55g Himalayan Foothills Paludarium

Actually your toads are not what I expected. Way back, when I was a teen, I had a couple of fire bellies and their bellies were black and an orange/red. Did I not have what I thought or are yours just juveniles without mature coloring?
Yeah, these just have kind of blotchy yellowish bellies. I believe they haven't colored up yet...hopefully they will.

Got some calcium/vitamin supplement to dust the fruit flies, and I'm starting several of my own cultures. Also thinking seriously about starting a grindel worm culture. Frogs are doing well, and the hillstream barbs are finally starting to let themselves be seen a bit more. Still waiting on padamya barbs. They are really going to change the look of this tank.

The choprae danios have been schooling really closely around the tank, which is fun to watch. Makes me wonder if they're scared of something.

probably the toads... if nothing else, just because they aren't fish

schooling / shoaling is interesting... I've been watching a bunch of it lately... for example my Tin Foils, even when they were the biggest fish in the tank, & were 4 inches long, they would gather in a corner & dare each other to go out of the corner... same thing at 6 inches... but now at 6 to 7 inches, they are relaxed they are still crazy at feeding time, but not in a panic... the only change, & in this case what I think made the difference, is I moved my emerging Lucky bamboo to this tank, & it filled a bunch of the open space in the middle, that I had originally left open for swimming space... now they leisurely swim among the bamboo... maybe the open spaces made them nervous???

on my South American tank, the Prestellas ( there are 6 ) 4 of them hang in a loose group, & 2 are almost always out on their own... the Rummy Nose's ( there are 8 ) most always are in a tighter group, they share space with the Pristellas some times

on my African Tetra tank, there are 4 or 5 of each kind... some group with others, but that is in an extra deep tank ( 45 gallon tall ... 3 feet wide, & 2 feet deep ) & they seem to sort out by depth... the interuptus seem to like the top 6 inches, & they share that occasionally with the golds... the balance like the middle of the tank from 6 inches to 18 inches, except the Brichardi, & both the blue & red Brichardi hang out together at the tops of the tangle of Java ferns in the bottom 6 inches... there are about 20 Armano shrimp in the tangle... the fish generally stay out of the plants, except for after all the slowly sinking food has sank, they venture down into the weeds to scavenge food ( it doesn't last very long, with my little king tiger plecos, a couple albino Cory's & all the shrimp on the bottom though

Last edited:
schooling / shoaling is interesting... I've been watching a bunch of it lately... for example my Tin Foils, even when they were the biggest fish in the tank, & were 4 inches long, they would gather in a corner & dare each other to go out of the corner... same thing at 6 inches... but now at 6 to 7 inches, they are relaxed they are still crazy at feeding time, but not in a panic... the only change, & in this case what I think made the difference, is I moved my emerging Lucky bamboo to this tank, & it filled a bunch of the open space in the middle, that I had originally left open for swimming space... now they leisurely swim among the bamboo... maybe the open spaces made them nervous???

on my South American tank, the Prestellas ( there are 6 ) 4 of them hang in a loose group, & 2 are almost always out on their own... the Rummy Nose's ( there are 8 ) most always are in a tighter group, they share space with the Pristellas some times

on my African Tetra tank, there are 4 or 5 of each kind... some group with others, but that is in an extra deep tank ( 45 gallon tall ... 3 feet wide, & 2 feet deep ) & they seem to sort out by depth... the interuptus seem to like the top 6 inches, & they share that occasionally with the golds... the balance like the middle of the tank from 6 inches to 18 inches, except the Brichardi, & both the blue & red Brichardi hang out together at the tops of the tangle of Java ferns in the bottom 6 inches... there are about 20 Armano shrimp in the tangle... the fish generally stay out of the plants, except for after all the slowly sinking food has sank, they venture down into the weeds to scavenge food ( it doesn't last very long, with my little king tiger plecos, a couple albino Cory's & all the shrimp on the bottom though
Interesting! Watching them this morning, it seemed that the danios aren't acting panicked, just moving deliberately around the tank in these compact, directional schools. My tank has a pretty strong directional flow, with a lot of hard structure, so I suspect there are just obvious routes through the current that they're following. It's really fun to watch.

I've only seen three frogs the past several days, even at feeding time. One of them either died or found its way into a part of the tank where I haven't found it yet. There are no off smells, so hopefully either it is still alive somewhere or the isopods ate it before it could get too nasty.

The ones I'm seeing are starting to get their orange bellies. Sort of a pale salmon color right now, but definitely brighter than when I got them. I've been dusting their fruit flies with Repashy calcium +, which has loads of carotene in it. Seems to be helping.

Padamya barbs are coloring up well in quarantine. I have them in a 10 gallon, which isn't ideal. I plan to quarantine them for three weeks then add them to the tank if all looks well. I was treating them with paraguard, but decided to stop since they are shiny, active, and eating well, showing no signs of stress or sickness other than somewhat dull coloring.

Had another frog go missing, but found them both last night. They were tucked into a tiny crack in the waterfall. It seems like they'd get hungry. I wonder if they're trying to hibernate.

Had another frog go missing, but found them both last night. They were tucked into a tiny crack in the waterfall. It seems like they'd get hungry. I wonder if they're trying to hibernate.
LOL! If you end up with a bunch of tadpoles they weren't hibernating. ;)

Most reactions

Back