Frequent fish deaths - advice needed!

So when I had to do this I actually contacted the manufacturer of the medication for advice, for the meds I used they recommended keeping the frogs out for a month, I think I stretched it to 6 weeks to be sure I'd done enough water changes to get rid of any remnants.

If your frog is a juvenile you could go up to feeding daily with a fast day once a week but see how he/she goes with every other day first, you can always increase if needed. Hopefully once you've got on top of the issues you can get him/her another friend as they do like company (I have a soft spot for them in case you can't tell haha).
OK thanks, I'll see what I can find. So I'll just need a little tank with a heater for the frog?

Yeah I started off with 3 as I love the frogs too and they're a particular hit with the kids! The one in the tank is the last one remaining from the originals (about 5 months ago I got them). I did get another one from more general pet store but it was the last one there and it didn't last long at all unfortunately. I'm worried about previous ones having Chytrid. Any advice on avoiding this in the future? I've read that most of the time they're not tested for the fungus before going on sale etc

Thanks.

So in the filter there are 2 foam sponges, 2 carbon pads and bio media. I wash the sponges in tank water once a month and replace the carbon pads monthly, but 1 at a time. The bio media (the white rock things) I have only replaced 50% of after 6 months.

I do use the test strips so I will definitely look to get that API master test kit
That's great you're washing them, it's a big mistake that some fish keepers make.

You don't need the carbon pads, unless you have toxins in the tank or you stopped dosing medication. If you will be dosing any meds, take the carbon out as it will hinder the treatment process.

OK thanks, I'll see what I can find. So I'll just need a little tank with a heater for the frog?

Yeah I started off with 3 as I love the frogs too and they're a particular hit with the kids! The one in the tank is the last one remaining from the originals (about 5 months ago I got them). I did get another one from more general pet store but it was the last one there and it didn't last long at all unfortunately. I'm worried about previous ones having Chytrid. Any advice on avoiding this in the future? I've read that most of the time they're not tested for the fungus before going on sale etc
Depending on your room temp you will probably need a heater (especially at this time of year!). I have found in recent months that the frogs I've had have been more sickly compared to previous ones. Not sure if it's a wider issue or if I've just been unlucky. Never had to deal with chytrid fortunately but it may be worth keeping some medication on hand in case its needed.

Most reactions

Back