Rip Bonnie The Pregnant Guppy

The time between drops on a guppy depend more on tank temperature during the gestation than anything else. At warm temperatures around 25 to 26C, the interval is usually about 4 weeks. If the tank has been around 22C instead, it could easily take 5 weeks. Warmer means faster growth and development which results in an earlier delivery.

It has been at around 26C for a while now, but i have had her for nearly 3 weeks now i think, but i cant really tell how long she had been before i got her

if she still hasn't dropped yet it could be that she has decided to reabsorb the fry and not give birth at all

i hope not =[ shes been showing signs of getting ready to give birth like hanging around the back of the filter
would she still look heavily pregnant if she has reabsorbed them?
would it take a futher 4 weeks for her to give birth?

I often see mention of a female reabsorbing fry but have never seen one do it. It is a common thing for an egg layer to reabsorb eggs when she doesn't breed but somehow I doubt it can happen with fry. I don't know that it is not possible but it just seems unlikely. The fry developing in a female are being held there for protection from environmental hazards, they do not receive their nourishment from the mother the way a mammal or a goodeid would.

I guess time will tell to see when she feels like giving birth!

I've turned up the temperature to about 79f so maybe that will help...

indeed i will!

its a 48l upgrading next week though!

ive just done a water change as it heard it might help things along

Wow I'm soo surprised. No babies yet? The new tank sounds great too.

if you just did a water change, would actually turn the temp down. This gives the impression to the fish that it is raining believe it or not. This is a very effective spawning trigger, one that I have had much success with my platies.

Wow I'm soo surprised. No babies yet? The new tank sounds great too.

I know same here, I'm becoming really impatient now!

if you just did a water change, would actually turn the temp down. This gives the impression to the fish that it is raining believe it or not. This is a very effective spawning trigger, one that I have had much success with my platies.

wow never heard that one, but it sounds pretty good ill give it a go!

Thanks!

haha i'm the same way! I'm waiting for my platy to drop too! Its any day now!

still no sign of the babies ad shes still moving around the tank quite a bit again
in fact my male molly is acting more pregnant than she is right now! [hes all depressed:(]

*sigh*

lol ino what he's thinking women! try to push the temperate abit more but not to fat like 0.5 degrees

Most reactions

Back