Server Changes

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nice one. The server's now fixed and I think this topic can be unpinned now :) Should be plain sailing in the future.

About bloody time, :rolleyes:

Playing with ryan instead of working :p

William said:
As such it is time for it to move to a newer and more powerful server, in order to keep serving pages quickly for all of its users. :D

The new server, has four times as much cache (super fast memory) on the processor as the current one as well as being a considerably higher clockrate, and twice as much ram, and more than double the hard disk capacity.

william
William

I would like to know a little bit more about your servers.

What type are they?
What OS are you using?
What kind of load do the new ones handle?

What were your old ones?
What kind of load could the old one handle?

Are you co-located in someone elses datacenter?

Thanks

Monty
qcetech.com

monty671 said:
William said:
As such it is time for it to move to a newer and more powerful server, in order to keep serving pages quickly for all of its users. :D

The new server, has four times as much cache (super fast memory) on the processor as the current one as well as being a considerably higher clockrate, and twice as much ram, and more than double the hard disk capacity.

william
William

What type are they?
What OS are you using?

What were your old ones?

Thanks

Monty
qcetech.com
I can tell you all these things, but please first can I ask why? Obviously I'm not going to say what sort of load would kill the server, it'd be foolish to do so on a public forum. The reason has to be better than "just curious" or "just asking" if you want to know as well :)

Regards,
William

I can understand your hesitation.

I will be getting access to a local datacenter as payback for some work. They are giving me one rack and access to the Net.

A couple of the other forums that I am on are getting busy and are slowing down at the hosts they are at. To give something back, I would like to be able to host them myself. This would defray the costs that the current owners are paying.

However I need to figure out how much of a server(s) would be needed. I just dont want to go out and buy the biggest and find that most was just wasting away. As they say money doesn't grow on trees.

I figued since you have a high usage board you could give me an idea of how much server you found works. How much work load your SQL server gets.

I am considering one server for the board and a second server for the mySQL server. I would be interested in any ideas you have and problems that you have encountered.

If I am not asking to much and you do not want this public you could always reply privately.

Thanks

Monty
qcetech.com my play and test site.

monty671 said:
William said:

william
William

What type are they?
What OS are you using?

What were your old ones?

Thanks

Monty
qcetech.com
Monty:

Servers are P4/Xeon based 2.66GHz or quicker
1024MB or more DDR SDRAM
Hard disks configured in either Raid1 or Raid5
to provide redundancy incase of disk failure

Running FreeBSD 4-STABLE with Apache or Apache2, with mod_php.

and currently are collocated with Black Cat Networks in UK
- http://www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk

Previously were Celeron 2.0GHz/512MB RAM.

Loadwise, its difficult to say, as there's a lot of things which can max out a server in different ways.
Main issue with webhosting is going to disk IO, memory usage, and processor power.

Most reactions

Back