Come and Confess!

That is 100% false. @Retired Viking can back me up... lately, his Anacharis has been failing him and dying. There have been a lot of posts about people having problems growing Anacharis.

I haven't had much luck with anacharis, either. It, mostly, survives, but it doesn't really grow. I want an anacharis and milfoil jungle with some java ferns and crypts, but I don't dare spend any money on them because I'll probably kill it. I did buy some guppy grass from a member of another forum, but it was shipped during 90+ temps and no cooling packs, so it didn't make. I definitely don't want a repeat of that. I'm just doomed to mostly artificial plants and hardscapes with my cichlids because they destroy everything.

I haven't had much luck with anacharis, either. It, mostly, survives, but it doesn't really grow. I want an anacharis and milfoil jungle with some java ferns and crypts, but I don't dare spend any money on them because I'll probably kill it. I did buy some guppy grass from a member of another forum, but it was shipped during 90+ temps and no cooling packs, so it didn't make. I definitely don't want a repeat of that. I'm just doomed to mostly artificial plants and hardscapes with my cichlids because they destroy everything.
what temp do you keep your tank at?

I will step into this and say that yes my anacharis grew to over 3 feet and it was easy and beautiful for over 8 months and then I did go to RO water and that may have caused a problem for my aracharis for it began to melt, pond snails also played a part so @PheonixKingZ is correct. You can see at one time it form an arch in my 55 gallon tank and a forest in my shrimp tank. I did add flourish comp to my tanks. I also had my anacharis die off in my shrimp tank after growing so nice. It may be that it gets old, I do not know.

Attachments

• GEDC1217.JPG
    GEDC1217.JPG
    320 KB · Views: 68
  • GEDC1296.JPG
    GEDC1296.JPG
    321 KB · Views: 60
I will step into this and say that yes my anacharis grew to over 3 feet and it was easy and beautiful for over 8 months and then I did go to RO water and that may have caused a problem for my aracharis for it began to melt, pond snails also played a part so @PheonixKingZ is correct. You can see at one time it form an arch in my 55 gallon tank and a forest in my shrimp tank. I did add flourish comp to my tanks. I also had my anacharis die off in my shrimp tank after growing so nice. It may be that it gets old, I do not know.
Flourish causes anacharis to melt. It doesn’t take a green thumb to get it to grow. I sent PK some of his first anacharis. I took it out of a tank that was going nuts with it. I finally took it out. Too much is tacky looking, IMO. After all, it is just a weed. Anyone with true plant skills moves on to other more impressive “real” plants eventually. Anacharis is great for someone starting out in aquatics and wanting live plants. Just not a true aquatic plant choice .

That is a good temp. for Anancharis to grow. How many hours a day do you leave your lights on for?

12-14 usually. Essentially they turned on around 8-9am once my coffee kicks in enough to function. Then they go out around 9-10pm after I go upstairs to shower, realize that I left my charger downstairs, so I go to fetch it and realize the aquarium lights are still on as well. Rinse and repeat.

12-14 usually. Essentially they turned on around 8-9am once my coffee kicks in enough to function. Then they go out around 9-10pm after I go upstairs to shower, realize that I left my charger downstairs, so I go to fetch it and realize the aquarium lights are still on as well. Rinse and repeat.
You seem like you are doing everything right... do you have them planted? Or floating?

You seem like you are doing everything right... do you have them planted? Or floating?

I've done both. I only have one little 4" stem of elodea/anacharis floating now. Otherwise it's a few stems of milfoil both floating and planted. Then I have LOTS of floating hornwort in the guppy tank and I tried planting a dozen or so stems in betta tank to see how they do. The floating hornwort seems to have perked up since I added it a week ago. You can see it looked a little rough in the picture I posted in the photo contest.

I actually have observed that if you cut it, it'll survive but stop growing after some time so I wouldn't really cut it.

---

So, my molly passed this morning :(

Well here is a coincidence:

I had to dig some stuff out of our shed this morning and I came across one of our kid's buckets which has been buried in the back of the shed since probably no later than April. This shed is pitch black and only gets opened for a few seconds once a week or so when I grab charcoal for the grill or something. The bucket had an inch or so of water in it and this:

A somehow still living stem of elodea/anacharis! Well, I'm getting this little guy some light. If it can survive a burning hot shed with no light for months, maybe I can keep this one alive and propagate it. There was also, somehow, what looks like mosquito larvae in the water.

20200808_110721.jpg

Most reactions

Back