Rob's 3X2X2

hi rob

hows the scrolly been is it getting anybetter

rgds scott

Hi mate,

yeah its getting there, still not coloured back up yet (should be red), but is nice and big and expanded and is feeding very well. can't wait to get the new frag tank set up and get it in there under some proper lights (probably gonna go for T5s on the frag tank) as its just under a clip on white LED unit at the moment.

annoyingly i've had some salt water splash onto the red/blue grow LED array and the first few rows have died. should have thought about that really and waterproofed it! getting really good algae growth using it though!!

had a nightmare at the weekend.
whilst doing a water change i spilt some salted RO on to the driver unit for my vortech mp40w. didn't think much of it but then smelt fumes and then there was smoke!!! NOT GOOD!!!!
the unit was flashing red and the powerhead had stopped.

phoned round a load of places but nowhere had replacements in stock so i ended up going down to swm to buy a mp20 as a quick fix (i've no other powerheads in teh display so couldn't go without for too long!). have to say the mp20 is much better suited to my corals, flow is not so severe (much better for LPS). am still waiting to try the mp40w again. i'm hoping (probably in vain) that once it dries out it'll be ok and can be put to work in the new frag tank. we'll have to see!

Any updates rob
how’s things going with the scolly? and the frag tank have you got it set up yet?
did the mp40 come back to life once it was dried out?

nothing to report really, am in preparation for moving the tank. we moved house last weekend so just have the tank left to do.
Have sold a few items (mushies, xenia, some zoas, fish etc) to make the move slightly easier but its still gonna be a nightmare!

ordered a 100 gallon koi vat this morning to act as a go between for the water, rock and stock whilst i sort out the new plumbing.
as for the plumbing it arrived from coral culture yesterday so at least i can place it all out to make sure i have everything.
The electrician is due on monday/tuesday to put some sockets in, so will let him finish before i start drilling walls and putting pipes in.

managed to source a juwel rio 125 for £15 down in bristol so that is what will be my frag tank, and have ordered an arcadia 2x24w luminaire to sit over it.

its just gonna be a case of getting the tank stripped down and moved over then i can start putting it all back together again!

as for the mp40, i've not tried it yet. might try it out when i get the new koi vat and use it on there. with any luck it'll run but i won't hold my breath. i've already got a spare pump and heater for it anyway just in case.

Moved the scolly back into the main tank last night. i've now got the new KR 91 LED unit over the tank and got rid of the 400w halide, so we'll see how the scolly likes the new lighting. Its not got any of its red colouring back yet but hopefully being under proper lights rather than just the algae grow board should bring it back to its best! heres hoping anyway!!

the new light unit:
IMG_2134.jpg

FTS:
IMG_2128.jpg

under blues:
IMG_2137.jpg

cheers for the kind comments.

as regards the bi-colour, yes, unfortunately it has started to nibble my zoas hence why i am currently trying to sell it!!

real pain as it is a gorgeous fish.

Lovely tank! Good luck with the move, having moved in April this year I can feel your pain :)

Just out of curiosity where did you get the koi vat from and how much did it cost? I'm planning to strip my tank down for a complete rescape in the new year and would be easier if I had a kio vat to transfer everything in to.

depends on the size you're after. To cover my system i needed 100 gallons or so, so ended up getting mine from Clarendon koi through Ebay.
its around 4x2x2 and was £90 incl postage.

other option is to find a water storage tank supplier, but i found most of these weren't open top and again were expensive.

occasionally large koi vats will come up on the classifieds pages for less money but you never really know if they were used as QT with copper etc...

also check out your local LFS as sometimes they'll have some old vats lying around.
If you've good comms with your LFS they may even lend you one of their lily vats as they won't be needing them till the spring.

Congratulations on the house move Rob. :good:
it’s such a shame that you’re going to have to strip the tank down though as its looking so goooooooooood :drool: , but I guess it’s going to be the easiest way, if not the only way. so yep you’re going to have your hands full of the next few weeks with the new house and the tank + it must only be weeks away now to the baby is here so good luck with everything m8t, and I can’t wait to see the tank setup in it new position best regards john

P.S you will have to do a review on those new lights for us when you get settled in and you have time {they look the mutt’s bitts lol}

cheers mate. yeah its gonna be a busy few weeks now, (baby is due middle of January), frag tank arrived today, lights for it yesterday and all the plumbing on Monday.
last day at work on Friday so gonna have a look at it all over the weekend and try and drill the new frag tank. :crazy:
hopefully the koi vat will pitch up next week so i can move the stock over whilst the new plumbing is curing.

as regards the lights. yes they are the business (should be they cost enough!!!!!) will have to see how my corals get on when as you say its all set up properly in the new house.

Rob

You are a brave man, moving house, moving tank having a baby, is there no limits to your madness :p

And my goodness those new lights do look like the dogs dangly bits :blush: any chance of a review to add to the Lighting hardware of the month, when things have quietened down of course?

Seffie x

Most reactions

Back