What Backgrounds Do You Have?

I have painted the external wall blue, using tile paint bought from Homebase - Colour is Lapis Blue

If you've got any bottom feeders, I wouldn't recommend black sand. My plecs hated it - tried to turn themselves black to blend in, in the end we had to add normal coloured gravel til they turned back to normal colour, and now my tank looks like it's been filled with that cheapy awful harlequin gravel...all I need now is a glow in the dark skull and a bubbling diver to complete the naff effect :crazy:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Backgrounds are very important IME.

A background should be chosen to suit the aquascape, if you are running a tank from a part decorative perspective at least.

Black tends to work well for most. The contrast is greater, it hides algae etc. better, some equipment is available in black so hiding that is nice......

Blue is popular, especially in SW for obvious reasons.

Artificial backgrounds i.e. printed backdrops, 3D types etc. are better suited to tanks with minimal in-tank decor IMO. Personally I'd never dream of using them, but it's a matter of taste of course.

Many planted aquascapes have no background, but the equipment needs to be hidden accordingly, and the room's decor needs to be appropriate...

Here's two examples of my tanks - black and white. You may agree that swapping the two backgrounds would look less attractive, so you can see how choosing is important.

If you've got any bottom feeders, I wouldn't recommend black sand. My plecs hated it - tried to turn themselves black to blend in, in the end we had to add normal coloured gravel til they turned back to normal colour, and now my tank looks like it's been filled with that cheapy awful harlequin gravel...all I need now is a glow in the dark skull and a bubbling diver to complete the naff effect :crazy:

A glow in the dark skull and a bubling diver thats what my kids wan't :lol:

Like a few other members, I have black backgrounds with black substrate. I think the all black does a nice job in showing off the fish when the light is on.

I have painted the external wall blue, using tile paint bought from Homebase - Colour is Lapis Blue

How many coats did it take?

It took three coats with the addition of a torch to check how thick it was. As it dries like a plastic sheet it can always be peeled off it you change your mind in the future.

The tester pot i bought cost 99p and covered, with three coats, a 20 gallon. Also being waterproof it is a much more stable and dirable background.

Backgrounds are very important IME.

A background should be chosen to suit the aquascape, if you are running a tank from a part decorative perspective at least.

Black tends to work well for most. The contrast is greater, it hides algae etc. better, some equipment is available in black so hiding that is nice......

Blue is popular, especially in SW for obvious reasons.

Artificial backgrounds i.e. printed backdrops, 3D types etc. are better suited to tanks with minimal in-tank decor IMO. Personally I'd never dream of using them, but it's a matter of taste of course.

Many planted aquascapes have no background, but the equipment needs to be hidden accordingly, and the room's decor needs to be appropriate...

Here's two examples of my tanks - black and white. You may agree that swapping the two backgrounds would look less attractive, so you can see how choosing is important.

You have stunning tank's
I'd love to plant like that, not sure i want the added exspence of the co2 setup, plus i will have clown loach which will end up ripping it all up, at least thats what i've been told. Good point about the black backgroud it will help hide the wires ect Thank' :good: s

This is the background on our 40UK Gallon tank. It's a 3d foam background and cost about £60.
fishtanks005.jpg

This is the background on our 21Uk Gallon tank. It's a polystyrene one that cost about £10.
fishtanks021.jpg

My little fighter tanks have different backgrounds that I made myself using slate, pebbles and stone. It was a cheap way of doing it.
Our 120UK Gallon tank has got a Juwel rock background with a tree stump in it. It cost about £105. Sadly, the one we made went pear-shaped so had to buy one. :/

My little fighter tanks have different backgrounds that I made myself using slate, pebbles and stone. It was a cheap way of doing it.
Our 120UK Gallon tank has got a Juwel rock background with a tree stump in it. It cost about £105. Sadly, the one we made went pear-shaped so had to buy one. :/
[/quote]

It was your story that put me off doing my own

This is the background on our 40UK Gallon tank. It's a 3d foam background and cost about �60.
fishtanks005.jpg

Very nice i like this one, I seen the polystyrene log one not quite so sure of that one. I've thought about putting a stone background in as i have tons of york stone in the garden but worried about the weight

I have one of those 3d foamy backgrounds on my larger tank, it's great because it has 1 bit that kinda has a swim through(hard to explain will try to get a pic) and lots of hard bits that are like stone, fake plants on it, looks really natural IMO.

My smallest tank with my corys in has no background at the mo, still unsure whether to have one.

My temporary goldfish tank(upgrading once we move to a bigger place) has a background I photoshopped / printed myself, this is it(it's a bit naff);

fishback2.jpg

Thinking of having this on the upgraded goldfish tank;

fishback1.jpg

I have basic black with white gravel, it looks lovely because it really accentuates the green of the plants and the colours of the fish.

IMHO black is best, I wouldn't have anything else now.

Most reactions

Back