What are you doing today?

Where does one obtain a “box of 1000 marbles”?
IMG_5105.jpeg

Today is "spiderproof the house" day, now!!

Well, can't really spider-proof it, but definitely spraying thresholds, almost everywhere around my own bed and bedroom with citronella and peppermint, anyway! I was late doing that this season, and a big house spider just reminded me of that overdue job!

I try so hard not to be a wuss about spiders. Can relocate and handle smaller ones, but UK house spiders have always been my nemesis. I realise how fortunate we are in the UK that all of our species are basically harmless, but it doesn't stop this species in particular, Tegenaria domestica, from freaking me out!!

I can deal with spiders from a distance, and when they're slow. But these are fast, and their mating season here begins around August-September time. Generally they'll hide away in dark, rarely used areas and won't be a bother, but during mating season is when male start scuttling all over the place in search of females, and why we then often find one stranded in a bath or sink, or falling onto terrified people from door frames or furniture.

And they always, always, manage to jumpscare or run at me!! I want to leave you guys alone, I really do! But has to be a two way street.
We have cellar spiders, which bother me a lot less since they stay put in their webs out of the way, tiny body and long skinny legs, so much less scary to me than the scuttling, fast, hairy brown ones that can get pretty big and always seem to run at or on me at some point. But cellar spiders, with their webs and nimble skinny legs, can take down house spiders. So cellars are usually allowed to stay if they're in a predictable out of the way spot like my cleaning cupboard, as long as they're willing to pay rent by keeping the house spiders down.

Anyhow my day started as it often does, my sipping coffee around 5:30am and reminding Pixie that it's not quite time for her breakfast yet, not til 6am - while I try to regain consciousness and wake up from morning zombie status. I like being awake and getting stuff done early, but I'm not a natural morning lark, and need a minimum of two coffees and a shower before I can human. But it's usually a nice peaceful time of the day, with the birds starting to sing, sky gradually lightening, before a lot of people around and city noise begins.

But this one was interrupted by Pixie, who had been lying on the bed in front of me, giving me sad Spaniel "I swear, I haven't eaten in months and I'm weak from hunger" eyes, suddenly jumping as if she'd been stung or bitten by something, then a huge house spider running from her straight towards me! I made a noise I didn't know I was capable of making and instinctively slapped and killed it. Sorry! If it had been not on me at the time, I would try to contain & release it one of the sheds, but when it's actually on me, I can't! That's a "him or me" situation, because the only thing worse than a house spider running on me, is one running on me and then vanishing under the bed, and my not being able to sleep until it's found and gone, one way or the other.

Poor Pix! Don't think she was actually bitten, BTW. She was just startled by it scuttling over her like an obstacle, judging by the direction and way it came towards me, it must have ran over her. So. Spider Stay Away Spray Day today!

I'm nursing a cold. Today is day #3 and I'm still sneezing and coughing and have a slight temperature. My throat hurts from coughing, my chest is tight because I have asthma. At least my brain is functioning almost normally this morning. It's our grandson's second birthday tomorrow but dare I risk taking this cold to their house?

Edit. I've just done a Covid test and it's not a cold..........

Last edited:
Those tegenaria spiders are established along the dock areas in Halifax, Nova Scotia. How do I know this? They're in my daughter's house, and all though her neighourhood as invasives. That's a big, ugly spider.

We don't have them where I live - we just have established invasive black widows up from the States. Living in a port makes spider watching interesting.

We don't get the widow spiders in the house, from what I've seen, but they were well established in the shed I gutted to make my little greenhouse. I did a double take when I realized how they actually looked out there, and researched if it was even possible. It is, and they're settled in our micro-climate here.

I fixed the pond yesterday. Apparently when granddaughter and I emptied it last month we pushed on the milk crates supporting the top basin corner waterfall and made a small tear in the liner. with no child here it got everything out and pressure washed, leaks patched and refilled. Bottom half needs done some time. today the bees get treated and I go build a friend's waterfall

I fixed the pond yesterday. Apparently when granddaughter and I emptied it last month we pushed on the milk crates supporting the top basin corner waterfall and made a small tear in the liner. with no child here it got everything out and pressure washed, leaks patched and refilled. Bottom half needs done some time. today the bees get treated and I go build a friend's waterfall

I admire how handy-capable you are! I wanna be you when I grow up ;) 😆

We pause now for a brief commercial.

What am I doing today?
I'm promoting the Tank of the Month contest poll. We want ALL MEMBERS to vote in this TOTM poll. If you haven't yet voted, please vote now. CLICK HERE to be instantly teleported over the the TOTM polling thread. Then CAST your vote.

Winner to be announced next Thursday.

Soon, our Pet of the Month contest will be accepting entries. If you have a pet besides fish, we hope to see you enter it in the POTM contest.

AND NOW back to our regularly scheduled topic :lol:

I came across this rather handsome fellow while out on a trail run last night. It was lying in the trail quite lethargically, attempting to find some warmth after a long thunderstorm. He ignored me, and I left him alone.
View attachment 349139
@Fishmanic can I enter this cute little guy in pet of the month? I think he'd win hands-down. Make that belly scales down?

@Fishmanic can I enter this cute little guy in pet of the month? I think he'd win hands-down. Make that belly scales down?
if he lives in you household and you provide all the care it needs, then yes, you could enter it.

I wonder if I could enter the enormous invasive spiders from my daughter's basement in Pet of the Month? Half their charm is their accent as they yell back and forth about "getting enough trainers for all their feet" and "finding jumpers with enough armholes". I don't know what these jumpers and trainers are, but these British immigrant spiders seem to.

I know they're unorthodox pets, but they do seem to have fur.

Most reactions

Back