Starting A New Tank

Hmmm...I can see all his points of view and as an 'old timer' myself I've certainly cycled tanks like that myself and know many people who still do.

However (and they're big 'howevers ;))...

...you need to do a lot of testing, learn how to read the test results, and understand what the tests are telling you. This shouldn't really be necessary when cycling with fish
Learning to test your water regularly is one of the most important skills in fishkeeping and is something every fishkeeper should be able to do, IMHO. Testing is easier and less stressful than the water changes a fish-in cycle entails.

On top of all this, if you are cycling with fish and keeping up with the water changes, the fish will indicate stress to you much sooner than you'd read it on a test kit - and they'll actually indicate stress to you, rather than a test that says that there may be a stressful level of ammonia or nitrite in the water
I personally think that is utter rubbish. To expect a novice fishkeeper to read and understand signs of stress in fish is terribly unfair and if they get it wrong, it's too late for the poor fishies :grr:

Cycling the tank with fish minimizes the work you need to do
Well, if you don't consider 50% daily water changes as 'work' compared to adding some ammonia and doing a couple of tests, then he may have a point...

Of course, it is perfectly possible to do a fish-in cycle and do it well and not lose any fish, but I'd still recommend fishless cycles.
As my 14 yo has just said, "thinking doing loads of water changes is more work than a few tests is just dumb" ;)

Hmmm...I can see all his points of view and as an 'old timer' myself I've certainly cycled tanks like that myself and know many people who still do.

However (and they're big 'howevers ;))...

...you need to do a lot of testing, learn how to read the test results, and understand what the tests are telling you. This shouldn't really be necessary when cycling with fish
Learning to test your water regularly is one of the most important skills in fishkeeping and is something every fishkeeper should be able to do, IMHO. Testing is easier and less stressful than the water changes a fish-in cycle entails.

On top of all this, if you are cycling with fish and keeping up with the water changes, the fish will indicate stress to you much sooner than you'd read it on a test kit - and they'll actually indicate stress to you, rather than a test that says that there may be a stressful level of ammonia or nitrite in the water
I personally think that is utter rubbish. To expect a novice fishkeeper to read and understand signs of stress in fish is terribly unfair and if they get it wrong, it's too late for the poor fishies :grr:

Cycling the tank with fish minimizes the work you need to do
Well, if you don't consider 50% daily water changes as 'work' compared to adding some ammonia and doing a couple of tests, then he may have a point...

Of course, it is perfectly possible to do a fish-in cycle and do it well and not lose any fish, but I'd still recommend fishless cycles.
As my 14 yo has just said, "thinking doing loads of water changes is more work than a few tests is just dumb" ;)

Thanks for replying fluttermoth. I have read a lot more sources putting the fishless cycle as the way to go but I was interested in seeing what a more experienced fishkeeper thought of the article. I've just placed the order- fair knock on the old bank account!

How much sand do you reckon you'd need for a 260 litre tank?

I have just finshed filling a similer sized tank (240l) i brought 3 20lb bags from sea pets (around £16 each for black tahitan moon sand) i have used 2 and a half bags and could have used less tbh. The half bag i have remaing will be good for topping up the sand i lose through maintainance

How much sand do you reckon you'd need for a 260 litre tank?

I have just finshed filling a similer sized tank (240l) i brought 3 20lb bags from sea pets (around £16 each for black tahitan moon sand) i have used 2 and a half bags and could have used less tbh. The half bag i have remaing will be good for topping up the sand i lose through maintainance

Cheers golfzzin, good to know.

Apologies for all the questions, I'll try not to ask too many more before I start cycling the tank (and then I can't promise anything!) If you're going to do a fishless cycle, at what point do you add plants?

Once you've had your qualifying week and before the fish go in. You can fishless cycle with plants, but it's easier not too :good:

Most reactions

Back