Yeast...

hard to see if anything is actually diffusing into the water or not there really, might be better with a ladder then when the bubbles come out the top the filter could give them one last push around the tank.

I think im going too use another little jar between the yeast bottle and the aquarium as a Bubble Counter. Also incase any gunk gets taken in.

The plants are a lot healthier since the co2 has been setup. Alot more vibrant green. The filter i have throws out very small co2 bubble all over the tank when passed through.

I will be trying the diffuser again tonight in the larger tank.

If I'm not mistaken, I think LL told me (maybe ianho will see this and help me out) that one of the old planted hobbyists was going to re-visit the DIY thing and work on some new idea for a DIY system that was somehow improved (I don't know if he ever did it so I'm sorry if I send somebody off on a wild goose chase here.) I don't know if it was some sort of double-bottle system or just some sort of different approach with just redundant bottle systems or just some change of approach. Hopefully one of the planted folks will remember (maybe it was supercoley doing something?)

WD
ps. despite the frustrations of the steady maintenance, at least DIY is giving you real CO2 and that definately has superiority over liquid-carbon (positive effects for a broader range of plant species for one thing, and other positive things I think.)

Thanks WaterDrop. Hopefully someone will come along and point us in the right direction :) Quite excited for getting it going. May have to go get some Yeast tomorrow and get her running :) Going to try with a little airstone on the end at first. And see where that gets me. Then ill get a nice little fancy glass diffuser as they look awesome.

You can use a chopstick as well never tried this though. See here, http://www.aquascapingworld.com/forum/equipment/748-great-diy-co2-diffuser-diy-co2-yeast.html

Yeah read a little bit about the Chopstick method. I Think ill be getting a Glass Nano Diffuser though as i like my tank's too look smart. Dont mind the outside being abit messy underneath the desk ;)

But for the time being it may well have to be the chopstick or some soft wood. Thats if the air-stone does not work.

Let me know how you get on with the diffuser and i will do the same after tonights attemp to get it running again :)

:) I will do :) keep me posted. :) I cant wait :lol: excited to see ickle bubbles of C02 :) Ill have to get myself to asda or somewhere to get some yeast tomorrow. Maybe sainsbury's will have some as theres in the high street near me.

The chances are the pressure created in the fermenter you are making wont provide enough pressure for a diffuser, there has only been one diffuser so far that I have found to have worked well with CO2 and that is one of the nano one's from Hong Kong as found on Ebay.

If you can't find any dried yeast ask in the in-store bakery, they normally have yeast, it wont be dried but will work just as well, it obviously wont last as long however.

Just found this, http://diyyeastco2.blogspot.com/ same filter as mine so i may give this a go if the glass diffuser i have fails.

Matt, Sainsburys sell it but don't bother with Aldi on your way home from work, they don't. It comes in sachets, Sainsburys only sell their own make. Next to the flour in the section that sells things like baking powder and glace cherries. I have a breadmaker, so I know exactly what shops in the area sell what brand of yeast :D

Edit
Oh, and tesco in Eaglescliffe and Barwick sell it (there own make and hovis) as do asda in Portrack Lane (allinsons).

I just got a JBL ladder reactor, tubing and 1 way valve, also ordered a FE which should be here tomorrow :eek: huzza

just be aware guys, that you may be leaving yourselves wide open to certain types of algaes with DIY C02. With algae's like BBA, it thrives off of unstable C02, which is what is produced by the yeast method. I personally wouldn't use DIY on any tank over 15g, unless you follow AC's yeast method here. He use 3x 2ltr bottles on a 125ltr. Kits like the Hagen one, holds about 500ml, which i would use in a 15-20 ltr tank, but not much more.

Most reactions

Back