Guppy fry color question

Kelly Preussner

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 10 guppy fry that range from 4-6 weeks old. The fry are all still colorless, is this normal? The female just had an orange tail & came to me pregnant so ??? She has since died. I only have the fry & 2 male guppies in my tank plus 1 female Molly. All the fry that are bigger appear to be female. Will they get colorful? In the picture there is a male in the back but the fry is in the front

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 21
Both sexes start off with the base color. That could be grey, blond, golden, bronze, Asian blau, nigrocaudatusor translucent. The age that males and/or females develop color or pattern does differ. That could be from a week (black markings in the fins) till several weeks before a pattern or coloration on the body or fins appear. So, your situation is normal. And young males tend to look like females before they show their male traits. Young females already show a tiny gravid spot.
Guppy sex determination at a young age.jpg

Thanks. So even though they are 6 weeks they can still show no color? There was one grey one born but that one didn’t make it.

Hello. I've noticed that the more generations of Guppies I have, the duller they have become. I've kept Guppies for many years and have no idea how many generations have come and gone in my tanks. All the females are totally grey. The males are very small and their colors are quite faded. They are still very good reproducers and are as hardy as any fish I've ever kept.

Thanks. So even though they are 6 weeks they can still show no color? There was one grey one born but that one didn’t make it.
Most guppies don't become sexually mature until 2-3 months of age or even older. They won't normally show much if any colour in their fins until they are sexually mature. Give them a few months and see how they look then.

Some females never show colour, it depends on what their parents were like.

I run my tanks at room temperature and 3 months is about when they show all their traits

Most reactions

Back