Typical Discus

angelmouse

Fish Herder
Reaction score
my discus looked bored, unhappy and unproductive in their breeding tank so i gave up and put them back in the community, 2 days later bingo (eggs) isn't that just typical, they will now end up as lunch.
disc068.jpg

disc089.jpg

this is my cory, do they eat eggs?
disc036.jpg

fingers crossed Angel

lol, typical! im sure theyll get to be better parents!,

get a divider, and divide that part of the tank of from all your other fish.

tht should do the job!

NIce discuss u got very beautiful.

NIce discuss u got very beautiful.

verry smart, i cant even keep Discus alive let alown breed the things :drool:

Eggs were gone this morning, they keep the other fish away but i it was the bristlenose again, he sneaks round the back of the wood they lay their eggs on and they can't shift him. Time for a rethink, i might remove some of the offending fish to another tank and get that divider in, not sure why they don't like the breeding tank,waters the same? but they seem to breed every 6 days straight after a water change in main tank, maybe i should have been abit more patient with breeding tank but i don't like to see them unhappy.
Angel

Perhaps they like the dithers in the community tank and the genereal layout?

Perhaps they like the dithers in the community tank and the genereal layout?

mmmm are they by themselves in the breeding tank, perhaps just put them with a small shoal of tetr's or something and you can remove them as soon as the discus lay eggs

Good idea with the dither fish/tetras. I am away in august and havent anyone that would feed babys several times a day so i might raise the ph a little to see if it will stop them breeding for a while, as i read somewhere(don't know if it is true?) that they stop growing whilst breeding as they put all there energy into it and i would really like them to grow till their max. so i will do plenty of water changes and fattening up and give it a proper go in their breeding tank then.
They will probably have other ideas though :lol:
Thanks for good advice
Angel

so i might raise the ph a little to see if it will stop them breeding for a while

You sure that pH is the answer? Wouldn't raising the hardness slightly stop them more?

as i read somewhere(don't know if it is true?) that they stop growing whilst breeding as they put all there energy into it

Ive heard of that before. I believe it, it makes sense.

i might raise the ph a little to see if it will stop them breeding for a while

personally i wouldnt tamper with the pH in any tanks really unless really vital, i certainly wouldnt with discus.

i read somewhere(don't know if it is true?) that they stop growing whilst breeding as they put all there energy into it and i would really like them to grow till their max. so i will do plenty of water changes and fattening up and give it a proper go in their breeding tank then.
They will probably have other ideas though :lol:
Thanks for good advice
Angel

I think thats true, too.The breeder I bought mine of said that (because mine laid eggs, phoned him up and he said it's not good for them when they a young).I think it's possible that your discus were just stressed and suprised of being moved and there new surroundings.I would definetely try and have another go at breeding them in the other tank :good:

i did think about moving the wood along with parents into breeding tank, worth a try, i might do that next time,dont know how it would affect eggs?
Angel

I think the eggs would be fine.Correct me if I am rong anyone, but if the water is the same and they are quickly put in there I should think they would be ok!

Yup, the eggs would be fine out of the water for a bit. I moved rainbowfish eggs a while ago and they were absolutely fine. Do discus fry NEED their parents to survive or would they do just fine on their own?

Most reactions

Back