Betta looking so much better :)

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You can’t use Himalayan pink salt. Someone tried that once and it was a disaster. He may have something else going on internally. All we can do is try. I wouldn’t do another water change f you already did one today. Just add the salt. Turn his lights off and cover him with a towel so he can rest.

Last edited:
You can’t se Himalayan pink salt. Someone tried that once and it was a disaster. He may have something else going on internally. All we can do is try. I wouldn’t do another water change f you already did one today. Just add the salt. Turn his lights off and cover him with a towel so he can rest.

I appreciate the help. The lights are off with my window shade cracked just enough for me to see by. I'm calling my local stores now to see if they stock aquarium salt

Edit: getting ready to drive in now. My list is aquarium salt, safestart, and bloodworms. The master kit will be ordered online as it is signicantly cheaper there

Last edited:
I appreciate the help. The lights are off with my window shade cracked just enough for me to see by. I'm calling my local stores now to see if they stock aquarium salt

Edit: getting ready to drive in now. My list is aquarium salt, safestart, and bloodworms. The master kit will be ordered online as it is signicantly cheaper there
Your list sounds good. Yes, the test kit will be much more expensive at your LFS than it will be on Amazon.com. I suggest buying it off of Amazon.

Make sure the blood worms aren’t freeze dried, those tend to be very fatty.

I wouldn’t bother with the Safe Start since you’re having to do water changes daily. It’s will just be a waste and added exspense at this point. The Prime, which you badly need, will just eat up the Safe Start anyway. Ask the store if they would be willing to give you some used filter media. If they will, put it in a plastic bag and keep it wet. Once you get home, stuff it in the back of your filter media you already have. That is what we call an “instant” cycle although it’s really not instant. It will give you a cycle in a few days sometimes. The bacteria from the used media will transfer to your filter media and grow quickly.

I’m cleaning fish tanks but will keep stopping to check my phone if you have questions. Just give me time in between tanks. :)

Hi! I'm back from the store

@Deanasue unfortunately I did not see your messages until I got home just now or I would have held off on the safestart and asked about the media. I did get the aquarium salt and frozen bloodworms though. Is it possible to make the filter media myself? I'm not sure where to store the safestart until I need it, can I use it for that?

Also, I really appreciate you guys being so helpful with my emergency!

Okay with the salt: I've done a 50% wc today. Should i do 25% more and add the salt, or wait until tomorrow?

OK. Did you use Prime today? If so, Wait to begin Safe Start tomorrow. Starting tomorrow, let’s change things up a bit to try and get the cycle going. Instead of 75%, begin doing 50% daily water changes with 1/2 tablespoon of aquarium salt For every 5 gallons at each change. Use another water conditioner tomorrow and AFTER water change and salt, add your full bottle of Safe Start directly to filter media. Continue daily 50% water changes along with the 1/2 tablespoon of salt per every 5 gallons using Prime if you have it at this point. On Day 3 begin checking to see if you are getting any ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings before doing the water change. Let us know at that point what the readings are and we will adjust water changes if needed at that point. What I’m trying to do is keep your fish safe while trying to start your cycle. Note: Each time you do a 50% water change, it will lower your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates by 50%. Here when you need us.

Last edited:
OK. Did you use Prime today?
I did, both times for the water change.

For the bloodworms, the first offering he swam out of his log I think to try to come get, but his swimming has this awful tilt so he went to rest beside his log. He did not move to catch the second one, I think even that little bit exhausted him but he did shuffle himself forward a little bit when I came back. How can I make it easier for him?

Attachments

• 20200420_141447.jpg
    20200420_141447.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
I did, both times for the water change.

For the bloodworms, the first offering he swam out of his log I think to try to come get, but his swimming has this awful tilt so he went to rest beside his log. He did not move to catch the second one, I think even that little bit exhausted him but he did shuffle himself forward a little bit when I came back. How can I make it easier for him?

That's encouraging! That he's showing interest in food. Can you use tweezers or something to bring the food to him?

Give him time to get out. I have actually taken the bloodworms in the tweezers and dangled it on their nose before to get them to eat it. Just tickle him a little with it and then hold it right in front of him against his mouth. Give him a minute. He may even lunge at it so don’t let that scare you. It does sound encouraging that he’s interested in them. Make sure they are thawed too and not too cold for him.

I tried to feed him the bloodworms again and he was having none of it. I dropped the worm and when I tried to grab it to prevent it from rotting he spooked and swam to the middle of the tank, doing his sideways swim again, before nosediving :(

I've got the lights completely off again and I'm leaving him alone so he can recover from the stress again. He's back to gasping hard enough to move his whole body again

Since he's been at this horrible gasping phase at least twice before I'm thinking he will be able to recover, but I'll have to be more careful in the future about spooking him

Edit: I did find the tweezers and used them both times. I do think they help, as when he catches sight of my hands in the water it freaks him out. This way he's focused on the thin metal holding food and not the scary flesh monster. I just can't get too close to him yet

Most reactions

Back