Come and Confess!

I hear this all the time. I can't get it to grow. Every emersed plant is doing great. My peppers are lush and have so many pods that the branches have to be supported. All my floating plants die. Slowly, but surely. I'll probably kill my hornwort as well.
What's your tank like? Do you use ferts or root tabs? Do you have very soft water maybe?
I like gardening too, it's gotta feel rough when you're good at outdoor plants, then aquarium ones fall. Sorry mate, that's rough!

What's your tank like? Do you use ferts or root tabs? Do you have very soft water maybe?
I like gardening too, it's gotta feel rough when you're good at outdoor plants, then aquarium ones fall. Sorry mate, that's rough!

I do use ferts lightly. The only thing planted in the guppy tank is milfoil and it's growing slowly. I hornwort floating in two tanks, but they are still new, so we'll see. Floating plants are duckweed, Salvinia and water lettuce and they have never done well. HOB I have pothos, aglaonema, chamaedorea and spathiphyllum and they are doing just fine. Our water is a touch hard, actually. Nothing extreme.

I do use ferts lightly. The only thing planted in the guppy tank is milfoil and it's growing slowly. I hornwort floating in two tanks, but they are still new, so we'll see. Floating plants are duckweed, Salvinia and water lettuce and they have never done well. HOB I have pothos, aglaonema, chamaedorea and spathiphyllum and they are doing just fine. Our water is a touch hard, actually. Nothing extreme.
Weird. I don't know then, sorry! I have water lettuce too, and it seems to go through bouts of doing super well where I have to throw away handfuls, but also several bouts where it does terribly, going yellow and leaves and roots melting and making a mess. Even though water parameters were stable and the same, so I don't know what's going on with sometimes either.

Duckweed is still the worst for me though :D I've tried to get rid of every speck of it today, but I bet it'll be back.

Please come kill my duckweed. I loathe the stuff and regret ever putting any in a tank. I can't get rid of it, even though I tried again today, skimming everything, wiping all under the rims of the tanks. But you only need to miss one tiny, dried out speck of it, and it comes back. I hate it with a fiery passion that burns inside of me constantly.
LMAO I just ranted about duckweed, and I've been listening to Cory from Aquarium Co-op talking about how to sterilise tanks and equipment - a completely unrelated topic - and he went into a rant about duckweed saying all the same things I said about it. Vindicated!!
Skip to 12:46 if you want to see what Cory thinks about duckweed. It's the thing he dreads the most apparently. lol! @mbsqw1d you asked if it was really that bad? Watch this :rofl:

LMAO I just ranted about duckweed, and I've been listening to Cory from Aquarium Co-op talking about how to sterilise tanks and equipment - a completely unrelated topic - and he went into a rant about duckweed saying all the same things I said about it. Vindicated!!
Skip to 12:46 if you want to see what Cory thinks about duckweed. It's the thing he dreads the most apparently. lol! @mbsqw1d you asked if it was really that bad? Watch this :rofl:
not watched yet, but when doing a w/c today, i said to myself 'she was right, it is too late'

Prove it with a photo :p
F652DB36-7355-4F4D-AD35-7166022A734E.jpeg

4B8DA195-AB41-46D7-BDF1-D55E3607CCAB.jpeg

31B1C140-A92A-4AD3-BF04-A209515E833A.jpeg

Anacharis will grow no matter what.
That is 100% false. @Retired Viking can back me up... lately, his Anacharis has been failing him and dying. There have been a lot of posts about people having problems growing Anacharis.

Not a criticism, just curious, why do you keep your water level so low?
Uhhh... that’s just how I keep it? Lol?

I guess “technically” it should be filled up to the black rim, right? (I also don’t have lids on any of my tanks, so it’s also to prevent fish from jumping. :dunno: )

That is 100% false. @Retired Viking can back me up... lately, his Anacharis has been failing him and dying. There have been a lot of posts about people having problems growing Anacharis.

Uhhh... that’s just how I keep it? Lol?

I guess “technically” it should be filled up to the black rim, right? (I also don’t have lids on any of my tanks, so it’s also to prevent fish from jumping. :dunno: )
I was just curious about the water level! Preventing fish jumping if you don't have lids makes sense. A lot of people like it raised to the rim just for the look of it, because it looks better - but obviously you need a lid for that. But don't forget water volume when calculating your stocking or dosing medication too. A twenty gallon tank is really a 15 gallon if it's not filled to the top, ya know?

if you get lucky..ish, and have the right tap water parameters, and keep your tank at the right temp, it grows. its not known as weed for nothing. Viking struggles now he's RO-ing his water, this plant needs some minerals to grow. id have to say its not a very impressive plant IMO, thats why I've removed the majority if it from my tank, now its finished helping to do the planted cycle

if you get lucky..ish, and have the right tap water parameters, and keep your tank at the right temp, it grows. its not known as weed for nothing. Viking struggles now he's RO-ing his water, this plant needs some minerals to grow. id have to say its not a very impressive plant IMO, thats why I've removed the majority if it from my tank, now its finished helping to do the planted cycle
Not impressive? How on earth could you say it’s not impressive? I agree with that - they do need some minerals to grow.

I was just curious about the water level! Preventing fish jumping if you don't have lids makes sense. A lot of people like it raised to the rim just for the look of it, because it looks better - but obviously you need a lid for that. But don't forget water volume when calculating your stocking or dosing medication too. A twenty gallon tank is really a 15 gallon if it's not filled to the top, ya know?
The water level that my 29g tank is at now, is around 26ish gallons - that is still totally in range for what my stock is.

Alos, because of the fact that I have no lid, water evaporates sooo fast. Literally, if I were to fill it up to the top, half of that would be gone in 2 days, no joke.

I'm impressed by their ability to grow so well in any given condition (again, that's why they're known as an invasive weed).
but as someone who likes to grow plants in an aquarium - they're probably my least impressive. Think of a gardener who constantly pulls up weeds from around their rose bushes. Weeds are very impressive because they don't need us to thrive - and strangely most humans don't like them because of this haha

Most reactions

Back