[Tutorial] Diy Python System

Just get the marina battery powered vac for £16 and be done :p it's not a perfect bit of kit but does the job for me!

Like the sound of this, been trying to figure out methods to avoid hauling buckets around.

I've seen something elsewhere about using a a two way switched splitter on the tap. Run the water from one side of the split into the sink until the temp is right then switch to flow into the tank.

Andy

Just get the marina battery powered vac for £16 and be done :p it's not a perfect bit of kit but does the job for me!

Like the sound of this, been trying to figure out methods to avoid hauling buckets around.

I've seen something elsewhere about using a a two way switched splitter on the tap. Run the water from one side of the split into the sink until the temp is right then switch to flow into the tank.

Andy

I expect it to be very slow though

thanks CezzaXV, I've ordered my parts, looks a lot easier am always spilling water!

on ebay the seller Babz is selling a 15m hose with a nozzle set for £5.99 Free P&P
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15M-METER-GARDEN-HOSE-REEL-PIPE-NOZZLES-HOSEPIPIE-SPRAY-NOZZLE-SET-/150846714792?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenEquipment_HandTools_SM&hash=item231f2a33a8

They also sell a multi-tap connector for £3.49 Free P&P
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tap-Garden-Hose-Pipe-Connector-Round-Square-Mixer-Taps-Adaptor-/150829596191?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenEquipment_HandTools_SM&hash=item231e24fe1f

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I need to work on a similar system as this when I get my larger tank up and running. Whilst buckets are a pain I've coped ok with them so far.
2 things are bothering me!
I can siphon out of the window onto the shed roof, from where it will drain into a butt and can then be used for the plants (if it ever stops raining!) therefore don't need to power the process. BUT if I'm cleaning the gravel as I siphon, which I usually do, I won't know if any little fish have gone with the poop! I confess I've never had to rescue any out of my bucket, but I still always check before tipping out the water!
Also adding such a large amount of water treatment to the existing 50% water level before topping it up? Is that not a problem to the fish? I faffingly add the small recommended dose to each and every 10 litre bucket I fill!!! - pain in the ... But I thought that's how it had to be done!
BTW - if you're gravity siphoning, you only need to suck the water over the highest point, not the whole length of the hose, for the water to start flowing. With my shorter hose and bucket method, I dunk the whole hose in, thumb over the draining end and take it down to the bucket - voila, water flow and not a drop drunk!

On my gravel vac I use separately to this system, I just fixed some dress netting over the end. The holes are big enough to still allow poop through but too small for fish to get sucked into.

Prime is safe to overdose up to five times the normal amount. I would imagine most other dechlorinators are the same. I'm told the reason for dosing enough for the whole tank rather than just the water you're adding is something to do with natural processes in your tank using up some of the dechlor, but a lot of people have been doing this for years before I started fishkeeping without any troubles.

Most reactions

Back