What are you doing today?

so the pond is still not pressure washed. Fish are still in 100 gallon stock tank. The squirrel has decided he doesn't mind sticky feet from Tanglefoot on the fence or he's coming thru tree tops, but when I went out with the air rifle, had trouble loading pellet and went back in, then came back out, the squirrel had left. Maybe he knows something? hvac guy ordered wrong inside unit, coming back with right one next week

This week (on June 12th) we decided to move the aquarium to another place, taking less indirect sun... I believe my photos will soon get (at least) slightly better.

Also, I am trying to find out about my genealogy (Brazil received immigrants in 19th, although much less than United States of America).

1718492870015.jpeg

My Betta "yawning"...
1718493044519.jpeg

1718493061413.jpeg

What am I doing, you ask?
I'm trying to get some members to enter their Cichlids in our Fish of the Month contest which is now accepting entries.
If you have Cichlids, we hope you enter ONE of them into the contest.
It's not just about trying to win, it's about participating.
CLICK HERE to visit the entry thread.

Last edited:
Also, I am trying to find out about my genealogy (Brazil received immigrants in 19th, although much less than United States of America).
We should all hope we aren't as inbred as our Bettas...

Geneology for colonized settler countries can be interesting. I came up with Irish, English, Innu, Dutch, Norwegian, Guinean and Welsh. But then you discover some were immigrants to the countries they emigrated from, and it becomes really complicated. If a Canadian with my profile moved to Brazil in 1920 and was an ancestor, geneology would consider him Canadian. Good luck!

First time out of the house since my heart attack, got to go to my friends wedding. I had to leave after an hour sadly but it was so nice to get out
IMG_2899.jpeg
IMG_2881.jpeg

so the pond is still not pressure washed. Fish are still in 100 gallon stock tank. The squirrel has decided he doesn't mind sticky feet from Tanglefoot on the fence or he's coming thru tree tops, but when I went out with the air rifle, had trouble loading pellet and went back in, then came back out, the squirrel had left. Maybe he knows something? hvac guy ordered wrong inside unit, coming back with right one next week
Squirrels are the bane of bird gardens. Linda serially rants about them skimming from the feeders. We have tried many solutions but limited success. I have offered a solution that will work without fail but Linda says no squirrelcide allowed.

What is tanglefoot ?

All of my squirrel problems have been solved as we have a bobcat that passes through on a regular basis, doing the rounds of his vast territory. He is an incredibly efficient predator - no squirrel has lasted more than 2 weeks out back. I dutifully warn them all when they arrive, but do they listen? Nope.

There's a huge groundhog with a bunch of babies living under the neighbour's shed, and they have skills, so far. The big Springtime raccoon that battled all comers and claimed this area as his own went out and got hit by a car - that's what happens to dumb alphas. And the skunks seem to have met with a similar fate. Say what you want about tourists, but they do run over skunks and raccoons.

I got to watch a white/blue freighter going into port at 6am when I was walking the dog - they don't usually have those colours. I'll call that a good start - 3 hours of painting, then some water changing, grocery shopping, a visit from a friend with his kids, and maybe some Euro watching. For now, really strong dark roast coffee as I sit beside a snoring dog and look at the Atlantic.

Was up early today and stepped outside...

This is really nothing special as to a morning sky in Wyoming but it caught my eye and I ran up to my apartment to get my camera. I just liked the colors and contrast. This is just before the sun would peek out above the ridge. The colors in the photo are accurate.

Morning sky-small.JPG

We got in around 10:30 last night, after an exhausting but wonderful week at a youth camp in Nebraska (Did I post a video of some of the singing? Can't remember. But it was amazing.) Left at 8 a.m., and gained an hour going west, which makes it...15 hours on the road, I think? There were some stops in there to eat pizza and frolic about in parks and such, but still, a very, very long day.

We came west through the Nebraska Sandhills, an area I had never seen before. It's quite beautiful, not at all the kind of country I would expect to see in Nebraska. That part of the drive was very pleasant.

None of us are moving very quickly today. We might or might not go to church. Much laying around, some low-key laundry and bow work, and a nap are definitely on the agenda.

Squirrels are the bane of bird gardens. Linda serially rants about them skimming from the feeders. We have tried many solutions but limited success. I have offered a solution that will work without fail but Linda says no squirrelcide allowed.

What is tanglefoot ?
Tanglefoot is a product made from tree sap. I use it on the legs of my hive stands to keep ants out - it tangles their feet. On a squirrel foot that squirrel is going to be licking a while to remove it, I've still got some on my beesuit from 5 years ago. the squirrel is now coming thru tree tops to hit. maybe my tall 19 year old grandson can help me wrap some branches with fruit in deer netting

All of my squirrel problems have been solved as we have a bobcat that passes through on a regular basis, doing the rounds of his vast territory. He is an incredibly efficient predator - no squirrel has lasted more than 2 weeks out back. I dutifully warn them all when they arrive, but do they listen? Nope.

There's a huge groundhog with a bunch of babies living under the neighbour's shed, and they have skills, so far. The big Springtime raccoon that battled all comers and claimed this area as his own went out and got hit by a car - that's what happens to dumb alphas. And the skunks seem to have met with a similar fate. Say what you want about tourists, but they do run over skunks and raccoons.

I got to watch a white/blue freighter going into port at 6am when I was walking the dog - they don't usually have those colours. I'll call that a good start - 3 hours of painting, then some water changing, grocery shopping, a visit from a friend with his kids, and maybe some Euro watching. For now, really strong dark roast coffee as I sit beside a snoring dog and look at the Atlantic.
I will pass on a bobcat as squirrel solution. I bobcat’s life expectancy in my yard would equal the length of time a bullet took to reach him.

The red fox took care of our squirrel problem for a few years until the family moved on.

Most reactions

Back