24G Nano Cube DX Nano Reef Setup

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yeah..Banggai's are a love hate relationship....sorta the couch potato of fish. They are just one of the most outstanding fish I've ever seen, yet, slow movers and damn such picky eaters. SH

I'll try and get one. I've held back as my tank recently got hit hard....not sure why...lost a good handful of corals and now my yashia haze and pistol shrimp are missing. I've checked my tank and can't find anything going on in the dark. My nitrates are at zero and all my other corals are thriving. See that....you don't have to be a mod in the nano reef world to take an arrows thru the heart. These tanks CAN be tough to manage. My tank is coming up on one year and I"m due to post my one year summary. SH

As above. LPS have larger polyps with a stony skeleton. Best example...thing of a closed brain coral and all those 'circular' polyps. SPS is small polyped...think of acropora with all those tiny little polyps sticking out. SPS, in general, are more demanding of high lighting condtions and impeccable water quality. SH

Thought my yashia haze had died, but, found him yesterday in one of the rear chambers of my NC and was able to 'fish' him out. It is one of the negative things about this tank is that fish can jump over the wall and disappear. If you dont' find them, they can starve. Fortunately, I've grown some nice copepods back there and perhaps that is what he was living on.

One of the great success stories of my tank is the amazing refugium I've created in the back middle chamber. The chamber is almost 16 inches deep and more than 4 inches wide and is packed from top to bottom with chaeto. My nitrates are staying at 0 ppm which I totally can't believe. Here is my before and after pix:

Chaeto growth with a 10 watt halogen bulb:

nano110.jpg

Chaeto with my modified external fuge light:

nano159.jpg

nano157.jpg

SH

Last night was the first time ....I removed about 1/3rd. Unfortunately, I had to toss it in the garbage. SH

Ohman, what a waste. I have advertuised and asked all over for cheato, and no one has it, or is willing to sell me any... :(

just posting to thank everyone on this thread for posting, its been one of the best threads ive read in a long time and stealhealr your last shots of your tank were beautiful. i love your atitude and style of writing etc.
And would also like to set up a nano when i get the chance, but all my money at the moment is for a new 40gal FW which i will be getting in 1 month (damn GCSE'S, cant have until after grr)
thanks anyway

No problem....Miaggi....I'd send you it, but, remember, my tank has a red macroalge which is pervasive and there are clumps of it in the chaeto. Unless you wanted the same macro, I'm not sure you want MY chaeto. Besides, what are customs like for shipping overseas.? SH

No problem....Miaggi....I'd send you it, but, remember, my tank has a red macroalge which is pervasive and there are clumps of it in the chaeto. Unless you wanted the same macro, I'm not sure you want MY chaeto. Besides, what are customs like for shipping overseas.? SH

where did you get that 10 W Quartz Halogen? I think it seems like a great mod if it doesnt effect the temp at all. My Cube is sitll in the early stages (less than 2 months) and i could see this being a wonderful addition over the next month as the tank continues to mature.

Forget the halogen.....cut the vinyl off over the back middle chamber and illuminate it from the outside. MUCH BETTER. SH

Most reactions

Back