The Most Overstocked Tank On Fleabay?

My lps and lfs sell fish for the size they are now, not how big they grow. And now my dad has banned any more large fish tanks, so I dread to think what will happen to my sisters goldfish (they are currently quite small and live in a 36 litre). Even my other sisters bigger goldfish only live in a 160litre.

Edit: I see they have relisted it after getting no bids but without the fish, not sure whether to be worried or not.......

There were actually two bids on it. Looks like the seller withdrew.

Lets just hope they have, like star4 said, received some complaints and rehomed the fish.

I dont even really want to think of what they did with them.

That is what i was thinking. My faith in humanity dies just a little more every day so although i like to think they did something good for the fish i have a feeling they have probably just returned them to the shop that will now go on to sell them again to people incapable of caring for the fish or not informed enough to care for them. I also have a feeling they have gotten rid of the fish because they think they will get more offers/bids on the tank.

It is a bad thing that Ebay allows the sale of fully stocked tanks, individual fish yes, but complete set ups like this are just wrong. Most likely the seller had a few rather strong e-mails and hopefully he/she just took all the fish to a local shop and left them there, I say hopefully because keeping those fish in that tiny tank, I dont even really want to think of what they did with them.

I tend to agree, but i just bought one and I got a bargain and (hopefully) the seller is assured i will take care of his fish. BUT i could have been any nutjob...and he would have had to have me in his house emptying the tank for almost two hours, but that is the risk you take i guess!

Edit: I see they have relisted it after getting no bids but without the fish, not sure whether to be worried or not.......

There were actually two bids on it. Looks like the seller withdrew.

Lets just hope they have, like star4 said, received some complaints and rehomed the fish.

I dont even really want to think of what they did with them.

That is what i was thinking. My faith in humanity dies just a little more every day so although i like to think they did something good for the fish i have a feeling they have probably just returned them to the shop that will now go on to sell them again to people incapable of caring for the fish or not informed enough to care for them. I also have a feeling they have gotten rid of the fish because they think they will get more offers/bids on the tank.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Biorb-Life-45-aquarium-intelligent-heater-Full-set-up-/181059321517?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item2a27f9fead

Yep, now selling it empty. Maybe he flushed them down the loo!

Nooo, not flush, how sad...my lfs asks me every time what size tank I have for the fish I am buying, and also how many fish are already in the tank. They know my tanks and their sizes and what and about how many fish I own. If they don't like my answer or feel the fish may go into an over crowded tank, they don't sell to anyone. They even write the tank size on every reciept. This way if the fish friend dies, overcrowding can be noticed, plus the water sample=no refund or replacement. Smart fish store, they care.
smartass.gif

Anyone have an Ebay account? Can you send them a message somehow? Just to ask what they did with the fish. Not counting on the truth, but I'd like it see they're answer. It's not letting me make an account.

Twofish that is a good idea! All fish stores should do that! :)

Twofish that is a good idea! All fish stores should do that!
smile.png

A lot do but forcing employees to get customers to fill a form does not make them care unfortunately. I know of shops that get people to fill out forms but they still give out the usual bad advice as the employees know no better.

I noticed with dismay today that my lfs has started to sell tiger shovelnoses, there were about six in a small tank (probably 40l) with four baby oscars. Now I know that is only a short term measure and the whole thing is massively over filtered etc, but what about the noob off the street who comes in and buys one of each for his bi-orb 45??? There was nothing to suggest that either would grow bigger, maybe if I had enquired they would have told me they are both MONSTER fish but I doubt it...

Here's the list of fish for that tank.
crazy.gif

1 Bala Shark (2 inches)

1 Red Tail Black Shark (2 inches)

2 Angel Fish

1 Clown Loach

1 Leopard Bush Fish - very interesting fish.

1 Pearl Gourami

1 Pleco - its a common Pleco but with really good colouring and markings.

1 Oscar Fish - this fish is big! (about 6 inches) so will need a bigger tank soon as it grows fast. He's a very playful fish (when he wants to be)

Now he's going to have a marine tank? Not good. Not a single fish is appropriate for that tank.

I would hope the seller has a bigger tank that they wanted free of freshwater fish for the marine project, so they tried to sell the small fish tank unsuitable modern bit of furniture full of their existing fish, raising money for the marine stuff and freeing their main tank at the same time.

Anyone have an Ebay account? Can you send them a message somehow? Just to ask what they did with the fish. Not counting on the truth, but I'd like it see they're answer. It's not letting me make an account.

Done. Will let everyone know when/if I get an answer.

Seller still has the fish. I am asking him how much he'd sell the oscar for, as I didn't think I could fit one in a tank that size.

Ooh, go lock man! I wonder what size tank he has moved them to?

THe seller has come back to me, gawd know what he did with his fish when he broke the tank down, perhaps he has already bought the tank he is going to go marine with, and put them in there. I enquired about the oscar, and said that I didn't think that one would fit in a tank that size, as they grow to 15".

He said that he didn't realise this when he first bought the baby, so I asked if I thought I ought to put one in my Bi-orb Life. He said it probably wasn't a good idea, but if I wanted any of the other fish, get back to him. So I've asked him what size the common plec grows to.

He's admitted that all of his fish, with the exception of the Leopard Bush FIsh and the Gourami grow massive. I've left it there.

Most reactions

Back