able to live very comfortably on their savings for a couple of months? And these people are not working or meant to be going out so they don't need money except to buy food and pay utility bills.

------------------
The governments across the country are relaxing laws/ restrictions and saying they expect more cases of covid19 to occur when this happens. Basically they no longer care about the virus and just want the economy to get going again. They are putting money ahead of lives :(
They should be getting danger pay like construction workers and some electric workers....

I agree on no traveling. That will reduce the risk greatly. (Unless you need to go somewhere. Doctors appointment, shopping, dentist, etc.)

I agree on no traveling. That will reduce the risk greatly. (Unless you need to go somewhere. Doctors appointment, shopping, dentist, etc.)
Last week when the laws were relaxed here, hundreds of families went to the shopping centres. Adults and kids everywhere. That is just stupid. The government needs to keep the law pertaining to only 1 person from each household is allowed to go to a shop. There's no reason for kids or family groups to be at shopping centres.

I had to go get an emergency fish tank at Walmart today. (Yes, I ran out). First time in Walmart for several weeks and felt a little unsettling. Only about half the customers had on masks as opposed to a few weeks ago when everyone had one on. I wore mine!

I had to go get an emergency fish tank at Walmart today. (Yes, I ran out). First time in Walmart for several weeks and felt a little unsettling. Only about half the customers had on masks as opposed to a few weeks ago when everyone had one on. I wore mine!
Let me guess another 5g so when you dont need it anymore you can use it for a betta?

Let me guess another 5g so when you dont need it anymore you can use it for a betta?
Actually, one of my 5 gallons with the filter built into the side went out. Couldn’t get my hand inside to try and fix it. With the design, it would take up too much room to put another filter in it. So I had to go get another one. They were out of the 5G, nothing much to choose from. Had to buy a hexagon plastic 6.5 gallon which I’m not thrilled with but had to have something. My betta likes the extra room. I’ll have to get another one when supplies are better. Petco is remodeling the fish section so that wasn’t on option.

Actually, one of my 5 gallons with the filter built into the side went out. Couldn’t get my hand inside to try and fix it. With the design, it would take up too much room to put another filter in it. So I had to go get another one. They were out of the 5G, nothing much to choose from. Had to buy a hexagon plastic 6.5 gallon which I’m not thrilled with but had to have something. My betta likes the extra room. I’ll have to get another one when supplies are better. Petco is remodeling the fish section so that wasn’t on option.
When you get the better one can I have that one lol? ;)

Of course!
I live too far away :( ah whatever I'll just keep obsessively browsing craigslist and offerup and Facebook market place:fish::rofl:my new stand will have room for a bunch of 5 or 10s and maybe a 20

Well it's started. We have a new case of covid19 in Western Australia. A 47 yo male that worked at the Pan Pacific Hotel in Perth where people were being quarantined for possible covid19 infections were being kept, is now infected. Apparently he is a contractor for the WA Health Department. That's bad considering he is meant to work for the Department of Health and he catches it.

Yes I am. We are working from home just fine. We decided that where it is not business critical to be in the office (e.g. deploy new software into a secure datacentre) there was no point.
  • We would have to limit how many people can use a meeting room - no limits for online meetings
  • We couldn't walk over and look at a colleague's screen - we can do that from home
  • Restricted access to kitchens and no coffee shops open - unlimited access at home
  • Would need screens between desks
  • Masks and need to disinfect any shared equipment
  • Can't use lifts
  • People need to use loos
  • We would not be allowed to travel between sites, my regular offices are in Farnborough, London and 2 in brussels - so not having to travel between them is actually more productive and something we will start doing more (or even less :)) once this is all over
  • Not traveling also reduces air / train fares and hotel bills
  • Many of our staff are business critical so reducing the risk of illness is in the company's interests
  • And last, but not least - my fish have fewer weeks of not being fed :fish:
Once you add it all up its just not worth it. This affects around 5000 people all around the world, and we are predicting the way we work will change dramatically for good. I really hope a lot of other companies follow suit - then we may actually make a real difference to the amount of needless fossil fuels we burn.

Well that sounds like a decent company to work for, but I imagine you are all considered to be professionals as opposed to a company like mine where new starters are often school leavers. My company did a prospective survey on the idea but not all people were asked (since they have trust issues letting school leavers have access to clients accounts unsupervised)...

The only problems with everyone being at home, is the WiFi is slower for everyone. I can’t get my daily rounds in on Pixel Gun 3-D like I used to be able to. :(

The only problems with everyone being at home, is the WiFi is slower for everyone. I can’t get my daily rounds in on Pixel Gun 3-D like I used to be able to. :(
I have a similar problem doing dungeons and bgs in world of wigglecraft

---------------
I went to the local supermarket today. They had a bit of stock so it was nice. But people are not complying with social distancing laws. I was walking along the footpath when a jogger comes running past right next to me. There was a 6 feet wide footpath and I was on the far right and this turd runs past 6 inches from me.

Then as I'm about to enter the shopping centre this guy comes walking up and just barges in front of me. I stopped and took a few steps back and waited a minute.

Inside the supermarket and 3 of the store employees pulled up next to me with a trolley full of stock and started having a conversation right next to me. I'm standing there going, "do you mind moving back a bit?". They ignored me and continued chatting so I turned around and went back up the isle and came down another one.

While I was standing on the big green dot on the floor saying wait here to be served, some woman walks straight in front of me and stands between me and the lady in front of me. The green dots are 2 meters apart and we are meant to stay that far apart for social distancing laws. When this lady walks in front of me, another lady pulls up behind me and stands right next to me. I looked her and then started talking to myself saying "I am going to kill everyone near me" "I am going to kill every fuplie person in this building unless these fuplie people get the fuplie away from me now".

The woman behind me backed off and went to look for something in a far distant isle, and the woman in front took off to the self serve checkout even tho there wasn't a spare one to use.

So people in Western Australia have gone straight back to the way it was before covid19 and nobody is obeying the social distancing laws.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back