Yeast...

mattbleasby

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Looking for some advice.

Im going to give DIY C02 ago i think. Looking to get a decent C02 kit in a couple of months, But im intrigued too see if i can get this DIY stuff too work.

So begins the questions ;) Where on earth do i buy Yeast from?

I'm not sure if this is a joke question? But, the grocery store of course, baking aisle...

i looked around a massive Tescos the other day, they didnt have any

Snap. I tried looking for it in tesco's and i couldnt find it. So i thought id ask here.

I found some in asda, and my local one stop shop. Try the shops you would not expect to have small convenience stores.

OK :) Ill take a look. Anybody got any experience with DIY C02 kits. They seem so simple too make. I didnt realise.

I have made the yeast co2 and made another last night :)

not built one, not sure i will, doing a FE one at the moment, total cost should be about £100 :| lots less hastle of changing bottles all the time, i just didnt fancy that and im lazy :D

LOL wich type of setup do you use for it? I noticed there are a few different ones. i was thinking this one?
Click me.
Also what do you use as a diffuser? I will get a fancy glass one next week, but want to get it running :)

Yeast is usually in the baking aisle next to the flour.

There is more than one kind. Fast acting (usually for bread machines in sachets) and standard which comes in a jar/tub. There is also yeast for wine and beer which is supposed to last longer.

I have been finding (with the Hagen yeast kit) that the fast acting one is much more constant in output than the standard which seems to put out as lot of CO2 at first and then tails off.

Some people also put bicarbonate of soda in the mix as a buffering agent.

I couldn't be bothered with all that messing about so I opted for the Nutrafin kit, it works fine just throw away the little packets of activator you get with it and use ordinary bakers yeast readily avalaible in asda

LOL wich type of setup do you use for it? I noticed there are a few different ones. i was thinking this one?
Click me.
Also what do you use as a diffuser? I will get a fancy glass one next week, but want to get it running :)

Thats the one but i use 2 x 2ltr coke bottles for better bubble count. Oh and i never used the baking soda.

I tried a diffuser but could not get the co2 going through it. I will be trying again with the new set up i made for my 2nd tank. So what i did was have the tube underneath my filter intake so the bubbles get sucked in and fired out the top.

Video here, http://youtu.be/Gh-0Flz8h74 on that video a few bubbles miss but i have adjusted this now and all bubbles go into the filter.

LP

Click me.

Thats the one but i use 2 x 2ltr coke bottles for better bubble count. Oh and i never used the baking soda.

I tried a diffuser but could not get the co2 going through it. I will be trying again with the new set up i made for my 2nd tank. So what i did was have the tube underneath my filter intake so the bubbles get sucked in and fired out the top.

Video here, http://youtu.be/Gh-0Flz8h74 on that video a few bubbles miss but i have adjusted this now and all bubbles go into the filter.

LP

Nice video :) have your plants taken off since adding it? I cant really do that though as i have a HOB filter. Marina Slim. S cant really have them in the intake otherwise they will just diffuse in the filter :p

Hmm.

Most reactions

Back