Tyler's 29Gal. Tank Project!

I'm excited for you. Remember to pace yourself & be up on your maintenance, but I know you will be.

Look forward to the pictures.

L

I'm excited for you. Remember to pace yourself & be up on your maintenance, but I know you will be.

L

The good news is my wallet wont let me go much faster, lol. It has been 3 weeks since any additions. My salinity has been quite stable =) and the temperature 79F. Still doing 5Gal water changes once a week. I just changed the filter last week also. No problems with nitrates. I need to do a PHtest today but its always been about 8.2, it really hasn't moved in a while, =).

L

The good news is my wallet wont let me go much faster, lol. It has been 3 weeks since any additions. My salinity has been quite stable =) and the temperature 79F. Still doing 5Gal water changes once a week. I just changed the filter last week also. No problems with nitrates. I need to do a PHtest today but its always been about 8.2, it really hasn't moved in a while, =).

This is good. :) Keep up the good work. :good:

Wallets are terrible, no? They never seem to have anything in them.

L

Here are the pictures as promised! The new Duncan frag. Its small, but will eventually grow so big. I need to get some mysis shrimp to feed him a couple times a week too.

PICT0008.jpg
PICT0007.jpg

Oh I also have two new baby red mushrooms that have now started growing underneath the big one!

Here are the pictures as promised! The new Duncan frag. Its small, but will eventually grow so big. I need to get some mysis shrimp to feed him a couple times a week too.

PICT0008.jpg
PICT0007.jpg

Oh I also have two new baby red mushrooms that have now started growing underneath the big one!

Awwww, what a cute little duncan frag. Baby mushrooms are always fun. I've got a few in the little tanks. My black sun also has new polyps and my zoas are spreading in the 8g

That duncan really is cute. I saw them in my LFS today. It doesn't interest me, but it's pretty.

thats the same type of duncan i have. i bought it as a 3 headed frag when i first set up nearly 2 years ago. it didnt really do anything for the first 6+ months then all of a sudden it sprouted around 20 small heads from around the base of the other 3. i feed it mysis and crab cuisine every few days.

your tanks coming along nicely :)

Here is a much better picture now that the Duncan has settled into the tank. Hope you like it.

PICT0009.jpg

-Tyler

You can also feed Duncans small marine pellets of the size that a 1-2" fish would eat. Bigger pellets might be eaten, but tend to be spat back out after only a few minutes. I rarely feed my Duncans actual meaty foods because it all just tends to blow away while the coral is trying to close up on it. The pellets stay put though and polyps growing sideways can be trained to make a cup shape with their lower tentacles to catch the pellets when they smell the other polyps being fed and/or when they are lightly touched on the disk with the feeding mechanism (I use a turkey baster).

Awesome. I tried to feed mine the meaty food, and hold it there, BUT my cleaner shrimp was grabbing it all! I need to keep him distracted on the other side of the tank. I do have pellets that I got for the fish, however the fish won't eat them, only the shrimp does. I am not sure how to train fish to eat pellets, but it sure it easier than frozen foods. I will try some pellets this evening and see if he likes them. Thanks for the tip.

-Tyler

So,

Give me your opinion.. I like leathers.. I want one for my future clowns, BUT I reallllly like the Haddon's Blue Carpet... Too big for my tank? Or manageable?

Link Here

Toadstool leather would be easier for sure. Just looking for input here. Maybe I wait a year?

-Tyler

So,

Give me your opinion.. I like leathers.. I want one for my future clowns, BUT I reallllly like the Haddon's Blue Carpet... Too big for my tank? Or manageable?

Link Here

Toadstool leather would be easier for sure. Just looking for input here. Maybe I wait a year?

-Tyler

No on the Haddon's, IMO, too big, you can't have anything for a 12" diameter, that sucks, IMO. Haha, I like being able to fill ma tank up with da corals!!!

When you're a little farther down the coral road, get the toadstool, similar look, less worry. :)

Go with the Toadstool leather.

Will go with a toadstool in a couple months here then. I have been about 4 days past my weekly water change =/ I will get that done tonight. And will be doing about 45% as ALW mentioned it will help with that cyano. I am thinking hard about getting my pair of clowns. I reallly want to get them sometime here soon. I have been eying the black variety, but so pricey. The tank has been great, and I have not lost any inhabitants, (except a few snails early on), and I feel the tank does well.
I am on the other hand thinking about getting the HOB filter OFF my tank and getting a powerhead to replace it. It collects junk and gets gross in only a week. My live rock is teaming with life and corraline which is looking really quite pretty and should do well cleaning the system now. I am also lacking a protein skimmer. I know a lot of people are good with 25% water changes to combat this.

I am thinking I will up my water change % to 25% each week, get my powerhead in and the canister filter off and get a pair of orange clowns. Thoughts?

Will go with a toadstool in a couple months here then. I have been about 4 days past my weekly water change =/ I will get that done tonight. And will be doing about 45% as ALW mentioned it will help with that cyano. I am thinking hard about getting my pair of clowns. I reallly want to get them sometime here soon. I have been eying the black variety, but so pricey. The tank has been great, and I have not lost any inhabitants, (except a few snails early on), and I feel the tank does well.
I am on the other hand thinking about getting the HOB filter OFF my tank and getting a powerhead to replace it. It collects junk and gets gross in only a week. My live rock is teaming with life and corraline which is looking really quite pretty and should do well cleaning the system now. I am also lacking a protein skimmer. I know a lot of people are good with 25% water changes to combat this.

I am thinking I will up my water change % to 25% each week, get my powerhead in and the canister filter off and get a pair of orange clowns. Thoughts?

I don't use a skimmer in my 36g, but it's a planted Marine (nutrient export in spades) and coral wise, I don't have much, just ricordea florida and will eventually have some easy palys and zoanthids. I do about 10g every week, but we all know that just because my tank is a 36g, doesn't mean I have 36g of water in it.

I don't skim any of my tanks, my picos get very large water changes 2x a week.

I don't dislike HOBs, they can create some nice flow. I use them in my picos, but I convert them into refugiums. Canister filters, on the other hand, I've never used, either for FW or Marine. Too much gunk, IMO.

But I don't know, I also tend to not do what everybody else does and it somehow works really well for me. I was the same way when I did planted tanks.

If I were you, I would do what you're proposing no problem, but see what others say first as I'm rather unorthodox with my reef-keeping.

L

Well, I got the water change done! lol. Next step buy another powerhead.

-Tyler

Most reactions

Back