Tank Equipment - Lighting Help At The Moment!

Thanks for the info!! I will take all this into consideration when the time comes. Thanks!

One question regarding my filter: Im using Substrat Pro filter media (see further up the page) at the moment for my freshwater. Is it ok to rinse this out and then use it for the saltwater setup??

Thanks

no, you would be better getting new filter media.

I too prefer blue over black for marines, but some black background tanks are v. nice looking.

I have literally just finished painting my tank (i still have paint on my hands).
I have been researching this and it seems that oil based paints could potentially damage the silicon and cause a catastophe in 6 months time.
Because of this I went for a dulux matt emulsion from b&q - a 250ml tester pot did the job for very little money.
I applied it with the b&q value mini-roller.
It doesn't matter if it looks a bit scrappy on the outside - no-one is looking at that side of the tank, the inside will look completely smooth regardless.
I am very happy with the finish I have got - the colour I went for was sapphire springs 3.

[/quote]

I am very happy with the finish I have got - the colour I went for was sapphire springs 3.
[/quote]

Just been on the paint dulux website. Very nice shade!!! I think you've just changed my mind!

ok, here's a couple of quick pictures.
the trim needs cleaned up a bit at the back still, not that anyone will see it.
the water in the tank is very murky, so the colour doesn't look as bright in the bottom half.

2-1.jpg

1.jpg

Very nice colour!!

You aint gonna believe this. I called in Focus today and bought the exact same colour!!!!! I had a look at the colour cards and thought that your taste in colour was an excellent choice!

Had a small tester tin made up for only £2! Got to get all the other bits and bobs now before I convert to saltwater. (I'll be painting the back of the tank in the process).

Anyone know (once set up) if it would be ok to keep a yellow tang in my tank? Dimensions and pic on page 2.

A 4ft tank should be ok for a tang, although 18" x 12" is a bit on the small side for the other parameters.

A 4ft tank should be ok for a tang, although 18" x 12" is a bit on the small side for the other parameters.

Would you reccomend one for the tank size or do you think it would become too stressed?

& Would someone take a look at ebay item 200153157916 and let me know what you think. Will this be up to the job?

seems very cheap for a refractometer?

I wouldn't recommend a tang in that size tank - they need space to swim.
Having said that it's perfectly possible to keep them in a small tank, just not ideal.

good luck with the painting - just be sure not to press hard on the second coat as I found the paint doesn't stick to the glass as well as you would like.
once it's on it's fine though.

Would you reccomend one for the tank size or do you think it would become too stressed?

& Would someone take a look at ebay item 200153157916 and let me know what you think. Will this be up to the job?

looks the same as my aqua medic one which was £50 go for it!

Thats expensive for a refractometer!!

I have linked to a very cheap perfectly fine refractometer on ebay in a previous post!!

I know at least 4 people who have bought from the same guy and have had them for around a year or slightly less, trouble free!!!

Refractometer £15.00 posted

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thats expensive for a refractometer!!

I have linked to a very cheap perfectly fine refractometer on ebay in a previous post!!

I know at least 4 people who have bought from the same guy and have had them for around a year or slightly less, trouble free!!!

Refractometer £15.00 posted

Very good price indeed!!! Know where to get mine from then! :hey:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Any ideas as to how many fish I will be able to keep? And what ones. I think it should be OK for 2 clowns. Do you think I should stick to 4 fish max with the tank i've got? (By that I dont mean 4 clowns!)

Alex

That refractometer has ATC which is very useful too!!

I reckon you could keep around 5 - 6 fish maybe a bit more?

I would go for a

flame angel

lg_66284.jpg

A fairy wrasse (I have just lost one :( )

lg_89174.jpg

Maybe some anthia's

lg_69924.jpg

Firefish ? need a lid for these tho! they jump when startled!

lg_71146.jpg

Jawfish but you'll need a 5-7 inch DSB for him?

lg_71432.jpg

Some Chromis?? Pictures cannot do these little beauty's justice, I'd keep 3 or 5 of these make it fair for them

lg_70197.jpg

I just thought these would give you a good idea!!

what you reckon?

That refractometer has ATC which is very useful too!!

I just thought these would give you a good idea!!

what you reckon?

I just bought that refractometer!

Looking at those pics is getting me exited now!

I didn't realise that I could keep as many as you said. I am really looking forward now.

Love the firefish :drool:

Yeah, people only tend to keep one flame angel though.... cos their like £60 a throw lol.

Most reactions

Back