Random Discussion

Today, I am regretting the country life. I knew this would happen. A fish seller where I used to live has a fantastic order in, with a bunch of things I would have gone over and picked up in a heartbeat. I would have bought around $200 of fish (tetras and Corys)- his shipment is that good. But here in the boonies, I would have to add $170 in shipping.

Oh well. You can't have everything.

The only time I regret country living, is when the well freezes, I run out of LP gas for heat, or the septic tank backs up...

most people from the city don't think about those things...

I’m on well and septic too. We get frequent winter power outages in our wooded area so no bathwater, toilets or heat For up to several days. Heaters in fish tanks stop working too.

My ideal would be this place, with a subway connection in the basement to run me 9 hours to the next major city with good aquarium stores. I'm on city water and sewage because there's an old school just north of me. That ends three houses down from me. I'm within city limits, but beside a UNESCO Nature Park, so it's like a seaside rural road.

If I was going to live in the country, it's nice to be 20 minutes from a city centre, albeit a very small city. There's a little brick and cement within easy travel range, just to feel right.

We're in a storm tonight, and the Bay is spectacular. Well, it was when there was enough light to see it.

A few winters ago, we did not get our heating oil delivery on time and then a major snowstorm hit dumping 3 feet of snow. We also lost power. The oil truck couldn’t deliver oil because of the snow. Temperature in the house fell to 45F. no lights, no water, couldn’t flush toilets. we were snowbound, and without power for five days. Not pretty.

A few winters ago, we did not get our heating oil delivery on time and then a major snowstorm hit dumping 3 feet of snow. We also lost power. The oil truck couldn’t deliver oil because of the snow. Temperature in the house fell to 45F. no lights, no water, couldn’t flush toilets. we were snowbound, and without power for five days. Not pretty.
Baltimore, eh? Tough town.

Noted…. Do not live in the country…

water, heating, and toilet issues and wild whistlingbadgers….
Nah, I live in town now. Hopefully it's temporary, though.

Our old place had a wood stove, so heat wasn't a huge problem during outages. But the water pump quit working. If a big storm was in the forecase we, too, would bring in buckets of water for flushing and drinking.

As posted in another thread I ordered a new table lamp from Walmart. Initially the delivery date was something like December 6 or 7. Now it shows delivery on November 30 with bright red text next to the delivery date stating that my order is arriving early. This isn't an isolated case but happens just about every time I order from Walmart and the local store does not have the item.

I suppose this is a good marketing practice as one would be like "Oh cool! I'm getting it a week early." but don't they think that a consumer is going to catch on after it happens all the time? ;)

Most reactions

Back