What Is Between Your Tank And The Surface It Sits On?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Shelster

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a 180litre which sits on the stand provided for it.

My aquanano has feet on the bottom.

My 54 litre is on a kitchen worktop which I put coasters under to allow a bit of air movement.

I know some people have polystyrene under theirs, but what do you have? And why did you choose that?

Cheers :)

A rug! I used it when i was cycling the tank and I suddenly forgot to get it off! Funny story really!

I have polystyrene under most of my tanks, except the ones that have feet or floating bases, and the one that's got carpet under it (I was in a hurry to set it up!) 
innocent.gif

I have polystyrene under mine - you want polystyrene under any full glass tank to distribute the weight otherwise it cracks - but some modern tanks with the plastic trim dont need it.

Wills

Thanks guys, I was wondering about the coasters under my 54litre :/

Maybe when I plan a bit of a rescape ill maybe replace with something like mentioned above then.

Is the 54 liter just a bare glass tank? If it is i would do it asap

Wills

i cant use polystyrene as i have a phobia of the stuff which i am always mocked about as i am 6ft 4 ,15 stone idiot!! so i have a wooden base with rubber on top.

All three of mine are floating bases on their designated cabinets, all colour matching. I do have problems. Baha 

Unless its one one of my homemade 2x4 type stands, there is nothing. many tanks that are bare bottom I am able to look up from below and see whats under the wood, rocks etc. I find it a big help in the pleco tanks.

For the ones one 2x3s on edge (3x33gal, 1x55gal, 125gal, 150 gal) I use an adhesive foam weather stripping that varies in thickness. The bigger the tank the thicker and wider the weatherstripping. The entire bottom frame sits on this and it self levels when compressed. It compensates for the minor unevenness of 2x4s on edge.
1019b5db-f777-4dd6-b4a8-7204a0248061_300.jpg

All my tanks have frames top and bottom.

No wills it's already set up, been running since jan

image-2_zpsc50698ec.jpg

Ooh thanks twotank ill look for some when we near wickes next :)

I use a aquarium foam mat. The advantage of using a mat that is flexible in some way is that if you had a bit of sand or something between the glass and the mat, the mat absorbs it rather than letting it push up into the glass. Over time, that pressure building upwards would take effect until eventually the glass cracks.

The trouble with using coasters to allow air underneath is that the tank isn't fully supported, and again, it might spontaneously crack/smash one day. Also, with all that air getting underneath you're just letting heat escape for no reason.

Most reactions

Back