Powerheads?

RMcdowell

Reaction score
Okay ive just replaced my pump/airstones in my 4foot tanks Under Gravel Filter with 2 SunSun 1000ltr/hr Powerheads from ebay.

Ive have no experience with powerheads and installed them as per user guide that came with them but one of them makes a hell of a
racket noise wise.
If I remove the propeller unit from the noisy unit and place it in the other silent powerhead the bad noise travels with that particular propeller unit.
(i.e. the other powerhead becomes silent).

Ive compared both propeller units together and they look Identical.. No faults can be seen etc.

I returned the noisy propeller unit to the ebay seller (whos got a large aquarium equipment shop) at his request and hes just emailed me back saying
the propeller unit tests fine.

He suggested that I unscrew the cap off the other water outlet on the powerhead (that you can screw a larger hose to for draining the tank) Is this right??
I did test this and it was silent with this cap off but there was a VERY powerful water current comming out of it and assumed this was just for draining the tank?.

The other powerhead unit is fine (i.e. totally silent) with this cap on.

Help/advice would be much appreciated.

powerheads are not filters, they are water circulators, so unless you have another filter in your tank i would switch them back

powerheads are not filters, they are water circulators, so unless you have another filter in your tank i would switch them back

I thought that the undergravel filter would still work (but more powerfully) with the powerheads as opposed to the
airstone/pump route as both systems pull water through the gravel and back out through the clear tubes at each end of the tank???

Also I have 2 Fluval filters in my tank to perform additional filtering.

You can use a power head to give better flow on a UGF. It sounds like your vendor has had this kind of noise problem before and found it is often less annoying with a part removed. If someone told me I couldn't use second gear in my car because it made noise, I would not consider that a fix. I might avoid second gear until I could get it fixed butit sounds like one of your power heads does have a problem and that it is a common problem for your model.

Most reactions

Back