Tyler's 29Gal. Tank Project!

What all params did you test at the time? How did the pH and KH sit? It does sound very contaminant-like. Was anything else unusual used in the house? Any sprays/aerosols used or brought by anybody? It's also not impossible that someone could have put a hand in there that had bad stuff on it (various skin care products, soap, etc.). But, it won't be the being up late part; I have a hard time keeping my tanks on a strict schedule as most don't have timers, but nobody has kicked the bucket yet from me sleeping in by accident or staying up late.

Are you running carbon on the tank? It's a good idea to run a fresh batch in the event of a mysterious event like this, even with big water changes, just to make sure you scrub the water as much as possible.

EDIT: man I just can't seem to post properly today. I'm editing everything right after I hit the darned button because I forgot half of what I was going to say! Anyway, the reason I ask about the params in more details is that if you're not sure if it was something spilled in, you really want to try to eliminate other environmental possibilities like atmospheric contaminants to minimize the chance that it happens again randomly at some other time. There's also the unlikely but still possible "nudi nuke" and "cuc nuke" types of events with toxic hitchhikers dying that can give a mysterious tank crash that only affects certain animals but not others, although the events of that nature that I've seen gave very unique test kit readings (e.g. some tests just turned funky, nonsensical colors).

I never let anyone else put their hand in the tank but me. I always make sure my hand is clean, and I do not use skin care products of any kind. One girl put her finger on the surface to see if the fish would bite her lol, but it was like 2 seconds...

I really only put my hand in the tank to flip snails or feed the duncan, so hand in maybe 10 seconds every other day? This is definitely going to be a hard one to figure out, but I will take no chances in letting it happen again. I think it is time to build the hood for my tank... With the ammonia im sure through the roof right now I will start the whole thing fresh tomorrow like mentioned. I will run carbon on the tank tomorrow to help scrub the water, after its filled back up. I am thinking I will wait a month before I put any fish back in.

Tests... I do not have a KH kit and I feel dumb for it. When I test it at the LFS it is always "A OK".

Yesterdays parameters:

pH = 8.1
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm
Salinity 1.025 on the refractometer. I get premixed water from the LFS, same place all the time.

This is what bugs me... It happened SO SO fast so I really believe it happened from a contaminant last night. Last water change was last Wednesday, done the same way as always, nothing different.
It is also possible someone put their hand in, I did not have my eyes on the tank the entire time.

-Tyler

Oh no!!!

I spend the day moving planted topics for the section's expansion and I see this topic.

I'm gutted for you, Tyler.

Really gutted. I've had toddlers pour entire containers of fish food into high tech planted tanks, nuking everything, so I feel it. A crashed tank is my worst marine night mare.

L

I will rebuild. I really like this hobby, and I know I am well and capable to handle it. It gives me a chance to change things as well.

I want to pass up on a clown goby this time cuz id like to have a couple small sps in the tank, and the clown goby's tend to rest on em and make dead spots I hear. I will have no chromis in the tank. I'd still like to have clowns again in the future though. I will do some thinking about the fish list and give you a rundown of what we lastly decide on and get some input from you guys and gals.

It has been a learning experience for sure. I will be building a closed hood (open in the back) with fans which will keep any hands/drinks from getting in.

I hate walking into our dining room right now, the tank looks terrible.

UPDATE 1/2/2012:

The tank has cleared and looks to have stabilized. Corals are happy and snails etc are moving around as normally now. I will still be doing a big water change and rinsing rocks off today. Gonna be a "fun" day. I will take some pictures =/ not near as nice as the last batch ugh.

-Tyler

I decided I will wait a month before any fish go back in the tank as long as levels hold true...

This is my new proposed stocking list....

(2) Black Occ Clowns
(1) Six Line Wrasse
(1) Royal Gramma
(1) Smaller Watchman Goby w/Pistol Shrimp
(1) Cleaner Shrimp (so sad about this one, was our first guy besides snails, was cool to watch him molt)

I like several of the dwarf angelfish, but worry they may pick at things. I need to make a final coral list...

Corals List

(1) Duncan (hopefully survives all of this)
(1) Xenia (looks great still)
(2) Varieties of Mushies (Still looking good)
(1) Toadstool for the Clowns
(3-5) Varieties of Zoanthids

Oh and maybe a couple SPS =) I like many, but dunno what I like yet lol.

What do you think?

I decided I will wait a month before any fish go back in the tank as long as levels hold true...

This is my new proposed stocking list....

(2) Black Occ Clowns
(1) Six Line Wrasse
(1) Royal Gramma
(1) Smaller Watchman Goby w/Pistol Shrimp
(1) Cleaner Shrimp (so sad about this one, was our first guy besides snails, was cool to watch him molt)

I like several of the dwarf angelfish, but worry they may pick at things. I need to make a final coral list...

Corals List

(1) Duncan (hopefully survives all of this)
(1) Xenia (looks great still)
(2) Varieties of Mushies (Still looking good)
(1) Toadstool for the Clowns
(3-5) Varieties of Zoanthids

Oh and maybe a couple SPS =) I like many, but dunno what I like yet lol.

What do you think?

I like the choices personally, but... the order, IMO, shoud be

cleaner shrimp
watchman/pistol
clowns
gramma
wrasse - and the wrasse may still be a total butthead. Wrasses are funny, so are grammas, but not as funny as wrasses, from what I've heard, I love my gramma. He's a good little boy, or girl...

If you went sps? I like a montipora cap, but that's just me. I don't much see the fuss with acropora, but that's just me too. Cat's paw are too cool, but hard.

All this sps talk is a long way off though, like 6 months of stability to a year. That's without people putting drinks in your tank. I still can't believe people did that in a party. Oh man, you are soooo nice, I would've killed me some friends if they did that to my tank.

holy Gutted tyler... as you may have seen ive had tanks pretty much destroy themselves overnight... and i know all about waiting to put things in as well... like you said though definitely gives you an opportunity to re-think the tank... It seems that everyone agrees that someone gave your fish a drink.. and i have to agree espescially if you Zoanthids are looking better, lots of people use alchohol as a carbon source something that zoathids love.. i personally use buffered vitamin c... that said using the alcohol has a serious risk of OD.. so yeah that's my 2 cents.

As for the stock list.. Looks pretty good.. i miss my black OC clowns... they were awesome.... wish i knew what did them in.... anyway.. have fun with the rebuild and keep us posted.

Thanks for the kind words! :nod:

I COMPLETELY DRAINED my tank today. Right down to the sand (after taking snails etc out of course). I siphoned all the water to a storage container (which the LR went into) while the new water was going in. I didn't have quite enough to fill all the way back up cuz I don't have enough containers, but I will fill it all the way up tomorrow!

I re-acclimated everyone back in, hope everyone is happy. Here is a current FTS... Still might move some rocks, but I can not really see it very well yet! lol. Like the new scape? Haha. I will update with a new pic after it clears.

PICT0030.jpg

-Tyler

From what I can see, it looks actually pretty interesting. It's a really different scape than what you have before.

Looking forward to the cleared up pictures.

Well, here it is! The corals finally comfortable enough to be themselves again, and the hermits n snails are cruising the tank. I will need to glue some rocks in place if this land scape grows on me. Hope you all like it.

Also included a further back FTS showing the light setup. I had to rig it up cuz I really needed a 30". I plan on painting the wood black upon getting a non-toxic eco friendly paint.

PICT0033.jpg

PICT0032.jpg

-Tyler

PS. I just wanna say when draining, it really smelled EXACTLY like the ocean when the air exposed the sand. Totally cool. It reminded me of when I lived in Oregon. I sure miss the LOOONNGG beaches there. So pretty.

GET OUT! You lived in Oregon? Where? I lived in Vancouver, WA for 13 years. I've been to Newport, Oregon, loved it.

:D

Ok, back to the tank. I kind of like the new scape. Interesting.

Glad things are rebounding.

L

GET OUT! You lived in Oregon? Where? I lived in Vancouver, WA for 13 years. I've been to Newport, Oregon, loved it.

:D

Ok, back to the tank. I kind of like the new scape. Interesting.

Glad things are rebounding.

L

I was born in The Dalles. Near Hood River =) Lived there until about 8years old. Oh the Red Mushies will NOT be going there. That rock I just haven't placed yet =)

Hehehe, cool. That's beautiful country.

L

I will run a FULL set of tests today! I also need to take a paper towel to the inside of the front glass pane as well. It has gotten dirty. I will do a water change tomorrow, but want to see where things lie with just the tank running on its own. I will post the results up tonight.

The duncan is looking great and eating again though! Zoas, Xenia and Mushrooms are all looking good as well. If everything continues well, I will get the new cleaner shrimp the first or second week in February!

-Tyler

UPDATE:

Ammonia: .25ppm (I expected this after a bunch of stuff died...)
pH: 8.3
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 0ppm
Salinity: 1.024
Water Temp: 80F (turned it down to get back to 78/79)

Need some help... My glass gets dirty in a couple days... Just covered in junk. I have to scrub it constantly now. Any ideas on what might be goin on? Also these stupid white sponges are starting to grow all over in the tank. I don't want them! I will get more snails, as I know I am short on them, but the glass never got this dirty this fast.

Duncan growing new head!

-Tyler

Most reactions

Back