Hormone use in commercial fish breeding, how prevalent is it…

I agree with Colin. I've never seen this done with tetras, but have seen it with more expensive but easily bred fish. Tetras generally take skill.

what you get with tetras is luck of the draw,

Don't they do something similar with meat chickens...?
No, major chicken processors in the US do not use hormones in raising chickens. The use of hormones and steroids in poultry has been banned by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) since the 1950s

No, major chicken processors in the US do not use hormones in raising chickens. The use of hormones and steroids in poultry has been banned by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) since the 1950s
They still do it overhere...

There is one local fish store I have bought discus from over the years. The store gets its fish from breeders in Vietnam. I never had good luck with those discus where they died in about a year span. Another LFS I buy discus from gets the discus locally from a breeder in Florida. I never had those discus die in a year, and they all lived in good health for years afterwards. I am convinced the Vietnamese breeders are doing something to mass produce their fish that shortens their life span.

Most reactions

Back