6 gallon stocking

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I had pygmies when I had my 30g long and I don't think they would do well on this particular tank as it's tall rather than long. I wasn't sure if the same would apply to most shoaling fish?

I would also be concerned with the lack of swimming length.

The shrimps in the 9 gallon, what are they? If they are cherry shrimps, what colour? You could do cherry shrimps of a completely different colour if you have cherries of a single colour in the 9 gallon.

I would also be concerned with the lack of swimming length.

The shrimps in the 9 gallon, what are they? If they are cherry shrimps, what colour? You could do cherry shrimps of a completely different colour if you have cherries of a single colour in the 9 gallon.
I was wondering about this. I have some pearl blue neos (not sure if that's the correct term but that's what name they were sold under).

So perhaps red or red rilli or orange or yellow neocardinas, whatever names the seller calls them?

Would any cories be OK with a footprint of 30 x 22 cm/12 x 8.5 inches?
No. Not even pygmies. Active cat-fish constantly foraging.

For some reason I always think sparkling gourami are really big, I think I always oversize fish in my head.
Sparkling gouramis will be fine, and especially if you could get/create a mated pair that will mainly focus on one spot when nesting. But generally speaking, anything 10+ gallon for them. I just like to give fish more space than they require, adds up to them thriving in the end.

Bettas are fine in 5+ gallon tanks, they've been made to have long fins which are energy consuming.

No. Not even pygmies. Active cat-fish constantly foraging.

Sparkling gouramis will be fine, and especially if you could get/create a mated pair that will mainly focus on one spot when nesting. But generally speaking, anything 10+ gallon for them. I just like to give fish more space than they require, adds up to them thriving in the end.

Bettas are fine in 5+ gallon tanks, they've been made to have long fins which are energy consuming.
I think the thing that "worries" me about having a pair is what if they breed. I know not all the fry would make it but wouldn't want to find myself in a position with too many fish as I don't want to go back to having a bigger tank (health reasons).

I may stick to different coloured shrimp and potentially another betta. I do like scarlet badis (and the blue ones too, not sure of their proper name), but from what I can see they would prefer to live in groups or pairs.

I think the thing that "worries" me about having a pair is what if they breed. I know not all the fry would make it but wouldn't want to find myself in a position with too many fish as I don't want to go back to having a bigger tank (health reasons).

I may stick to different coloured shrimp and potentially another betta. I do like scarlet badis (and the blue ones too, not sure of their proper name), but from what I can see they would prefer to live in groups or pairs.
If they breed, most fry won't make it and parents or other sparklings would eat the fry. Even if they made it out, you can sell them. Fish keepers like sparklings.

Shrimps + some snails combo is nice. Shrimps like snails.

If they breed, most fry won't make it and parents or other sparklings would eat the fry. Even if they made it out, you can sell them. Fish keepers like sparklings.

Shrimps + some snails combo is nice. Shrimps like snails.
I'm not great with snails, they never last more than a year with me!

Would any cories be OK with a footprint of 30 x 22 cm/12 x 8.5 inches?
Not relally; you could stuff pygmy in there I suppose a group of 6 or 8; but it is not great for them. I usually keep them in a 20 long or larger.

That's what I thought. I certainly wouldn't keep any 'cories' in a tank that small.

I think i would suggest these critters:
dario dario -> require live food
shrimp - a million and one shrimps
another beta but one of the more unusual ones - there are several i suppose but i never bother with beta.
one of the smaller shell dwellers might work - not sure haven't kept them but i think there is one species that stays around 1 inch
4 ember tetra
--
I can't think of much else beyond snails and i find snails boring. Though i did end up with this once:

I can't think of much else beyond snails and i find snails boring.
They're fun to watch, they do such silly things :D

IMG_3827.jpeg

Yea i had a mystery snail with a hate of algae on it; should probably take the time to find it on my phone.... BUT i still find them boring ;)

Most reactions

Back