Betta looking so much better :)

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Okay so I don't want to have a premature celebration... but I think I have good news? I went in to check on hank and he managed to completely right himself. His breathing is still worryingly tense, but he definitely still has some fight in him and I don't think he's ready to give up yet. Go Hank!!

As a side note, I was talking about Hank's situation and mentioned the salt treatment. They said to make sure he doesn't overdose on it. How can I be sure to keep him safe from that, and how long should I continue this? The salt from today seemed like a lot, and I had to run the cup under hot water and stir it rapidly to get it all to dissolve. How much is too much salt?

Okay so I don't want to have a premature celebration... but I think I have good news? I went in to check on hank and he managed to completely right himself. His breathing is still worryingly tense, but he definitely still has some fight in him and I don't think he's ready to give up yet. Go Hank!!

As a side note, I was talking about Hank's situation and mentioned the salt treatment. They said to make sure he doesn't overdose on it. How can I be sure to keep him safe from that, and how long should I continue this? The salt from today seemed like a lot, and I had to run the cup under hot water and stir it rapidly to get it all to dissolve. How much is too much salt?
Follow the instructions deanasue gave. 2 weeks should be fine

Will do! Thank you for the advice lol

They also asked me about his fin shape. Is that an important thing to factor into his health? I was having a little bit of a hard time keeping up with all of the questions :/

Will do! Thank you for the advice lol

They also asked me about his fin shape. Is that an important thing to factor into his health? I was having a little bit of a hard time keeping up with all of the questions :/
Long find are more prone to find rot, and crown tails fin rot can go unnoticed for longer because of the fin shape. I think thats the only thing

Who is “they” you keep referring to. The amount of salt you are using is normal dose. Many people use a lot more! If he’s getting better, can’t you trust me just a little bit longer. You seem to be looking for things to worry about. :)

Who is “they” you keep referring to. The amount of salt you are using is normal dose. Many people use a lot more! If he’s getting better, can’t you trust me just a little bit longer. You seem to be looking for things to worry about. :)
I am absolutely a chronic worrier lol I'm very sorry I don't mean to. I know you said you have 7 bettas and you're also a moderator, so my worry lies more in my ability to read and comprehend your instructions properly than whether or not to follow them. I'm really scared that I'm gonna make another mistake and it will cost Hanks life :unsure:

The person was talking about how many pets they owned and I brought up my fish. I don't really know how responsible of a pet owner they are since I don't even know enough to know if they're a dude/chick or their age or anything. I just know the salt thing was mentioned, and I was worried because my mom almost threw a fit that I was adding the aquarium salt.

And if you say a lot of people use a lot more salt that makes me feel better. I was worried that I was using too much because I had that hard time dissolving it completely. Thinking on it now there's a difference between the volume of a cup and the volume of a tank

I am absolutely a chronic worrier lol I'm very sorry I don't mean to. I know you said you have 7 bettas and you're also a moderator, so my worry lies more in my ability to read and comprehend your instructions properly than whether or not to follow them. I'm really scared that I'm gonna make another mistake and it will cost Hanks life :unsure:

The person was talking about how many pets they owned and I brought up my fish. I don't really know how responsible of a pet owner they are since I don't even know enough to know if they're a dude/chick or their age or anything. I just know the salt thing was mentioned, and I was worried because my mom almost threw a fit that I was adding the aquarium salt.

And if you say a lot of people use a lot more salt that makes me feel better. I was worried that I was using too much because I had that hard time dissolving it completely. Thinking on it now there's a difference between the volume of a cup and the volume of a tank
Why was your mom freaking out?

Quit worrying. You are doing everything you can. I still believe he’s going to turn around for us and do just fine. Did you try anymore bloodworms?

I just got done talking to my mom, and I don't know if I'm gonna be allowed to get anything else for Hank.

She was freaking out because I don't really think she understands that "food and stress coat," especially in a 1 gallon tank, are not all a betta need to survive. She said that with that they lived about 5-6 months. I told her bettas can live much longer than that.

She also came to my room to check out Hank to see why I was so worried about him. She believes that bettas lying on the bottom and gasping is normal. I asked her about the API test kit since she has the Amazon account and the debit card but she flat out refused because "I'm too invested in this, maybe we'll just get you a plant next time because they're harder to kill."

I'm really disappointed. I am obviously going to continue to do everything I can to keep Hank alive, but I thought that my mom would be more understanding for all of this. Ever since my brother died I've been really bummed, but while Hank was healthy and exploring that was probably the happiest and most fascinated I've been in a while. I really don't want him to die, he's supposed to be my little buddy.

Also, I have not tried bloodworms since that second time to give him time to rest, but I will be able to try them again tomorrow after class when I do the water change

Most reactions

Back