Foam base mats

After saying all that, I regret impulse buying what I thought was a 37g second hand, that turned out to be 34g, and finding out after setting it all up that I'm gonna need a bigger one.

I'm getting a second hand fluval 240 now hopefully (still arranging the trade with the seller), and I'm both excited to have a larger tank to scape and for the cories and plecs to have more space, and dreading a bit the switch over and re-scaping. Hoping to have the tank by or at the weekend. Wish me luck, please!
I won't buy aquariums secondhand....I have an inbuilt fear of waking up one morning to find my lounge turned into a soggy swamp. Cos I would always ask myself why the person is selling it...afterall we can all say that we are short of space and get away with that....when infact its as leaky as a tea bag.

At least when buying new, you do have warranties to fall back on if anything goes awry in the first couple of years.

I won't buy aquariums secondhand....I have an inbuilt fear of waking up one morning to find my lounge turned into a soggy swamp. Cos I would always ask myself why the person is selling it...afterall we can all say that we are short of space and get away with that....when infact its as leaky as a tea bag.

At least when buying new, you do have warranties to fall back on if anything goes awry in the first couple of years.
I understand that - the idea of a tank bursting one night, especially a large tank, is probably every fishkeepers worst nightmare. But any manufacturing flaw or mistake in transporting could cause that issue with a brand new tank too. As for why they're selling, I do a 24 leak test in the garden with any "new" tank before bringing it in the house, and there's lots of reasons for people to be selling a tank, from giving up the hobby because they don't have the time or interest anymore, to upgrading their tank. Leaking is a possible reason, but there are many other reasons to be selling a tank, as I know personally from selling mine. Obviously you examine the glass and silicone when you view it and buy it.

New would be nice, but I really can't afford that. I care for my elderly parents now, and that meant gradually cutting my work hours down as they needed more help (especially after my dad broke his hip) to the point I'm not living on carer's allowance alone. Brand new aquariums are expensive, so it's worth it to take the risks of a second hand tank to someone in my position.

If it helps, this will be the fifth tank I've bought second hand, and none of the first four had issues or leaked :)

Most reactions

Back