7 Foot, 1074 Litres, 284 Gallons.

got a phone call today from essex aquatics and my new female reticulatus ray will be arriving some time on friday afternoon, also got someone coming to look at the arowana on the same day so hopefully that will be going too!!!

yeah will be! i think i'll definitely need a drink after all that! haha
its a shame to see the arowana go but if its going to be causing trouble then i can't keep it.
hopefully the new ray will settle in quick and actually eat! loads like the fat males!!
will let you all know how it goes tomorrow and try and get a couple of pictures of the new arrivals!

and now i only have about 12 cutteri fry left, don't know where they disappear to, they are in their own tank with a sponge filter, plenty of water movement for oxygen, but i never see dead ones so they must just eat each other!
and now the parents are trying to breed again, but they are back in with the 10 rotkeil severums as the frontosas needed their tank! why does everything happen at once???

i got them as fry mate so they aren't yet old enough to breed, i got 10 in the hope of getting a pair or two and selling on the rest, theres about 5-6 of them a good 2.5 inch now and they are shooting up really fast now, and the others are still small at about 1.5 inch, they are starting to scrap a bit now so i think that may be the males arranging who is dominant!
they should have more space by the weekend if this person buys my arowana as i can put the frontosa in my big tank and take the divider out so they will have the whole tank again, hopefully in a couple of months they will be bigger and start pairing off and if 2 pairs form i will keep them and then sell the other 6 on, or i could wait longer, see if more than 2 pairs form, and sell them as a pair, or..... another option is, i will keep them all long enough to get all pairs that will happen, this is assuming there is more than one or two pairs of male and females in there, let them pair off get some fry and sell the adults as a breeding pair.
i have no space so in reality i will take 2 pairs and just sell on the rest.
also my cutteri are starting to breed again, so once they do i will take the fry and probably sell on the breeding pair as i neither have time for them or time to raise the fry and its a shame as they are gorgeous little cichlids.
got a little synodontis and a green panchax that need to go too but they will just have to go back to the lfs probably.

well the female reticulatus arrived earlier, not very happy with it, its thin and look generally in bad health, not quite as thin as the last one but didn't eat so will see again tomorrow. going to ring the guy at essex aquatics tomorrow and express my feelings towards the problem, will definitely not be buying any more fish from there.
the nearest place to me that i know normally stock reticulatus is north lakes aquatics, in penrith about an hours drive, and they are about twice as much as what i payed for mine but bigger i think, so at least i will be able to look at them before i buy one. will see how this one does for now but im not expecting anything much!
would take some pictures but theres absolutely no point as its just crap

shame about the new ray not being in top notch quality, hopefully it should right itself and start eating. May sound silly but can you hand feed them? or try sticking food in front of it? I havent seen my Tire track eel eat until this afternoon when i hand fed it so it deffo got some:)

North Lakes aquatics is pretty pricey like for some stuff but there stockings top quality and the guys there know there stuff:)

ye not too happy with it, but it seemed to settle a bit before i left. It just looks very rough! Getting peed off with that silver arowana too, just want it gone!
Yeah i emailed north lakes before about a few prices, will see what they come back with, also got some good prices from tropical imports so emailed them but he takes ages to email back so will just wait.
Will let you know how the ray gets on, and if anyone knows anyone who wants a silver arowana at about 14 inch let me know, offers? Or swaps?
Cheers, Dave

Text him and you'll get a better response:) im really happy with the packaging the fish come in along with the really good quality fish from tropical imports, shame he doesnt import loads but then again he's a one man band so most likely cannot.

yeah i might, not in a rush at the moment though, probably in a few weeks or so, he has tigerfish for £25 just wanted to know which they are, but saying tat i got a guy who wants to sell me some cheap, if i got 10 i could get them even cheaper, but i don't want 10 and don't know anyone else who wants any! always the case.
those lads on dans list are the ones you bought right? i noticed they are £30? how big was they, i can't remember what you said. its just laps are normally cheaper then say something like an endli so they must be a bigger size.
i think im just going to take this arowana back to the lfs this week as no one seems to want it, going to take my red tailed shark back aswel, i've given it enough chance's now and it keeps attacking my plec, it gets scared to come out now!!

yeah considering he is a 1 man band he does have a fair few fish, but like you say is probably limited as to hat he can get, he said its only £20 shipping, is this all you payed? seems rather cheap compared to the £30 from most.

the reticulatus is still alive this morning at least, seems to have settled a bit, hope it starts eating soon otherwise it will all go down hill just like the last one!!

He had them on as 10" but theyre a bit bigger than when i measured them. The tire track eel was nearer 14" too instead of the 12" advertised:) .
It worked out £15 for delivery for me, i got the 2 laps and the tire track eel for £100 inc delivery. Before 10 delivery is cool too as i started work at 11 that day so didnt have to take time off :)

http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/detail62_103719.php is the link to his latest stock like he says on the website he;s open to offers :)

oh you know you want the zebra shovel nose cat :)

your right mate i do want the zebra shovel nose! i just want £250 to pay for it first! haha
na i think im going to order some tiger fish, depending on what this other guy comes up with, probably some more frontosa's if i don't get any more before hand.

shame about the ray,those rays are very picky feeders and its hard to put weight on them
tanks looking good

yeah i knew before i got them they were picky etc but the two males are doing brilliantly so i dont understand why the female isnt. Does anyone know anything about magdalenae rays, dont know if thats how its spelt?
Im away from home today at a boxing match but will check the female when im back. Taking advantage of an unsecure wireless network! Ha
Oh, would anyone be interested in some silver dats 2-4 inch, a silver dat at 10 inch, a microlepis at 12 inch? Let me know, been offered a pulcher cheap because it has a cloudy eye, he said it is clearing up though. Will have to travel 2.5 hours to get it so might pick up some other dats, but if anyone wants any i might aswel pick some more up.

Dave

Most reactions

Back