[Tutorial] Diy Python System

Is there not a risk of introducing copper from the hot water cylinder by taking water directly from it or does the Seachem Prime take care of that?

Is there not a risk of introducing copper from the hot water cylinder by taking water directly from it or does the Seachem Prime take care of that?

I've yet to see a method of getting hot water into a tank that doesn't involve some element of risk. Heating from a kettle doesn't seem much better (especially if you live in a hard water area more prone to limescale etc), and I'm far too clumsy to be boiling water in a pan and carrying it up to my tank. I also don't see how heating water in a metal container yourself is better than using water from the metal container in my attic. I do have a bamboo shrimp in my tank though and I've noticed no change in him since I started doing this.

If it is a concern though, you can always just drip in cold water slow enough that the heater can keep up. I do this anyway as there's never enough hot water to refill my tank.

I generally fill with cold water only, slowly so as not to cause shock, but usually results in a 2 degree drop in tank temp from 26/27 to 24/25. Fish dont seem bothered by this behaving normally and not showing any signs of stress.

Brillant idea :nod: I think i may use this advice once i try my attempt :)

As my Rio180 is in my bedroom,
I use a Fluval3 head with a dedicated hosepipe bought specially for the job to empty the water from tank to bath,
I set the head to the water height I want to remove so it's not possible to take too much out.
When it's time to refill, I attatch the pipe end that was emptying into the bath, to the electric shower outlet pipe,
set it to 30C and low flow, then off we go :D
Dechlorinator in the tank 1st of course. Easy peasy, no fuss, no mess.

Before emptying, I hoover the substrate thoroughly, taking my time ( it's quite relaxing :) )
agitating the sand a little with a spare fish net to help kick up any buried poop. Works really well.

I live in a townhouse and my tank is on the first floor so water changes involve me trecking up or downstairs with full buckets numerous times. I am wanting a bigger tank, so this is going to be even more laborious. Since I have gravity on my side, I can't believe I never thought of this earlier.
If anyone is still listening, can I syphon straight out the window onto the garage roof?
Also, if I employ this system, do I have to dechlorinate the whole tank, or just the displaced water?

You can siphon the water anywhere you want it to go. It does take a little longer if you're siphoning to a place above the level of your tank as it has to work against gravity but it does work.

You need to dose enough dechlor to cover the whole tank, not just the water you're replacing. If you're using a concentrated dechlor like Prime I find the small amount extra I might be spending in dechlor is definitely worth it compared to how much easier it is. I bought a 500ml bottle of Prime back in November for my 60L tank and I've still got loads left.

Hi there,

I've just upgraded to a 180L tank from a 48L and I'm a little daunted by the prospect of 60L+ water changes every week (I haven't had to do one yet!). I was going to splash out on this Aqueon Water Changer but it's only available in the US and by the time I get it shipped to the UK it's £60! Now, if I've read correctly, this is the same as what you've done - minus syphon attachment and powerhead? Would you mind having a look and letting me know?

Many thanks!!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The Aqueon system and the other commercial equivalents utilise a venturi system which causes a vacuum via a constant water flow. They use a similar system in labs to desicate crystals. The Diy system here uses a powerhead, but you can use y-splitter hose adapter instead of the Aqueon waterbed type t-piece valve. I'm no expert on this but there are several threads on here which elaborate in greater detail. A bit of research and you'll realise 60 clams is a bit expensive.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/250013-how-to-make-a-diy-python/page__hl__diy+python

Oh cool! Thanks so much for the link, I'll check that out - either one I choose it's def going to be DIY!

This is interesting, but I always understood that garden water hoses are not aquarium safe. The chemicals in the pvc can leach into the water.

Just get the clear pvc hose instead, that way you can count how many fish you hoover up
hehe.gif

B&Q sell it by the meter over by the chains and rope section

If I could modify it so that I could also use the power head to gravel vac without emptying water it would be perfect (have another thread on this)

Just get the marina battery powered vac for £16 and be done :p it's not a perfect bit of kit but does the job for me!

Most reactions

Back