Ready For The Marine Challenge (again)!

Thx for the advice guys.

When setting up the sump, I changed plans:-

LH chamber => Inlet & heater (only reason heater would burn out in last chamber of sump is if inlet and overflow were both blocked)
Middle chamber => ceramic rings
RH chamber => return pump + protein skimmer (had to angle the skimmer, as too tall)

Skimmer is 'berlin air lift 90g' with a 2x300l/h air pump (both linked to skimmer) but not sure if I have set the valve on air pump to the best flow yet, as don't know the best 'foaminess'.

On Saturday I mixed the salt in the tank (@ 25'C to 1.023SG) and then rinsed / added the coral sand (using a bowl). Since then the water has been cloudy, but not sure if its just cos never rinsed the sand enough or what.

There doesn't seem to be much filter going on, is there something I can add to the sump?

Thx

Lost Jock,

The cloudiness is from the sand I expect, mine need lots and lots of rinsing to get it clean. It should settle down soon enough. The sump should have come with filter pads, you could add one of these to help clean up the tank initially and then remove it though.....

Thx Jetbox,

Actually added one of the sponges to the middle tank yesterday and put the skimmer in LH chamber with the inlet, as read this was best. Although my sump is not deep enough to put it in vertically to the required water level (few inches short). Seems to foam ok, but getting foam coming out of a small hole at the top of the collection cup (which I guess defeats the purpose) and finding it hard to stop the foam just short / way to short.

Cloudiness gone!

Still wondering about other filter materials I could add in the middle sump chamber, other than the ceramic rings. Is anything else needed?

live rock is the best. I just got some more mail order, not as good as the handed picked stuff from my LFS but will be fine for the sump. Going to break some up a bit and fill up one of the chambers....

My cabinet is filling up with stuff now... not much spare space...

How is your evaporation??? I need to top up approx 1.5 litres a day, getting a bit of a pain already

Still wondering about other filter materials I could add in the middle sump chamber, other than the ceramic rings. Is anything else needed?

Some (I) would argue that it may be best to leave the chamber clear of any filter media or ceramics for bio-filtration simply because they can trap nutrients in your tank. If anything, I might add a large filter/sponge and be SURE to clean it once a week.

Not sure on evapouration, as when I put the skimmer in at an angle a few nights ago (on too high a flow) it shot foam over the floor all night! Not a big deal as had too much water in to add rock.

Finaly got skimmer sorted, as had a meeting with a client today & the guy was bang into marine fish.

Live rock for sump it is then, will take out the ceramic rings and use a sponge (as seems to collect crap if nothing else).

Just starting to test the water to make sure its stable before adding the rock, will let u know how evapouration goes.

Hi,

Parametres all good and stable. Clean up crew are all doing fine and busy working. Still got diatoms but the phosphate level is a little high so to be expected. Plan to add some Rowaphos into the MCE 600 too this weekend to get the level in check.

The plan is to get my first fish this weekend!!! Just a couple of Percula clowns (nothing too exotic) but well excited all the same...

:good: :good: :good:

Added all the rock I could get from the LFS today, which isn't enough. Hope they get some more soon.

3.jpg

Checked out the water beforehand and it needed about 10-15ltrs since I first filled it about 2weeks ago => 1ltre per day top up!

Need a bit more live rock.[/quote]

looking good.... lost jock.

No fish for me yet :angry: as my LFS have no clowns at the moment, hopefully this weekend. Plenty of colour in the tank now though, lots of coraline algae starting to appear and some green stuff too. plenty for the CUC to eat.

This how it looks today!!!

P1020146__2_.jpg

no fish yet but here's one of my Hermits hard at work...

fish_011.jpg

Hey Jetbox, colours looking cool.

Love the clean up crew, best of luck with the clown fish and post a pic when you get them!

My light is a bit white, have you came accross any blue lighting that could be used when the white is off?

Most reactions

Back