Betta Splendens Breeding (i Have Fry)

Congratulations! They usually can't eat baby brine shrimp for... about a week I think... but they should be eating infusoria as soon as they are free swimming. I've bred with liquifry and without, and didn't really notice a difference. I've heard the fry don't even eat it, but it helps grow infusoria at least.

Now here's the hard part. Leave them alone for a couple weeks! Fiddle with the tank as little as possible. Do you have a sponge filter set up? If so, turn that on but restrict the airflow (a gang valve works great) so that it's only a couple bubbles a second. Feed the little guys sparingly several times a day. It's tricky... you don't want to starve your little ones, but you don't want to pollute the tank either. After 2 weeks you can start doing small water changes and raising the water level too; if you haven't read much about that then I can tell you how to do it.

You said you were breeding in a 5-gallon? If so, you will have to move them into a larger tank at some point. I've never moved fry (I breed in a 10 then move them up to a 40 when they are decently sized) so does anyone want to jump in with what age or size they should be before you move them? My guess would be to wait at least 2-3 weeks, and I've heard the best way is to siphon them out with large tubing rather than use a net.

Sorry if you already knew all this. I'm just excited about babies, even if they're someone else's. :hyper:

Actually i preferred using a 5g to a 10g while breeding bettas, i was a ton more successful. I suppose it would depend a lot on the aggression of the particular fish as well. Mine were mellow and got right too it, i had eggs within an hour. But more aggressive pairings would require a larger tank for the two to seek cover if they needed.

Folks need to be a little less critical. People are more apt to accept friendly advice, oppose to torment. No they did not follow it by the book, but its kind of senseless to highlight that and make it the focus of your response. Offer your expertise and close the window. :good:

Congrats on the fry, keep us updated. :)

Congratulations! They usually can't eat baby brine shrimp for... about a week I think... but they should be eating infusoria as soon as they are free swimming. I've bred with liquifry and without, and didn't really notice a difference. I've heard the fry don't even eat it, but it helps grow infusoria at least.

Now here's the hard part. Leave them alone for a couple weeks! Fiddle with the tank as little as possible. Do you have a sponge filter set up? If so, turn that on but restrict the airflow (a gang valve works great) so that it's only a couple bubbles a second. Feed the little guys sparingly several times a day. It's tricky... you don't want to starve your little ones, but you don't want to pollute the tank either. After 2 weeks you can start doing small water changes and raising the water level too; if you haven't read much about that then I can tell you how to do it.

You said you were breeding in a 5-gallon? If so, you will have to move them into a larger tank at some point. I've never moved fry (I breed in a 10 then move them up to a 40 when they are decently sized) so does anyone want to jump in with what age or size they should be before you move them? My guess would be to wait at least 2-3 weeks, and I've heard the best way is to siphon them out with large tubing rather than use a net.

Sorry if you already knew all this. I'm just excited about babies, even if they're someone else's. :hyper:

Actually i preferred using a 5g to a 10g while breeding bettas, i was a ton more successful. I suppose it would depend a lot on the aggression of the particular fish as well. Mine were mellow and got right too it, i had eggs within an hour. But more aggressive pairings would require a larger tank for the two to seek cover if they needed.

Folks need to be a little less critical. People are more apt to accept friendly advice, oppose to torment. No they did not follow it by the book, but its kind of senseless to highlight that and make it the focus of your response. Offer your expertise and close the window. :good:

big thanks guys, really appreciate someone taking into consideration that im new to this. i dont have a filter set up, although i have a fluval 1 in a miniature tank that i could put in and restrict the flow (is this absolutely necessary?) when it is time to move the fry would it be ok to put them into my community tank (2 plecs and harlequin rasbora - bearing in mind i dont know how big there gonna be, this could be a stupid question)

amerce, yes this is how i got the fish unfortunately, ive only had him a week and a half, and believe it or not hes getting better than he was, i just loved his colour.

ill keep you posted guys, thanks to everyone for their help so far.

big thanks guys, really appreciate someone taking into consideration that im new to this. i dont have a filter set up, although i have a fluval 1 in a miniature tank that i could put in and restrict the flow (is this absolutely necessary?) when it is time to move the fry would it be ok to put them into my community tank (2 plecs and harlequin rasbora - bearing in mind i dont know how big there gonna be, this could be a stupid question)

amerce, yes this is how i got the fish unfortunately, ive only had him a week and a half, and believe it or not hes getting better than he was, i just loved his colour.

ill keep you posted guys, thanks to everyone for their help so far.

It would be good to at least set up an airstone in the tank to break up the water surface. It keeps the water a little cleaner, and I've also heard that their fins sometimes won't develop properly without a little bit of water movement.

It will be 3 months or more before they would be big enough to possibly move to any community tank. I'm thinking that they might be okay in a 5-gallon for at least a month, maybe longer depending on how many you have and how fast they're growing. So plan on having a 10-20 gallon tank set up for them within a month. With a sponge filter if you can get one! They work really well for fry tanks.

My pairs usually take a long time to breed, probably because of the larger tank size. I just don't like to have to move the fry! Most of the breeders I know do prefer 5-gallon tanks.

I guess people seem to think that telling someone that they're killing their animals is going to be some sort of wake-up call, when all it really does is make them defensive and piss them off. At least that's how I would react. When I was new to the hobby and did stupid things, I was fortunate enough to have a friend at a betta forum who always gave me great advice without criticizing me, and without her I probably wouldn't be breeding bettas today. I really can't fault someone for doing something "wrong" if they are on a forum asking questions... that shows me that they really do care about their fish. Besides, few things in the aquarium world are absolute. People take risks all the time when setting up community tanks with fish that might not get along, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

o right ok, thanks for the info, i have an airstone pump that im not using anyway so that is a lot easier, the fry are not as white as they were yesterday, they seem a bit more detailed and have darker "heads" is this normal??

also, a few are sucking against the side near the nest, a few are chilling on the tops and undersides of leaves, and most are dropping out of the nest about an inch then swimming back in. does this all sound normal too???

i cant actually see any swimming around yet, it is then that i remove the male isnt it?

cheers, spilz

edit: my brother has a 10 gallon with just 4 harlequin rasbo's in, so i will be "confiscating" the tank, and moving the rasbo's to another tank for the time being

o right ok, thanks for the info, i have an airstone pump that im not using anyway so that is a lot easier, the fry are not as white as they were yesterday, they seem a bit more detailed and have darker "heads" is this normal??

also, a few are sucking against the side near the nest, a few are chilling on the tops and undersides of leaves, and most are dropping out of the nest about an inch then swimming back in. does this all sound normal too???

i cant actually see any swimming around yet, it is then that i remove the male isnt it?

cheers, spilz

edit: my brother has a 10 gallon with just 4 harlequin rasbo's in, so i will be "confiscating" the tank, and moving the rasbo's to another tank for the time being

Yes, that's all normal. Sounds like things are going well. Remove the male once they are swimming rather than sticking to things, sinking, bobbing, etc.

Does the tank have gravel in it? You will need to use a bare-bottom tank or the food will just get lost in the rocks (and maybe some of the fry too!)

Poor rasbos, getting kicked out. :)

the rasboras will be fine lol, theyl get put back with there brothers and sisters in one of my 21 gals. no the tank floor is bare, ive left a light on tonight for them, and hopefully ill have some free swimmers by tommorow, yay!

yer ok, if this goes well i would like to expand my betta collection a bit, and start breeding a few more, which type of bettas would people recommend to breed???

ok cheers, im going to have a word with a bloke i know at one of the maidenhead stores, because he told me if ever there was a fish i wanted he would get it in for me.
just an update guys, the fry are all horizontal now, and free swimming, not much, but there not in the nest at all anymore, so i have removed the male, he was sooo good with them, i watched him for like half an hour and he didnt stop checking every part of the tank lol. i would say there are at least 50 in there now, but its hard to tell how many more there are because most of them are under the leaves of the plant. ive got my eyes on a nice 10 gallon tank that i will be getting in a few weeks, so that i can split the offspring into 2 and spread them about over 2 10 gal tanks, then move the ones that i want to my community tanks (not many lol) and the rest i will house easily.

yer ok, if this goes well i would like to expand my betta collection a bit, and start breeding a few more, which type of bettas would people recommend to breed???

Whatever type you like! :) If you're looking to sell them (I can pretty much guarantee you won't make money, but it's nice to at least get a little bit back) then steer clear of veil tails. Halfmoons are probably the most popular to betta enthusiasts, and crowntails seem to be most popular among regular people. I always tell people to get the nicest pair they can afford. It takes the same amount of time and effort to raise the fish whether they are nice or crap, so you might as well breed some good ones!

What a good father! The rule of thumb for counting fry is to multiply the number that you can see by 3, so you could very well have 150 little ones on your hands. Good luck with them!

wow lol, that would be a bit of a suprise! this morning there are a few venturing out towards the bottom of the tank although most are staying quite close to the surface.

Most reactions

Back