Coronavirus...post your thoughts here...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I find a “coughing contest” hard to believe sorry this seems exaggerated

Well I read an article showing some guy wiping his nose onto a shop worker, seen several reports of people spiting at the police and healthworkers which is just shocking, I can't believe how some people are just casually depraved.

Corona viruses are a specific family of viruses not just any virus that makes the jump to humans. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/types.html is the current list of Corona virus that affect humans and of the ones that have made it to humans there are only 2 others that have been serious and neither have been as bad as Covid 19. Zoonotic is the name for viruses that jump from animals to humans.
Yup - the common cold is also a corona virus (one of two in fact).

let me clarify for you, you dont appear to understand the use of the term coronavirus. A coronavirus is any virus that jumped the species barrier from animal to human, of which there have been many including HIV which has been looked at for 30 years and still no vacine or cure.
See post #121 of this thread. And the last sentence of #1,543.

I find a “coughing contest” hard to believe sorry this seems exaggerated
It's not an exaggeration. The two girls had a coughing contest and went from box to box, coughing on them. I couldn't fuplie believe it, and the fact the mother didn't do anything just made it worse.

We create vaccines according to need. We've never needed a coronavirus vaccine before so no one has really looked at developing one until now. Hopefully if we do develop a vaccine the uptake will be enough to make it worth it but I believe the UK lost its measles free status because the uptake of the vaccine has dropped thanks to anti vaxxers who believe Andrew Wakefield.
The measles vaccine actually wears off by the time you are about 20, but they dont tell you that.... also if you are vaccinated you still carry it if you are exposed

The measles vaccine actually wears off by the time you are about 20, but they dont tell you that.... also if you are vaccinated you still carry it if you are exposed
From what I've read it's only the older vaccine that can wear off and you may need a booster but for most of the population once you've been vaccinated you're covered for life. You can still spread it if you're vaccinated but it is much less likely that you will spread it hence why rates go down when there's a good uptake in vaccines.

Yes you have to go back for a re-run, most people don't, I never did on the MMR jab I had when I was 16, its a inconvenience thing I guess. I had already had german measles as a a child and then normal measles as a young man. There was that Dr Andrew Wakefield who tried to discredit it suggesting it can cause autism, even though the numbers added up on massive scales showing it was safe.

Yep :) that's what our doctor said when my vaccinated mom (almost died) and vaccinated siblings had it. All of those doctors said that the only way you dont spread it is if you have actually had it. They dont want people to know that though

For some people it doesn't work as well which is why it's important that everyone who can get vaccinated does so it protects the people who need protecting because then you get here immunity. As it says on the CDC link it is 97% effective but that still leaves you with the 3%.
We all had both doses and my mom was vaccinated after the 70s.

For some people it doesn't work as well which is why it's important that everyone who can get vaccinated does so it protects the people who need protecting because then you get here immunity. As it says on the CDC link it is 97% effective but that still leaves you with the 3%.
Would it make sense for the 3% to be a family of 7 with 3 Ukrainian kids (also vaxed) in the same house? Like yes the vaccine works sometimes but I think its more than 3% that dosent

Would it make sense for the 3% to be a family of 7 with 3 Ukrainian kids (also vaxed) in the same house? Like yes the vaccine works sometimes but I think its more than 3% that dosent
You can still catch it if you're vaccinated but it will generally be a milder version of the disease. It could be a genetic thing in your family that makes you more prone to it. I've had all the vaccines you can have, I still caught mumps and whooping cough as a child but because I was vaccinated they were milder than if I hadn't been. My dad wasn't vaccinated for meningitus, it nearly killed him a few years ago (no exaggeration here, how he is still alive is a medical marvel) and has left him with serious health complications now. Again, I'm vaccinated for it but I still got it in my early teens and although I was ill enough to go into hospital with it I survived with no complications.

Most reactions

Back