Any fish that just don't interest you?

Neon Tetras - look pretty but dont do anything in most tanks. I would possibly consider getting a large shoal in a big tank, like 150-200 of them in a planted tank.

Barbs - Just never really got why people love barbs so much, some are colourful but they just don't do it for me.

Silver Sharks - They Grow bigger than people ever realise, eat plants, can be very skittish and they just aren't sharks...lol

Goldfish - Does it make me sound posh if i say they're just too common? :p

Think thats about it, if i choose any more i'm just getting picky!

Ben

Catfish...They are all over where I live and just...are wierd. =3 Saw some really cool clear ones once though. I wouldn't mind them.

Puffers-A bit too much hassle for me. I'm lazy, though I do think they can be pretty neat.

Anything saltwater...

Most tetras

Those eel-like dragonfish (I think that's what they are called) They're creepy.

Goldfish- too messy...poopmachines they are

Most livebearing fish.

Pacu...ugh

Everything else I am pretty ok with...unless it scares me

I do rather enjoy Mollies though =3 They can just be so sweet. I fell in love with them at my LFS when they followed me from one side of the tank to the other. :wub: It was a -huge- tank too. One of those 'display tanks' that cost more than my car did. xD

For me, fish are more about personality than looks. It's gotta have a personality. :look:

Common plecos, pacu, fancy goldfish (not quick enough or tolerant enough to be pondfish and hold no aesthetic value to me), angelfish, balloon mollies, barbs, and tetras in general do nothing for me (the five neons I have are because my boyfriend liked them and they're small and easy care). I think monos are about the ugliest things I've ever seen. I think most gobies are cute though (including violets :wub: ) ...

Anything that truely needs soft water. I'm not interested in messing with my liquid rock.

piranhna.....pit bull of fish ownership

I don't mean to put you down, and I may be misunderstanding you, but I'm very passionate about pit bulls and I don't beleive its right to perpetuate a blatantly false stereotype about an animal. In this case I'm speaking about the stereotype of pitbulls being vicious killers.

But on the thread topic, Not in my tank:

ANgelfish
neon tetras

Someone mentioned it earlier about neons, they're for the people who are too tight for tetras. Not only are they rediculously fragile, but for me the colors are just not very apealing. I would rather they be in their natural habitat where they won't die when the amonia level gets up to .00000001 ppm.

on the cusp of the not in my tank list is the red eye tatra.

Other than those there is no other fish that I've seen that I wouldn't like to have in my tank.

Hey, wow, I love my little tiger and rosy barbs, because they're so playful and fun to watch! And the rosies come up to try to nip on me when I'm moving plants, etc.

I inherited my black tetras, would never have chosen them, but they're quite healthy and active.

I could never have platys again--just got so tired of isolating babies and furnishing the fish store with nurseries, though they were sweet people who enjoyed taking them, and probably felt guilty for supplying me with both genders.

I don't like any fish that look like lures or live bait; thin, silverish types, and I've always gotten very unlucky or suicidal plecos, so no more of those, and I've never been a fan of swordtails or angel fish. But the thing about common is--less expensive, you know? And if you really want to keep fish but have many children and not so much money, the exotics just get to be visited at the veterinarian hospital or nice Chinese restaurants. :lol:

Gouramis are my favorites, but I guess that's another thread, eh?

I just dont like most peaceful community fish. I like the strange fish, the monster fish, and the mean fish. I dont like african cichlids.... but i like most other cichlids. I dont like most tetras and livebearers. I also dont like bettas. But There are some cool tetras that are super aggressive which is cool. I love those big cichlids.
I just like the fish that most people dont keep.

Ami said:
Actually the only tetra I like are the pristellas

Corrykitty - what's the common name for pristellas cos I can't seem to find a pic of them?!

Tnx
Ami
here is one
pristellatetra.jpg

sometimes they are called x-ray fish I think. My LFS labels them as pristella tetras though

Oh and the endler's livebearers ... I was actually talking about two seperate kinds of fish .. not confusing the endlers with the formosa whachamacallems

*hang on searching for actual name*

Ah here we go Heterandria formosa, the "least killie fish"

anyway

so 1)looking at pics of Endlers on aquabid has made me want those *pretty pretty pretty* and 2) the idea of keeping a native fish has made me want to look into the least killies ... and they are sooooo tiny!!! they are the only two that would break me of my *no livebearers allowed* rule :lol:

No livebearers (except possibly Heterandria formosa)
No true shoaling fish, except as colourful "filler" in a tank with some other fish species I'd like to keep
No mbunas. They're gorgeous, but just not my thing.

Boxcar Muzzdogg said:
piranhna.....pit bull of fish ownership

I don't mean to put you down, and I may be misunderstanding you, but I'm very passionate about pit bulls and I don't beleive its right to perpetuate a blatantly false stereotype about an animal.
feel free to put me where you like!

and you slightly missunderstand......my issue isnt with the dog - its the owners (in the same way i have no prob with pirahna...just people that own them)

with all the dog breeds in the world its an odd choice to pick a breed that was only created to kill stuff (do you have a gun collection as well?)

Hmm,

No bettas for me (but the lady likes them)

No livebearers

No Cichlids, I just can't see the appeal

Other than that, the bigger and meaner, the better.

On the pitbull side I think that Piranhas are the pit bulls in that they have a reputation for being ultra mean when most are actually softies if brought up well.

with all the dog breeds in the world its an odd choice to pick a breed that was only created to kill stuff (do you have a gun collection as well?)

I assume you would never consider any kind of terrior then?

no neons, because everyone has them and I don't think they look that good not in a HUGE shoal. If I had a tank that would take 1000 of them, then yeah, but not ten.

parrot fish

I wouldn't keep:

~The majority of common livebearers other than heterandria formosa

~Massive native fish

~Plecs - I think they're cute but they don't seem to contribute much to the overall atmoshphere of a tank

Can I add red tailed black sharks?!!

I am watching this horror chase the poor clown loach round in circles now! I'm a fan of community tanks and this rotten fish has no place in any community I am aware of!

Maroonostrich said:
Can I add red tailed black sharks?!!

I am watching this horror chase the poor clown loach round in circles now! I'm a fan of community tanks and this rotten fish has no place in any community I am aware of!
I had a red finned shark that was bestest buddies with my clown loach!!

I said i wouldnt keep neon's but i saw some babies for sale and brought them and its nice when you have something from being a baby.
Wouldnt keep mollies or guppies again, they just die all the time.

Syno's... would think twice when getting one of these again, at least now i never wonder where the dead fish go, and why he's getting so fat. :unsure:

Most reactions

Back