Oscars eating Blue Acaras

Quigzy

Reaction score
Brand new to aquariums, just finished cycling my first tank. Getting an Oscar and a Blue Acara for my 90 gallon.

My question is, can I just get them both at the same time and let them grow up together, or should I get the Blue Acara first and let it grow up a bit. I've heard about how quick Oscars grow and don't want it eating the Acara a few months down the line.

Thanks very much for any help.

Oscars are predators. If they can eat it, they will. But the acara would be quite a mouthful.

Oscars are predators. If they can eat it, they will. But the acara would be quite a mouthful.
Right. So my question is, should I buy them both together or should I get the Acara first and let it grow up a bit?

Small Oscars are much more aggressive than big ones. One juvenile Oscar in a tank with one other fish… I wouldn’t expect that to go at all well. I’d grow the Oscar to adult before adding the Acara. Then of course you’d need to add an adult Acara.
But oscar/s with just one other fish will always be risky. When the Oscar gets bored it’ll take it out on the Acara.

Small Oscars are much more aggressive than big ones. One juvenile Oscar in a tank with one other fish… I wouldn’t expect that to go at all well. I’d grow the Oscar to adult before adding the Acara.
Wouldn't a full size Oscar just eat a young Acara?

My answer would be maybe. I don't think you'll get a rule for that.

@Ichthys posted while I was writing this, and I agree with that post. 2 Cichlids is a danger, and Oscars tend to vary individually a bit in terms of their aggression.

Wouldn't a full size Oscar just eat a young Acara?
Probably. That’s why you’d need to add a big one.

But as Gary said, fish, especially cichlids, are individuals. And one Oscar on its own in a fish tank isn’t a natural situation so you can’t really predict it’s behaviour.

We’re talking about the Blue Acara, yes, and not the Electric Blue Acara? You won’t find many EBAs big enough to live with an Oscar.

Last edited:
We’re talking about the Blue Acara, yes, and not the Electric Blue Acara? You won’t find an EBA big enough to live with an Oscar
As new and clueless as I am, even I know this isn't true.

To drag this back on track, does anyone else know the answer to my original question -
Should I buy them both together or should I get the Acara first and let it grow up a bit?

Thanks
Dave

I'm not a cichlid expert by any means, but I think both Ichthys and Gary are trying to tell you that this is a risky idea, and there might not be a right way to do it. So there might not be a definitive answer to your question.

I set up a 180 gallon back in April and my first fish in the tank was a blue acara and once it cycled I added my full grown Jack Dempsey and bought an Oscar shortly after. At the moment I currently have a 6-7 inch Oscar, 8 inch Dempsey and still a small blue acara, small chocolate cichlid, small turquoise Severum, and a tiny firemouth cichlid and my Oscar doesn’t bother my blue acara or any other fish at all. my blue acara is about 3 inches at the moment and it pretty bulky. I don’t think he will ever be viewed as food by my oscar. I would say give it a go maybe get the acara and let it have the tank for a month or 2 to establish itself a bit. Any plans to add other smaller fish ?

I set up a 180 gallon back in April and my first fish in the tank was a blue acara and once it cycled I added my full grown Jack Dempsey and bought an Oscar shortly after. At the moment I currently have a 6-7 inch Oscar, 8 inch Dempsey and still a small blue acara, small chocolate cichlid, small turquoise Severum, and a tiny firemouth cichlid and my Oscar doesn’t bother my blue acara or any other fish at all. my blue acara is about 3 inches at the moment and it pretty bulky. I don’t think he will ever be viewed as food by my oscar. I would say give it a go maybe get the acara and let it have the tank for a month or 2 to establish itself a bit. Any plans to add other smaller fish ?
Do you find that oscars vary widely in their temperaments? The only cichlids I have much experience with is angelfish, and it's definitely true of them.

As with most cichlids you never know what you’re going to get with temperament but this is my 3rd oscar and I’ve never had one that was aggressive. They will throw their body weight around when it’s feeding time which can be intimidating to smaller fish but that’s about it. I feel if an Oscar fish isn’t threatened by any other fish there’s a good chance you won’t have any issues with it.

This is the most useful answer I've had to this, so thank you. The two fish stores I asked in, one said you'd be fine to get both together and the other said to let the Acara grow for a year first, so you can see why I've asked around.

I have now have a Green Severum, Blue Moorii and Electric blue Acara, all young and small, in my tank. At this point think I'll give it till new year to give them a little time to settle and grow a tad then get the Oscar.

I will worry about the dolphin (Moorii) disappearing though, as he isn't very girthy at the moment.

Last edited:
I have now have a Green Severum, Blue Moorii and Electric blue Acara,
Again not the slightest bit concerned about the needs of the fish. You’ll do what you want to do regardless of advice which just makes me wonder why you asked at all.

Last edited:
So, blatantly not the slightest bit concerned about the needs of the fish. Exactly as I thought. You’ll do what you want to do regardless of advice which just make me wonder why you asked at all.
I really wish you hadn't got involved in this thread. It feels like you're just lashing out in general, which is unhelpful, if understandable. I had a spell like that when I was going through a rough time with my divorce.

I will answer the jab (criticism?) though, as it's inherently wrong. The needs of the fish is my only concern here. I'm going off what was actually a couple of really useful posts from Kev. If anyone (else, thanks Ichthys - but your job here is done) has anything in regards to the timing of getting the Oscar, I'd love to hear it.

Most reactions

Back