Questions About Oscars

nathanFoudray

Reaction score
ive heard many things about oscars and i need verification. first, i heard that oscars raised from babies together will sometimes become very attached to eachother, or other times they will fight when the grow bigger, second i heard that silver dollars make great tankmates if you just have a single oscar. please tell me what i should do for tankmates for an oscar.

it depends on the individual fish

and yes silver dollers do make good fish to go with oscars as they swim fast so the oscar cant catch them aswell aslo what size tank are they for

Nathan, we would need to know your tank size before we can advise. A single Oscar can be housed in a 55 gallon, but bigger is always better. Silver Dollars do make good tank mates for Oscar's as they are fast and an awkward shape for O's to get their mouths around. As for other Oscar's, once paired Oscar's usually pair for life and if one dies or gets moved, it is a well known fact that the Oscar can sulk for a long time afterwards.

Whilst you can keep a single Oscar in a 55g (4ft, 14"wide) tank, it doesnt allow it a great deal of space, particulary considering they can reach 14-18", imagine trying to turn in that space.

So, obviously the larger the tank the better, personally a 75g (4ft, 18" MINIMUM) is what I would say is the smallest you should keep a single Oscar in.

Buying two young does not guarantee they will be friends for life, in a lot of cases, once they reach maturity, they will fight for dominance (and territory) and this can leave either one or both seriously injured. There is no way of sexing them until a pair forms, so buying two in the hope they will pair up is not a good idea. Whilst two from young can and does work, you have to be prepared for the fact that it wont. From your other thread, the 40g tank is not large enough for even one.

You obviously need good filtration with an Oscar as they are extremely messy fish, so plenty of water changes too, they also require a good staple diet along with live/frozen foods (not as some people think feeder fish as these offer no nutrional value) and if the tank is large enough you can house some large dither fish, like silver dollars, tinfoil barbs, bala sharks etc but these need to be large when introduced so they are not seen as food, an Oscar will consider anything it can fit in its mouth as food. They grow large quickly, with good food and water conditions, they can grow an inch + a month until they reach 8", where upon they slow slightly until they reach full size, so obviously they have large appetites and large mouths!

Most reactions

Back