The Most Overstocked Tank On Fleabay?

Well, at least he knows that... Hopefully he can find a suitable spot for them. There should be a BIG sign on the fish tanks for the tankbusters. In the fish store they are all about the same size. A newbie who does no research wouldn't know that some grow to massive proportions, and then there is that myth about a fish growing to the size of its tank, and the display tanks the fish are kept in are deceptive. They look really small, but the volume of water that's unseen is much larger.

That's one area I think Maidenhead aquatics do really well at - certainly the two near me are always well labelled including adult size of the fish.

I have other very good LFS with basically no labels - their fish are excellent quality and they have some rare and unusual fish but you have to either be clued up on your fish or quiz the shopkeeper on every species your interested in - something many begginers don't feel comfortable doing.

Agreed. My local Petsmarts have the adult sizes on the labels, but they are REALLY small. Unless you look closely for it, you won't see it.

It should also label whether it is suitable for community tanks, or if it is an aggressive species - also If it is a shoaling species, or can be kept alone.

I don't know why most LFS don't make this type of information more obvious. Some do have the little pamphlets, but what good are they really? Most people don't even know they are there.

I hate seeing things like this, i once saw a 40l tank locally for sale that had a Gold Sev, Oscar and a common pleco in it, i would have bought it and sought the fish better homes but they was asking something crazy like £150 for the setup so i politely emailed them to let them know about the fish and size being quite polite and got a 2 word email back saying F*** off.

Recently the misses has been watching some stupid reality tv programs and other crud and you see parents buying kids fish tanks/bowls and then stocking with incompatible fish witout cycling a tank then for the fish to die a day later and then for them to go back and buy the same fish over and over again to the same fish store, I understand it is a business but people who work at the local fish stores should really try to educate and have facts about the fish in leighmens terms and possibly have a poster up of what is necessary to do when establishing a fish tank in big bold letters. It is really not all that hard to look after fish and it is very rewarding but what it does take is some commitment and willingness to learn and do some research especially before actually buying a tank and any fish.

Asda is selling tiny goldfish bowls for £6. I saw loads of them when I was in a large store the other day. People will never understand that fish need more space when they see products like this so cheaply and abundantly available.
5000239397990_21000_IDShot_2.jpeg

think this tank might have gave it a run for its money!!

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4ac04ff460

Although the fish aren't actually included, so in this instance perhaps they are getting the fish a bigger tank, not trying to pass them on to some poor newbie who will end up with dead fish or else needing to quickly upgrade from their tiny arty tank which could be popped on any sideboard to a monster aquarium which takes up most of their living space!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back