Water Changes Could Soon Be Out Of The Question...

It is true that it has been a dry winter in the south of England, but there is a big gap between a hosepipe ban (we've had those before) and actually queuing at a standpipe.

At a pinch, I would change my tankwater and stop washing the family! Let them smell!

Some sort of rationing might not be a bad idea- coming from Sweden, where there are few people and lots of big lakes, I still can't get over how wasteful the English are.

Not all english people are wasteful, its a bit of a generalisation there.

Just out of curiosity, could you take water out a tank, put it through an RO unit and then put it back in again?

as i understand reverse osmosis it uses vast amounts of water to create one gallon of ro you would also be lacking in certain trace elements if you reused tank water through ro unit.

It also depends on where you are and how good your water company is.

East Anglia is the driest area of the UK, yet has had only like 1 hose ban in 15 years (and that was around 15 years ago). Mostly it's down to the water companies handling stock well.

A huge amount of water is lost each day due to mains pipes leaking, yet the water companies never seem that bothered about stopping this.

Lets face it the water companies are just greedy! They are more bothered about their profit margins than ensuring that water isnt lost through leaky pipes! They would sooner bump up the water prices than fix a leak!

Not all english people are wasteful, its a bit of a generalisation there.

[/quote]

Yes of course it is, I am sure there are good people around! Just not around where I live :lol:

Water shortage's? Obviously they havent been around to my house and seen how full my reservoirs, sorry i mean tanks are :p

:lol:

Simple thing is, build more reservoirs, it may cost alot of money to build them but put it this way, if there is a water shortage the water companies have very little water to sell to use thus losing profit, if they have more reservoirs collecting more rainwater they will have more water to sell to us, reducing the chance of hosepipe bans and such meaning we would use water as normal, maximising their profits.

These water companies clearly dont think it through :grr:

:lol:

I still don't understand why a rather small island constantly has a water problem. You'd have thought by now they'd have worked out how to desalinate sea water and clean that for us.

I also thought they cleaned the waste water we make and put it back in to circulation - they say every glass of water in London has been through at least 7 other people before you drink it :sick: so where is it all going? Surely a country that has like 2 hours sunshine a year can't be evaporating that quickly.

The reason we don't treat, clean and use seawater is because of the cost. And here we go to profit margins again. :rolleyes: And most companies simply do not repair/replace their ancient pipes like they should and a great deal of the water simply never reaches us and is wasted. If the management stopped sitting on their fat paycheques and put some of it to good use for a change there'd be a great deal more water available to all. I shall not compromise the health and wellbeing of my fish for those people. As it is I am careful with water. We share our bath water, only do full loads for washing, the tank water is the same water I feed to garden with and so on. And no way do I want to be on a meter! Those things are stupendously expensive. Even my grandparents, who have no fish and no pets, a tiny garden and are meticulous about water useage find them costly. Most normal households would have their bank accounts broken if they were made compulsory.
Hugs,
P.

Ya know.. when I read this thread this was the first I had heard of the maybe hose pipe bans NOW its all over the radio....

Hmm, there is a lot of speculation in this thread, from people looking at this with a very simplistic and unrealistic view of the water industry.

You can take the following as fact:

The water companies take very seriously the issues that have been raised here. Desalination is by no means out of the question, medium term.

The water companies in the UK are heavily regulated by OFWAT, and are penalised for wastefulness. No such regulation exists for the consumer.

Everyone wants new pipes, but no-one wants to see their bills rise by the amount necessary to achieve this. The infrastructure is getting old so just treading water, excuse the pun, is pretty damn costly.

Rainfall has for the last few years been very low- this January was the driest in decades. Water restrictions are the sensible way to prolong supplies.

Even level 4 water restrictions aren't going to stop anyone from doing their water changes.

The average usage of water per head has increased over 15% in the last 20 years, and the population has grown too.

So you will see it's not a question of greed, supply is a complex issue involving many factors- currently all of which are contributing towards water shortages. Expect this to get worse not better in the coming decade BTW.

@suzie, the population density of the UK is 243 people per sq Km, the USA's is 30. That's a lot more rain per person required. But that's not the whole picture. To draw a parallel, why is it that in the USA, one of the biggest economies in the world with huge financial and natural resource, people in large population centers such as Florida, are content with regular and prolonged power shortages? It's a tough issue to get one's head around!

Well....sometimes power outages are nice. Get outta work or school, no electronics to mess with, just relax with a book. Unless it was that blackout that occurred in NYC a few years back...WHAT A MESS!

Most reactions

Back