24G Nano Cube DX Nano Reef Setup

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

No SPS in my tank...I have LPS tho'. SPS would most likely survive but brown out. How do I do it? HMMMM...sometimes I wonder myself. I guess maybe just being consistent....

Remember...watts per gallon is just a rule of thumb. Cleaning the splashguard, lighting interval, placement of corals, water flow, FEEDING....all contribute to how well the corals do. SH

SH, You have a Yashia Haze right? Can you give me some info on it? What do you feed it? How often? How much did it cost you to purchase it? Is it easy to keep? Thanks_CF

My yashia haze and pistol fortunately staked out a cave in the front of my tank. They live together and help each other out...the goby has better eyesight and guards the cave...the shrimp maintains it...both share food.

Some websites say feed 2X a day but I feed them along with everyone else everyother day and they seem fine. I bought them paired from Drs. Foster and Smith....not cheap but not super expensive for the fun and fascination they've supplied. They have been pretty easy to keep. I feed them:
-mysis shrimp
-enriched brine shrimp
-they will pull into the cave flake and shrimp pellets
-cyclopeeze

Here is a video of me feeding them. SH

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...&hl=yashia+haze

The hairline has not budged. Still..if I had the time and resources, I'd change up and use this tank for a prop tank in my unfinished basement. SH

Great article dating back to early last year, I just finished reading the whole documentary. As stated by another reader, you definetly can turn this into a book...I myself just purchased a new Aqua pod tank 24 gallon, made by CURRENT@. I went ahead and upgraded to the Sunpod lighting (14,000K HQI metal halide(s), with blue and white lunar lights. IF you have any information on this product, I would sincerly like to hear from you. I kind of wanted to skip your chapter of terror, with the cracking of your glass. I will definetly use your setup as a template for mine. Thank for such a in-depth article..
I also stumbled across a skimmer that will fit the nano cube and aqua pod, While shopping for my tank- FISSION SKIMMER measuring only 6.5" high and 2.5" in diameter.

Thanks for the kind comments. I've been keeping up with the AquaPod and I've heard they had a shaky start...some cheesey construction and poor fitting hood. I've also heard that they are remedying this.

Your tank has a few mods.....rear sump features, skimmer and the ability to add on the Sunpod. I'm starting to see some people sell their fission skimmers tho'..some aren't happy with them and choose to create some sort of fuge. You should start an AquaPod thread. Although I am not a big fan of skimming, I stuck with an AquaC Remora when needed. It's a HOB...or...I should say side with the NC and a damn good one. Does the job well. SH

My goodness! I have finally finished this thread. It was fascinating and a very candid account of the highs and lows of this type of setup. I'm impressed.

Your tank is stunning and it is unfortunate that you have a crack in the tank. I hope it holds out for your until you can find a proper solution.

I especially enjoy the symbiotic relationship between the shrimp and the goby.

I keep planted tanks and I don't think I'll ever complain about BGA again after seeing your battle with that pink stuff. Cyano bacteria? I'd look it up, but that would entail searching through about 10pgs of posts. That was kind of gross. :sick: When I am settled in Miami, I may consider a larger reef, 40-55g, but I have learned a great deal from your example and your experiences with your Nano system.

Great thread and it's no wonder you've been made a mod.

lljdma06 :)

Thanks so much for that comment...keeps me going. It's been a long journey with this tank...it's still going and STILL has it ups and downs. SH

SH,
What do you feed your Banggai cardinalfish. Mine doesn't seem to want to eat.

These guys are VERY picky......in my tank, the Banggai will eat only 2 things, mysid shrimp and enriched brine shrimp. It's pretty sad to watch him with flake. He tries to 'be like everyone else', takes a piece in, and contorts as if he just bit into something weird..then spits the flake out in hundreds of pieces.

He will not eat slow sinking pellet, flake, nori.....you could try frozen squid next, but, I didn't have success with that either. SH

Hey Steelhealr!

I spent a fantastic hour reading the thread from start to finish today, it was a real joy! I particularly enjoyed the sections on modifications, and the way it was presented. It's a thread that I'm very sure will serve many Nano-noobs (of which I plan to become one this year). It might be an idea to make a hard copy of it somehow, to ensure it wouldnt be lost in the event of TFF ever suffering at the hands of meltdown!

The one thing I was going to ask was about your edition of the Hammer Coral. In your list of Yes/no/maybe corals, you listed it as a "no", and then later on you added it to your nano, why was this?

Great stuff, please be sure to update regularly! If you could get a short video of the whole tank, that could be a fantastic addition to this thread.

Fella

Thanks for the great comments. I really should go back and edit it. In my early stages, I thought that a hammer might be difficult to keep. It has turned out to be the opposite. I dont' think that it is beyond the reach of a newcomer who has WAITED for their tank to mature. SH

My cardnal as well will only eat shrimp, although from time to time he takes daphina, and he will gulp at the surface when I put in freeze dried cyclopleeze. I have tried 10 different flakes and pellets, no luck. I wish I had found out how pickey he was before I bought him, but he is fun to watch, and its not too much trouble to heat up shrimp every other day. Im going to try freeze dried stuff soon (shrimp i saw at store) and see if he takes that as an alt when I dont have time to thaw.

Most reactions

Back