What Backgrounds Do You Have?

I've tried different kinds, and I think the black looks the best, it's currently on 2 of my tanks, I'm hoping to get them on the rest of my tanks aswell.

Pleas don't let me put you off DJ. We made a mistake on ours and that's why it went wrong. My partner coated it with PVA then used epoxy resin over the top. Unfortunately the water reacted with it and it went wrong.
If you find one of the threads by RRasco, he did a journal of his background and it looked superb!

I have a Juwel system and so the heater and filter are contained within a black box. I just have a piece of black cardboard stuck to the back of my tank, it looks really good (unless my Black Mollie is hanging around the back of the tank).

I have a stick on rock effect sheet. It looks OK, but I am thinking of taking it off and painting the back, probs when I move house in a month.

FullTank060113.jpg

I think it looks quite natural, but I think black will set off the plants and fish when I get my higher lighting.

Pleas don't let me put you off DJ. We made a mistake on ours and that's why it went wrong. My partner coated it with PVA then used epoxy resin over the top. Unfortunately the water reacted with it and it went wrong.
If you find one of the threads by RRasco, he did a journal of his background and it looked superb!

In truth it wasn't just your story, i know 2 people who have tried without success one of those followed instructions of the net, it looked good but fell apart in the water. The other was just nasty, his words not mine :eek:

I have a stick on rock effect sheet. It looks OK, but I am thinking of taking it off and painting the back, probs when I move house in a month.

FullTank060113.jpg

I think it looks quite natural, but I think black will set off the plants and fish when I get my higher lighting.

Nice tank, i think thats what i'll do paint it black still not 100% sure though. I do like the backgroung on stang1's tank ;)

Go with plain black if you like it dark and mysterious. Go with plain blue if you want it bright and airy (ie. it gives a very outdoors-y feel to the tank).

I think your right, i'm going to paint it black this weekend if i get a chance. If i don't like it i can allways stick a background in, i like the rock effect ones like stang1 has.. Thanks guys for all the advice :thanks:

my two medium Juwel tanks: plastic black bin bags courtesy of Southampton city council

big Juwel tank: plastic black background thrown in as an extra by the shop

Rena tank contains a mirror background which I HATE

fry tank: nothing

You can tell I'm a cheapskate, can't you? But I do like the black, like everybody's said, it makes the plants stand out.

A glow in the dark skull and a bubling diver thats what my kids wan't :lol:

lol we have a skull, not glow in the dark though, but we told our daughter to choose from all the ornaments and she chose the skull, so we got it. Its a pirates skull! She loves it, so do my bottom dwellers. My current tank is more of a entertainment tank for her. Next tank is going to be heavily planted.

We have that coral look background, but I havent been happy with it from day 1. I am going to change it to black I think and just have natural colour gravel.

lol we have a skull, not glow in the dark though, but we told our daughter to choose from all the ornaments and she chose the skull, so we got it. Its a pirates skull! She loves it, so do my bottom dwellers. My current tank is more of a entertainment tank for her. Next tank is going to be heavily planted.

We have that coral look background, but I havent been happy with it from day 1. I am going to change it to black I think and just have natural colour gravel.

My kid's tank's have floating divers, skulls and castles and the fish seam to love them :rolleyes: but not in mine i'm afraid. :/ The kid's have already told me i'm mean for not letting the fish have a play ground :lol:

IMO black backgrounds look great.

Having no background can also look good, but that can depend on whats behind the tank. My 20g used to have no background so you could see the wall behind (which is cream), it gave the effect that the fish were swimming in mid air.

My kid's tank's have floating divers, skulls and castles and the fish seam to love them :rolleyes: but not in mine i'm afraid. :/ The kid's have already told me i'm mean for not letting the fish have a play ground :lol:

:lol: That's so cute!!!

I either have a black bg or none on all of my tanks. I like to keep it simple and plain and let the fish be the showcase.

Most reactions

Back