Show Off Your Tank!

It's easier then it all looks.

CSM+B for your micro. Thats the same thing as Seachem Flourish. It has iron and all of the trace elements.

Then KNO3 Potassium Nitrate
and KH2P04 MonoPotassium Phosphate For the macro {some people use Magnesium. {episom salts} not needed for hard water. These two would be the similar to buying Seachem Flourish Potassium and Seachem Flourish Phosphate.

So just three Ferts. ON my low light tank I dose the micro once a week and the macros once a week. Just mix the powder with water and toss it in. I did buy a scale on ebay for $6 to measure by grams. You can measure by teaspoon to make it simpler.

You should do the csm+b on a seperate day. The iron can react to the phosphates.

I had bought all of those seachem products first and it wasn't cheap. These powders will last up to a year and thats with my two large tanks. At $2 for some of them. Its just insane how much you save.

There are online calculators to show you how much to dose. I started really light and watch my plants...I am seeing some melting leaves on my swords so I am going to dose a little higher on the potassium nitrate this week and see if it stops.

I started out like a doof and learned all this in weeks. You can do it :good: :good:

That's it, you talked me into it. Apparently I have a lot of learning to do but the savings should make it worth it.

So what do I buy? I thought the plants get nitrate from the fish waste? Ammonia turned to nitrite turned to nitarte right? It seems weird to be adding something that you're supposed to be keeping low for the fishes' sake right?

It's the potassium that your after. But the plants take in the nitrate so it's good. You dose so much less for a lower light tank, I'm not seeing issues there. I'm still testing the nitrates, but after reading so much in the planted section, I'm not buying nitrate tests anymore. I test nitrates between 20-60 ppm...{guesswork} after dosing. Just ammonia for cycling.

Sorry, I was so impressed by the saved money. :lol: Turns out fish keeping on an Army soldiers budget, not getting us a lot.

I took the higher lighting back to original for my 46g because it cost so much and Seachem excel was melting my favorite plants. The lower lighting there is working better, but I still needed some kind of ferts. Higher tech needs a LOT of ferts in comparison. It is cheap for me either way and it's not any more work then dosing the liquids. Like I said above...just stir it in some water and throw it in. No worries on dechlorinator and always after a water change.

http://i1171.photobucket.com/albums/r560/dinsdale13/P1020495.jpg

If this works I'll be amazed.

Ahem, I'm not amazed.

P1020495.jpg

Alakazam!

so just each one once a week? Should I do less for a 17 watt, low planted tank? I've got say 4 or 5 amazon swords an anubias on driftwood and maybe 2 argentine swords. Also may buy some Brazilian pennywort and dwarf hairgrass.

You should do the csm+b on a seperate day. The iron can react to the phosphates.

I had bought all of those seachem products first and it wasn't cheap. These powders will last up to a year and thats with my two large tanks. At $2 for some of them. Its just insane how much you save.

There are online calculators to show you how much to dose. I started really light and watch my plants...I am seeing some melting leaves on my swords so I am going to dose a little higher on the potassium nitrate this week and see if it stops.

I started out like a doof and learned all this in weeks. You can do it :good: :good:

Im sad that this is freshwater show and tell only. The few people I've got to know a little bit around here frequent this thread. I don't really know anyone on the salty side. My wife has fired up her first tank and has a 16G with some green spotted puffers in it. Neat fish, and so far so good with that. Maybe she will let me show it off once she gets a little bit of work done on it. Cheers everyone!

Im sad that this is freshwater show and tell only. The few people I've got to know a little bit around here frequent this thread. I don't really know anyone on the salty side. My wife has fired up her first tank and has a 16G with some green spotted puffers in it. Neat fish, and so far so good with that. Maybe she will let me show it off once she gets a little bit of work done on it. Cheers everyone!

I thought your wife would be busy with other things right now.
A belated congratulations btw.

thanks dinsdale. Yep, she is quite busy these days. I'm thinking that the 16G will be easy enough for her to find the time to play with. If not, I guess I will be doing the maintenance on 'her' tank for 'her' green spotted puffers! ;)

:lol: She might appreciate the quiet fish tank time while you watch the baby. I always enjoy a few moments for my hobbies on weekends when my hubby is home.

Yep I enjoy my tanks, but I do all the work and god this filter is being really annoying right now!!!! I gotta fix it NOW!!!!

Yep I enjoy my tanks, but I do all the work and god this filter is being really annoying right now!!!! I gotta fix it NOW!!!!

Is that your Penguin 350? My Penguin 100 has been really noisy lately & it's ticking me off..............

Yeah it was the 350 I fixed it though. Now I just need to fix the cloudiness.

Is that your Penguin 350? My Penguin 100 has been really noisy lately & it's ticking me off..............

Most reactions

Back