Random Discussion

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I started eating cats during the pandemic because there was no food in the shops and I was starving to death. There were cats all over the neighbourhood causing problems and the council wouldn't do anything about them. I was hungry and there was no food in the shops. There was food coming onto my property every night waking me up. Do the maths.
over-the-garden-wall-otgw.gif

To all the cats who gotten eaten by Colin...

Gouldians be expensive though 😂

The cheapest I've seen is $100 🥲
The new mutations are expensive but if you go for the plain original colours they are cheap as chips nowadays. You shouldn't be paying more than $20 a bird.

A planted aviary sounds incredible, and Gouldian finches are absolutely stunning! Out of curiosity (and absolutely random), is welded wire safe to build a bird enclosure with? I have heard no, because it has zinc coating?
All galvanised metal has zinc on it from the galvanising process. This includes all types of bird wire, including weld mesh (welded wire). Weld mesh (welded wire) is actually stronger than normal budgie wire and comes in a range of different gauges (wire thickness). You want a reasonably thick wire to stop cats, dogs, foxes and other animals from getting through the wire. Most animals can go through budgie wire so a decent gauge of weld mesh is best.

To get rid of the zinc most bird shops keep the rolls of wire outside in the elements so it gets sunlight and rain. The combination of sun and rain helps to remove the zinc residue. It takes about 6 months of being in the weather to make the wire safe.

You can also wash the wire with white vinegar to get rid of the zinc. It's more effort but quicker. But if you talk to the bird shops, they will usually cut the wire from the oldest roll so it should have less zinc on it.

For most finches, use 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch weld mesh, or 1 inch x 1/2 inch weld mesh. Smaller species of finch (African Fire, Double Bars, Cubans) are better in cages with 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch wire. Gouldians are pretty big for finches due to domestication and are fine with 1 inch x 1/2 inch weld mesh.

If you have mice in the area, you can put a layer of mouse wire over the aviary too. Mouse wire is 1/4 inch x 1/4 inch and stops rodents going through the wire.

Anybody ever notice how rude people are to disabled people? Like I actually didn't fully notice before. It's mental. You can walk into a store fine and get no reaction, but if you use canes or a wheelchair you get dirty looks. If a healthy person drops something often someone will just automatically reach down and help, but today all I saw were disgusted looks because, oh you're just in a wheelchair. Not looking for a pity party just my little rant for today

Its mostly just the instant change, like 5 minutes before you're walking with no mobility aids, and you're treated fine, but then you get in a wheelchair it changes

Anybody ever notice how rude people are to disabled people? Like I actually didn't fully notice before. It's mental. You can walk into a store fine and get no reaction, but if you use canes or a wheelchair you get dirty looks. If a healthy person drops something often someone will just automatically reach down and help, but today all I saw were disgusted looks because, oh you're just in a wheelchair. Not looking for a pity party just my little rant for today
I've def seen others act like that toward disabled people. I guess its just something that somehow got engraved in people's heads that disabled people are somehow weird and different.

I've def seen others act like that toward disabled people. I guess its just something that somehow got engraved in people's heads that disabled people are somehow weird and different.
Yeh for me the main thing was I was treated just fine in the same place 5 minutes earlier until I was in a wheelchair, that instant change annoyed me lol

Yeh for me the main thing was I was treated just fine in the same place 5 minutes earlier until I was in a wheelchair, that instant change annoyed me lol
yeah i feel you. just wondering, what causes you to be walking one minute and not the next? you don't need to tell if you don't want

So sad! People just dont have hearts anymore...

I have EDS, I makes.me sprain and dislocage my joints
yeah i feel you. just wondering, what causes you to be walking one minute and not the next? you don't need to tell if you don't want

I have EDS, I makes.me sprain and dislocage my joints
A curiosity question real quick... How do you bring your wheel chair around? Is it in your car and someone grabs it for you when something happens? Just curious, you dont have to answer if you dont have to.

Most reactions

Back