5 gallon Betta tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JxsPxxle

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was curious what tank mates I can keep with my male Betta fish, in his 5 gallon tank. I have heard ADFs do good but I don’t like the idea of them if i’m honest. Are there any others which would do alright?

I kept my Betta alone, they usually do not react well to other fish, even if they just site there and not attack they are stressed whenever another fish swims into their territory. Maybe a snail may work.

I kept my Betta alone, they usually do not react well to other fish, even if they just site there and not attack they are stressed whenever another fish swims into their territory. Maybe a snail may work.
I have a nerite with him, and some blue velvet shrimp along with some RCS.

I think otos or cory would do well with betta :)
No otos with a betta.. they are too active... a beta really does best alone... one snail would be ok... I speak from experience... I had harlequin rasboras with him in a 10 gallon tank and he would hide all day.. now he is in his own 5 gallon tank and is out and about most of the day and comes to side of the tank to greet me

No otos with a betta.. they are too active... a beta really does best alone... one snail would be ok... I speak from experience... I had harlequin rasboras with him in a 10 gallon tank and he would hide all day.. now he is in his own 5 gallon tank and is out and about most of the day and comes to side of the tank to greet me
I have 2 mystery snails with betta they do well too! My betta always curious about snails like “whats this thing?”

5 gallons is too small for any fish other than a betta. As the other's have said, snails are fine; shrimps can be hit or miss as some bettas will eat them.

Guess I will just keep the Betta alone, thanks for the heads up everyone.

I guess I must be (TSTL) To stupid to live. :eek::rofl: I have been keeping fish off and on for more than 50 years and I have no clue what ADF's or OTOS are, please educate me.

I guess I must be (TSTL) To stupid to live. :eek::rofl: I have been keeping fish off and on for more than 50 years and I have no clue what ADF's or OTOS are, please educate me.
ADF: African Dwarf Frogs
RCS: Red Cherry Shrimp
Otos: Otocinclus fish

Most reactions

Back